Looking for rational thoughts... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-30-2015, 02:12 AM   #11
Big Borg Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
I also have issues popping babies, especially smaller ones like my BRB's, though I've gotten better at it over the years. I have a friend come over and double check, and I don't tell him what I think it was so as not to sway him one way or the other.
I do the same thing to my partner Victoria, I sex them first and then tell her to do it so she can get practice

It definitely takes a little practice but after a couple dozen I found it pretty easy. Its one of those things you can't really learn from videos or watching, you just have to do it yourself (in my opinion anyway).

Old 04-04-2015, 06:18 PM   #12
SERPENTS DEN
If you have a photo document a reputable breeder would guarantee sex and genetics with no time limits and rectify the matter.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:08 PM   #13
NIGRO51
It may just be me but I have never asked for paperwork at a show nor have I ever seen anyone else ask. I was so focused on the risk of getting a het that the sex never occured to me.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:03 PM   #14
SERPENTS DEN
I usually provide paperwork and keep a copy in a folder on my puter. It benefits the customer if they also choose to sell or trade the animal in the future.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:51 PM   #15
chrisis697
I do the same with all my hets. I provide the buyer with a photo genetic & sex guarantee, plus keep a backup on the computer. Alot more ppl should take the time to do that also. Would definitely help ppl buy with more confidence, good thing for the hobby.
We picked up a het albino adult fem from a show from a reputable guy. Hes always at the shows i goto & have talked to him at every show. Last year we bred her to a visual albino male & got all normals. We are doing the same breeding this yr but with a different visual albino. Should i have said something to the breeder or wait to see what happens this yr?

Old 04-05-2015, 01:51 AM   #16
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIGRO51 View Post
Im in search of thoughts and suggestions on a situation because my first reactions are usually anger.

I purchased a baby "female het pied" back in 2011 from a reptile show. I knew it would take time to prove it out but felt confident in my purchase and wasnt in a rush to breed anyway. I do not powerfeed so she was finally up to weight last season and I was ready to breed. Paired with my visual pied male I witnessed a few locks but mostly fighting. The snake produced no eggs so I chalked it up to her not being ready.

Fast forward to this season. The snake is eating and growing like a beast so I can already see baby pieds hatching in my head. From the beginning the snake locks with my pied male with no issues so I think nothing of it.. until now. The rest of my females are gravid but this one seems slim in all the wrong places. I probe the snake and its a MALE!

What to do now>??....

Do I just bend over and take the loss because I should have made sure or do I rage a bit?....
I've lost count of the number of of females that I purchased from trusted sources which turned out to be males...
Nobody is perfect, mistakes happen, and - no matter how much we understand that gender doesn't change - there does seem to be a time limit on such complaints. I would make the situation known to the person that sold you the snake; but there's really no easy resolution that is likely to happen. I've never gotten (or expected) anything more than a sincere apology, and an offer to try to locate a female. Bottom line, confirm the gender in a timely manner - it's a lesson many of us have learned the hard way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisis697 View Post
We picked up a het albino adult fem from a show from a reputable guy. Hes always at the shows i goto & have talked to him at every show. Last year we bred her to a visual albino male & got all normals. We are doing the same breeding this yr but with a different visual albino. Should i have said something to the breeder or wait to see what happens this yr?
BP clutches are small enough that the results often don't match statistical expectations. A single pairing that doesn't give the expected results isn't enough to make the claim that you got ripped off - do another breeding before contacting the breeder.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:43 AM   #17
chrisis697
Ok very good, thanks Harald i appreciate the input.
Hope everyone has a happy easter!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!