Business Ethics or Lack of Them... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:11 AM   #11
Focal
You come into this hobby knowing what you already know and until we steer further away from sales and more towards knowledge, it will reamin the same.

I thought I was a great "hobbiest" before I came here. I have been able to fine tune my skills based on practices by a VERY SLIM FEW on here. However, every person you help to get on the right track is your competition. So is it better to help those in need or shun those in need? Not everyone can be helped, but I at least try to reply to one persons request for help everyday. It seems like some people are on here every day, laying out opinions, chastising others, and bumping numerous for sale ads... but very few of these people are answering questions in the discussion or help forums.

I am no saint. I ask a million questions and steer far away from those that are questionable. But are they questionable because they don't know or because they don't care. It's a crappy situation. I think I steered way of topic, sorry but it's shorter and more on track than the first reply I was gonna post

Old 01-21-2011, 12:13 PM   #12
deborahbroadus
This can be true, depends on who you hang with. I've been blessed to have friends/breeders that I can ask questions, but FIRST AND FOREMOST, I do my own research.

I think one of the problems out there now is that people want to be spoonfed (no I am not implying you) and this is not something a lot of people will do for anyone. Knowledge is acquired though work and tinkering with what you learn. Further, fine tuning of that knowledge and experience that you have gained leds breeders down very different paths.

For instance, some breeders cool BPs, I don't. The people I asked questions from, cooled, researching for myself (different posts and results of breeders...(you have to read between the lines) lead me to my current set up. See, we can't just ask questions. What works for me may not work for someone else.

People have become more wary (I know I have) of posting pics of their set ups with good reason. However, I know I have posts all over (mostly on another forum) explaining what I do and how successful for me it is...(see if anyone that has questions had done some research, they might have found it.)

Some of us have the questions that are being asked constantly over on our websites, too. Actually, the answers are all over the forums everywhere..... I don't know how else we can make it so easy for those REALLY wanting to breed.

But in another vein of sharing information: it's interesting...because Shadera started a thread on selective breeding, we could have learned in there, but since so many want to just throw some cheap animals together, that thread didn't get much traffic, so there's no pictures of animals we plan to pair, how to identify some good morph traits to pass on...etc. Breeders try constantly to share information...all anyone has to do is READ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal X View Post
You come into this hobby knowing what you already know and until we steer further away from sales and more towards knowledge, it will reamin the same.

I thought I was a great "hobbiest" before I came here. I have been able to fine tune my skills based on practices by a VERY SLIM FEW on here. However, every person you help to get on the right track is your competition. So is it better to help those in need or shun those in need? Not everyone can be helped, but I at least try to reply to one persons request for help everyday. It seems like some people are on here every day, laying out opinions, chastising others, and bumping numerous for sale ads... but very few of these people are answering questions in the discussion or help forums.

I am no saint. I ask a million questions and steer far away from those that are questionable. But are they questionable because they don't know or because they don't care. It's a crappy situation. I think I steered way of topic, sorry but it's shorter and more on track than the first reply I was gonna post

Old 01-21-2011, 12:29 PM   #13
Focal
Absoultely, I hear you on the "spoon fed" idea and if someone really wants to learn, it's out there already. Slim compared to other hobbies I've engaged it, but I'm a search-a-holic and always seem to find most of what I'm looking for. Some people have a hard time looking for answers (I work with most of them LOL) and just expect answers. At least twice a week I'm showing my dad how to use google. No foul intentions on his part, times just weren't in his favor.

Maybe it really does boil down to drive and "survival of the fittest." But a good deal can easily cut out survivers. It's a vicous cycle.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #14
Shadera
My apologies for going off topic here Deb, but I'd love to get a group of people together who would be interested in sharing things and bouncing ideas off one another. I think a group like that would have a lot of value for people who genuinely want to learn and better their own experience with these animals.

I am relatively new, but what I have done along the way is research - forums, talking to breeders, and reading books, applied some of the ideas I thought might work for me, and then have modified some stuff even beyond that. A lot of this is common sense. I remember hearing a breeder say once, that you have to be a student of the serpent. There is much you can learn just by observing these guys, but I see so many just toss a pair together before they really have had much experience with even keeping them as pets. This is my fourth year building a serious collection (after having owned balls on and off since the early 90's), and I am just now getting into my first "real" breeding season.

Anyhoo, back to the regularly scheduled program.

I think it's time to be more selective with our buyers too. I'm tired of people thinking they can bully sellers into this or that. If we (as a group) could stop feeding that mentality it would disappear. But unfortunately, it's like it used to be with the truckers. Can't get everyone to unite. For anything.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #15
Lucille
Quote:
VERY SLIM FEW .
Watch it, bud. Some of us are not so slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal X
However, every person you help to get on the right track is your competition. So is it better to help those in need or shun those in need?
There are stories about Rockefeller, and how he was a very nice person, but merciless in dealing with his competitors. I don't know if I could be like that.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:38 PM   #16
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille View Post
Watch it, bud. Some of us are not so slim

There are stories about Rockefeller, and how he was a very nice person, but merciless in dealing with his competitors. I don't know if I could be like that.
I don't think it's much about being "merciless" or "shunning competition," Some of the breeders popping up, simply do not know how to accept advice gracefully. Someone else will come in and dispute another's advice instead of saying something simple like, "Here's another option, too." Some people simply offer bad advice and there's someone that wants to help trying to correct both of them...never-ending mess.

