RANT: "Please excuse the crappy packaging job..." - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 09-02-2005, 09:42 AM   #11
Tere Salazar
Bad Packaging

Completely agreed, Paul. I once received a subadult beardie packaged in an over-used, flimsy box with no insulation and a few balls of newspaper. The box had been squashed down to about 2" on one end, the end the beardie was in, of course. To top it off, the heat pack had run out, and she was cold as ice. And yes, she was still alive...amazingly! Recycling a box is one thing. But, this person proved that they didn't care whether the animal arrived alive or not.

If you don't have a really good recycled box (with plenty of support in case it gets squashed) or a new one, you shouldn't ship. And if you don't have the proper heating/cooling materials, you shouldn't ship!

Old 09-02-2005, 02:24 PM   #12
PaulSage
Why yes, I would like to continue ranting. Thank you very much. lol

Here's one other thing that bothers me about shipping and packaging. I have received some animals from well-established and experienced breeders that should (in my opinion) KNOW BETTER. Just because "I've never had a problem in the past" or "but, that's the way I always ship" I don't think that makes it okay to cut corners and tempt fate with an innocent animal's life.

yeah.

Old 09-02-2005, 02:28 PM   #13
jglass38
Rant on brother, rant on...

I have not shipped anything yet and I am so nervous about my first one. I just want to get it out of the way already!

Old 09-02-2005, 05:52 PM   #14
Jim O
I obsess over everything that I ship. I check overnight highs and lows here, there, and at the hubs in between. And I don't sleep well when I do.

I just shipped some snakes to Texas. The overnight temps were in the 70's but it was still 92 when I left the box at the FedEx distribution center at 5:30PM and was expected to be hot in Dallas the next afternoon should the package be delayed. I used a styro lined box, had paper towel in the deli cups to cushion the lil guys a bit, shredded paper throughout, and taped a frozen gel pack (free from the local pharmacy, BTW) to one side. They got there in perfect condition, delivered before 9AM.

If I do not have adequate shipping supplies I wait until I do.

Old 09-02-2005, 06:04 PM   #15
cthulhu77
Same boat here...although I receive shipments rarely, and send them even less...as I am into garter snakes (which most people just look at you funny when you say that), and they aren't really too much in demand. But, I do occasionaly have to deal with the delivery of animals on days when the lovely Phoenix temp is well over 100 degrees...and the way some people transport their animals is crazy. Clear plastic on the front seat???? Snake microwave.

greg

Old 09-02-2005, 06:07 PM   #16
PaulSage
I'm not saying this just to pat myself on the back or anything like that... I SWEAR. But this is what my first shipment looked like. I honestly spent hours preparing the tubs and measuring to make sure I had an appropriate sized box, cutting styrofoam, positioning the animals, etc. I was SO worried about them getting to their destination okay. Jim, I did the same that you did, checking temperatures at both ends, overnight, etc. They were supposed to arrive at their destination at 10:30, and at 10:31 I was REALLY getting nervous! lol When they did arrive, I even made the recipient stay on the phone while she opened and checked on every single one! Neurotic? Yes. But hey, it beats a cereal box and a ziploc full of melted ice cubes.

(by the way, I added two cool packs wrapped in bubble wrap and newspaper and finished filling the box with the syro. peanuts.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1stBox.jpg (27.0 KB, 72 views)

Old 09-02-2005, 06:30 PM   #17
leaftail
Good jobs you guys! It's not obsessive or neurotic to do every single thing you can to make the trip safe. Shipping is a very VERY risky thing. So many variables, even when things go smoothly. And so many ways things can go wrong.

And all I have to say that is printable on the subject of "a cereal box and a ziploc full of melted ice cubes", is, OMG. And, pm me who this was so I can Never Ever buy from them.

Old 09-02-2005, 06:48 PM   #18
Tere Salazar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglass38
Rant on brother, rant on...

I have not shipped anything yet and I am so nervous about my first one. I just want to get it out of the way already!
I gotta tell ya...you will be just as nervous about the 50th one as you are the first one. I haven't made 50 shipments yet, but they certainly don't get any easier. All you can do is act as if you're the one being shipped. Would you want to feel that heat or cold? Would you like to be squashed down to 2"? Would you want to fly up to the top of the box when the delivery truck hits a bump? That's how I try to think of things...not that my big butt would EVER fit into any box!

Old 09-02-2005, 07:15 PM   #19
leaftail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladragon
All you can do is act as if you're the one being shipped.
I do that too! It's why I use shredded paper and not styro peanuts to fill the box. That SCREERCHing noise it makes rubbing on the foam walls, imagine having to hear that right by your head non-stop for 24 hours. It would make me insane! With geckos anyway. They have ears. I guess for snakes that wouldn't matter.

Old 09-02-2005, 08:04 PM   #20
jglass38
Wow..Thanks people for not easing my neurosis! haha

I will just do the best I can and take every precaution when the time comes

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!