What would you do if you receive a snake through the USPS? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 07-22-2006, 01:35 PM   #11
Fangthane
Since you seem to think you KNOW that I'm condoning such activity..I'M NOT. I thought this was a place for open discussion and exchange of info. I'm simply saying my honest opinions and asking questions..yet again the little guy gets shit on for trying to participate.

Old 07-22-2006, 01:39 PM   #12
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
According to the law it seems to depend on what's being shipped. If you ship a garter snake and someone finds out they will probably tell you not to fo it again. If you ship a mamba and it escapes in the post office, you better call a very good lawyer.

Regards.

I have the same opinion on this, basically the law is there so that, if somone does ship a deadly animal, or something happens and say somone has a heart attack because they see a snake in a package, theyre protected and safe from being sued or getting their asses chewed out by the public/people sending it.

While its still against the law, i dont think youre going to get much more than a warning if you get caught once with say a small ball python or other such hatchling. youll probably just get a slap on the wrist and theyll just want to check your packages when you go to send them.

Id accept just because i wouldnt want the animal going back through the system after such a miserable trip in the first place. but id avoid the person in the future.

Old 07-22-2006, 01:48 PM   #13
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
I thought this was a place for open discussion and exchange of info.
I thought, that was what we are doing.

Old 07-22-2006, 01:57 PM   #14
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexPredatorBoids
Since you seem to think you KNOW that I'm condoning such activity..I'M NOT. I thought this was a place for open discussion and exchange of info. I'm simply saying my honest opinions and asking questions..yet again the little guy gets shit on for trying to participate.
I didn’t say you condoned anything. I said, that the “urban legend” statement wasn’t a fact, that some might take it, as it would be “ok” to ship by USPS without consequences.

All of us would hope the community takes a hard-line on the issue instead the nightly news.

Old 07-22-2006, 02:09 PM   #15
Fangthane
It wasn't presented as a statement of fact..as I said, it "SEEMS TO BE an urban legend". It was meant as an opinion and nothing more. The implication on your part certainly SEEMED to be there..yet again, my opinion. If I mis-took your words I apologize.

Old 07-22-2006, 02:13 PM   #16
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
Let’s assume you didn’t know the snake was going to be shipped USPS and the package shows at your door. You have to ponder if you reject the package and send the animal to a sure death or save him by accepting it and thus risk being liable.
Is there perhaps a third alternative? Could one refuse the package yet contact the local supervisor of the post office, explain the problem, and ask that he/she intercede on behalf of the life of the animal?

Surely (I hope) there must be procedures in place to deal with all sorts of other non lawful material that people can attempt to ship; perhaps there would be a way to both save the snake and not accept possible liability.

If that would work, not only does it offer some possibility of protection of liability, negating the possible presumption by the post office of collusion with the shipper on acceptance; but the fact that the post office then has to deal with the problem assures that the illegal shipper would be dealt with also.

Old 07-22-2006, 02:15 PM   #17
Dennis Hultman
I apologize too, if you thought I was attacking you personally.

Old 07-22-2006, 02:32 PM   #18
The BoidSmith
Quote:
Is there perhaps a third alternative? Could one refuse the package yet contact the local supervisor of the post office, explain the problem, and ask that he/she intercede on behalf of the life of the animal?
I'm not sure if this has changed after 9/11. The best thing they can possibly do is probably speed up the return of the package to the sender. One way or the other you are talking of an additional 24 h at least that may mean the difference between life an death for the animal. I'm not sure about the legal implications for USPS if they call animal control and the package is opened. Mail is supposed to remain private.

Regards

Old 07-22-2006, 02:47 PM   #19
The Reptile House
I now am certified to ship with FedEx but way before they even offered this to anyone I shipped a ball python through UPS, they caught it and called me back and said to come and get it and please do not do this again, they said it was one of the best ones to come through LOL and everyone just loved it! Go figure hugh.
I do not condone shipping through USPS and will not purchase from anyone doing so. Shanell.

Old 07-22-2006, 03:31 PM   #20
The BoidSmith
If you care to vote in the poll below it would certainly be appreciated. The results will help answer a question that has popped up in the BOI. Thanks!

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ewthread&f=462

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!