Divorce and snakes - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:21 AM   #11
kellysballs
I feel for you during your divorce. I hope that the judge can be fair with you because it ultimately comes down to him/her. I think that you can give away or "sell" the snakes before the divorce papers are filed. Just "sell" them all to a buddy for $100.00 and wright her a check for half of the sale. That should cover your butt. But you could always talk to a lawyer and get advice since they would know best. One thing I do know is YOU need to file first. The petitoner always has the upper hand legally. So if you are going thru with it lawyer up before she does.

Good Luck!

Old 02-07-2010, 09:30 AM   #12
Clay Davenport
If it was me, and I thought she was going to be that vindictive, I'd "sell" the entire collection, cages and all, to a good friend. I'd do it immediately, before any papers were filed.
I'd make it look legit, but still keep it at a fraction of their actual value. Meaning I wouldn't sell the whole lot for a dollar, but if I estimated my collection was worth 10 grand I'd sell it for 2 thousand or something.

Then at worst she could hit you for half the proceeds of the sale, but couldn't touch your animals. Once it was all over you recover your animals from the friend you sold them to. No money even need change hands between you and the friend, just make sure he is someone you trust.

Things are all too often done out of spite for the other person. It's best to cover your bases whenever possible. I have always felt fortunate that my wife is like the least vindictive person who ever lived. She would never do something just to hurt me like that, nor would I her. I suppose mine is one of those fairy tale separations mentioned earlier lol.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:32 AM   #13
hhmoore
Lawyers are why divorces get SO ugly and expensive, lol.
I don't know your situation; but if she wants the divorce, and you're willing to talk to her instead of fighting til the bitter end, the result can be cheaper and a lot less stressful. Of course, if she's out to screw you, you're screwed....

Old 02-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #14
jntreptiles
I have to agree with Kelly on this one. I went thru a divorce several years ago, and prioir to that all I ever heard from my wife was about how she was gonna try and take my snakes, and make sure I lost everything I had worked so hard for. She never once mentioned the house, the kids, or any personal property, just my snakes.

Well I wasnt about to let that happen, she never once touched them, took care of them, or had anything to do with them. you need to find a good friend (someone you can trust), and have them agree to buy into your collection (with no money), and have papers drawn up and signed making it look legit. Therefore she will only be privy to half the proceeds if she pushes the issue. At the same time (especially if she has nothing to do with them), you and your friend start buying things (just cheap little things), and making quick sales, moving animals to add to the confusion of what is really in the collection, and what belongs to who.

Make sure to do some (phony) financial transactions between you and your friend in front of her that way she actually sees money changing hands between the two of you. Confusion can be a great thing.

The judge can only reward what he has proof of existing, The initial buy in for the set price, that is drawn up. And if it is drawn up to state (collection), that entails the entire collection, whether it was 50 animals then and 100 animals now.

Now I am sure their are some loop holes, but proof is on her

Old 02-07-2010, 06:33 PM   #15
jntreptiles
In the end it was to much paperwork, and to much for her to worry with that she totally forgot about the animals and left it alone

Old 02-07-2010, 11:16 PM   #16
Southern Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysballs View Post
I feel for you during your divorce. I hope that the judge can be fair with you because it ultimately comes down to him/her. I think that you can give away or "sell" the snakes before the divorce papers are filed. Just "sell" them all to a buddy for $100.00 and wright her a check for half of the sale. That should cover your butt. But you could always talk to a lawyer and get advice since they would know best. One thing I do know is YOU need to file first. The petitoner always has the upper hand legally. So if you are going thru with it lawyer up before she does.

Good Luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Davenport View Post
If it was me, and I thought she was going to be that vindictive, I'd "sell" the entire collection, cages and all, to a good friend. I'd do it immediately, before any papers were filed.
I'd make it look legit, but still keep it at a fraction of their actual value. Meaning I wouldn't sell the whole lot for a dollar, but if I estimated my collection was worth 10 grand I'd sell it for 2 thousand or something.

Then at worst she could hit you for half the proceeds of the sale, but couldn't touch your animals. Once it was all over you recover your animals from the friend you sold them to. No money even need change hands between you and the friend, just make sure he is someone you trust.

Things are all too often done out of spite for the other person. It's best to cover your bases whenever possible. I have always felt fortunate that my wife is like the least vindictive person who ever lived. She would never do something just to hurt me like that, nor would I her. I suppose mine is one of those fairy tale separations mentioned earlier lol.
This is kinda my thoughts as well. Sell them to a good friend.... give her half VIA A CHECK so it can be traced if needed..... and wait for the storm to blow over.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:29 AM   #17
th3jok3r
hey man wanted to see how you were doing and how the lesser was coming along..... but I see you seem to be treading in murky waters... hope it works out for you

Old 02-16-2010, 12:43 AM   #18
Royal Morphz
Hey Pavy bring them down to vegas sell them to me for what ever amount and give her half then come and buy them back for your half

Old 02-16-2010, 12:25 PM   #19
Keith Stambaugh
Lot of good comments and facts. But I'll add my 2 cents worth. I just went through a divorce, and the bottom line was money. If there is value in it, then she was to get half of the value. At the same time, if a snake happen to be "sold" or "donated" away. It can't not be considered and you not bound by anything as mention in prior posts, as long as it's not already specifically mentioned. You have friends I'm sure, I'd temporailary "donate" those and revideo current household "pets".

Old 02-23-2010, 06:11 AM   #20
East_Coast
Lesson: be careful when you get married. Think about what you were doing ten or fifteen years ago and then consider that you are committing to stay with your wife for double, triple, or hopefully longer (if you live). AND when you have kids you will magnify the stress on your relationship and you'll have less time for snakes.

I'm not a relationship counselor.... Just a guy with 50 snakes who's been married for ten years and has four kids...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!