Then, there's always someone that wants to jump in and defend someone or someone elses way, instead of just letting people offer advice to the person and let the person shift though the advice and take it or leave it.

Frankly, I save my energy for arguing on the BOI, I am not interested in arguing with someone that doesn't want my advice or some one that wants to play "One upmanship"

Old 01-21-2011, 01:39 PM   #17
deborahbroadus
Count me IN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagickalMorphs View Post
My apologies for going off topic here Deb, but I'd love to get a group of people together who would be interested in sharing things and bouncing ideas off one another. I think a group like that would have a lot of value for people who genuinely want to learn and better their own experience with these animals.

I am relatively new, but what I have done along the way is research - forums, talking to breeders, and reading books, applied some of the ideas I thought might work for me, and then have modified some stuff even beyond that. A lot of this is common sense. I remember hearing a breeder say once, that you have to be a student of the serpent. There is much you can learn just by observing these guys, but I see so many just toss a pair together before they really have had much experience with even keeping them as pets. This is my fourth year building a serious collection (after having owned balls on and off since the early 90's), and I am just now getting into my first "real" breeding season.

Anyhoo, back to the regularly scheduled program.

I think it's time to be more selective with our buyers too. I'm tired of people thinking they can bully sellers into this or that. If we (as a group) could stop feeding that mentality it would disappear. But unfortunately, it's like it used to be with the truckers. Can't get everyone to unite. For anything.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:48 PM   #18
mikeyt
I'd like to first say that I agree with Deb and Shadera on all of this. Honesty and integrity are not the only two things missing from todays reptile industry.

I dont generally like to comment like this on here, because as a general rule none of us can barely win a disagreement with our other halves (which only involves 2 people), why on earth would anyone think they can win an argument here (with thousands of opinions). Hence, why Deb chooses to save energy and not argue on here. LOL

But here I go, lets face it, old school is gone (with the exception of the few of us still practicing it), and the new school is in session. Filled with scammers, quick money makers, backyard breeders, fly by nighters and the list goes on.

BUT, it is alot of us (the breeders) who are at faught for what is going on today. We have allowed the prices and the values of our animals to drop, not the economy, not the guy next door, but US., as well as those who continue to support and go for the cheap prices and junk quality of the backyard breeder and fly by nighter.

So until we all do the same as Deb, and learn to selectively choose who we support and buy from, the garbage and the crap will remain. Until then, we will have to continue to listen to all the whiners out there who got stiffed because they wanted the better deal.

You go Deb, 100%

Old 01-22-2011, 03:19 PM   #19
hhmoore
Quote:
It seems like some people are on here every day, laying out opinions, chastising others, and bumping numerous for sale ads... but very few of these people are answering questions in the discussion or help forums.
Some of those people have done their time fielding questions and giving assistance in the forums. Heck, that is largely how I built my online reputation when I got back into breeding. It doesn't matter how much you give, the demand just continues to grow. It doesn't matter how many times, or in how many ways, you answer the same question; it will continue to be asked, over and over, as if nobody had ever wondered that before. It gets old; and, as life goes on, people decide to focus their energies on other things.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:13 PM   #20
KelliH
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyt View Post
I'd like to first say that I agree with Deb and Shadera on all of this. Honesty and integrity are not the only two things missing from todays reptile industry.

I dont generally like to comment like this on here, because as a general rule none of us can barely win a disagreement with our other halves (which only involves 2 people), why on earth would anyone think they can win an argument here (with thousands of opinions). Hence, why Deb chooses to save energy and not argue on here. LOL

But here I go, lets face it, old school is gone (with the exception of the few of us still practicing it), and the new school is in session. Filled with scammers, quick money makers, backyard breeders, fly by nighters and the list goes on.

BUT, it is alot of us (the breeders) who are at faught for what is going on today. We have allowed the prices and the values of our animals to drop, not the economy, not the guy next door, but US., as well as those who continue to support and go for the cheap prices and junk quality of the backyard breeder and fly by nighter.

So until we all do the same as Deb, and learn to selectively choose who we support and buy from, the garbage and the crap will remain. Until then, we will have to continue to listen to all the whiners out there who got stiffed because they wanted the better deal.

You go Deb, 100%
Those people have always been in this business, just like all other types of businesses. What made it much more obvious is the internet.

The majority of folks I've met in this business are wonderful people. There will always be scammers around, but lucky for us we have more resources these days, like this website, to expose them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!