SNAKE TEMPERMENT QUESTION... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:58 AM   #11
DreamDrownedAtHotmail
heh, children's python? any idea why it's called that? is it Really friendly or something, to the point that children are mostly safe with them? or is it just a really small python and the "children's" part just refers to size or something like that? seems like an oxy-moron.. atleast to the inexperienced reader, i mean. also, i've heard a few people talk about rosy boas.. and i've atleast heard of those before, so i assume they're readily available in the pet trade.. i'll have to look those up, too. are there any python/boas that don't get REALLY fat? i'd like to be able to lift my even when it's an adult.. i knew this girl who had to post on forums for people to come help her move her red tailed boa just so she could clean it's tank, since it got so big.. it was like 13-14 feet and WIDE. or do pretty much all boas/pythons get really fat?

Old 07-18-2008, 06:37 AM   #12
kmurphy
Tiny Pythons > Children's Python Care Sheet - Antaresia childreni

Quote:
Children's pythons come from the North of Australia. The name is not derived from any relationship to children, but in honor of John George Children, who was a curator of the zoological collection at the British Museum in the 19th Century.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:33 AM   #13
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamDrownedAtHotmail
are there any python/boas that don't get REALLY fat? i'd like to be able to lift my even when it's an adult............or do pretty much all boas/pythons get really fat?
There are plenty of boas and pythons that stay a very manageable size - more than I care to list, in fact. I'd suggest you do some research on your own, get an idea of what you are looking for besides something that will stay still while you hold it, then we can help you narrow down some options.
I'm sorry if you think this is abrupt, or unfriendly, but there are a lot of snakes out there. For us to sit here and throw out 25-30 kinds (or more) is just unrealistic. Go to the library & grab a couple of big books with lots of pictures...sit down, and flip through the pages (sometimes that is more productive than wandering aimlessly around the internet - especially when you don't know what you are looking for).

Old 07-18-2008, 12:13 PM   #14
DreamDrownedAtHotmail
noone told you to list them all... but you could have listed atleast one. it would save me DAYS of doing research... and anyway, me coming here and asking IS me doing research, in a way. i will do much more in DEPTH research once i know what ballbark to start in.. my question still stands.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:36 PM   #15
DreamDrownedAtHotmail
i NEVER would have guessed that "Children" was a guy's last name, that's awesome.. that'd make a great jepardy question, heh.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:19 PM   #16
hhmoore
Quote:
noone told you to list them all... but you could have listed atleast one. it would save me DAYS of doing research...
ummmm - I listed 4 or 5....where do you think you came up with Childrens python?
Quote:
and anyway, me coming here and asking IS me doing research, in a way. i will do much more in DEPTH research once i know what ballbark to start in.. my question still stands.
Its kind of sad that plastering a vague question all over online forums is considered research.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:30 PM   #17
hhmoore
My point is that snakes come in a variety of sizes, colors, temperaments, AND prices. Different snakes also have different needs. You aren't giving us anything to go on except something that will sit still for a while. I understand that you don't know what kind of snake you want...but WE can't decide what you want for you.
I'm not upset or intolerant, though I know I come across that way at times, lol...I guess your approach is just foreign to me, so it seems assbackwards. Hope you find the snake you want

Old 07-18-2008, 05:33 PM   #18
DreamDrownedAtHotmail
oh my god, i'm so sorry, i didn't realize that was you that said THAT part as well.. from the way your post sounded, it gave me no hints that you had posted previously, so i thought that was your only post, and didn't think to scroll back to look for another from you.. there are soo many names to get used to here, i don't always recognize a name that i've briefly seen before on another page. jeez, i'm so sorry about that. also, to me, research is any effort one puts forth in order to gain information.. and where else is better to get information than from a bunch of experts on a forum, who are live and available to answer any abnormal or uncommon questions i may have i've spent a quite bit of time online doing non-social research, and had alot of trouble finding info about each species' tendancy to trust/remain calm for a minute or 2 before returning to exploring. i don't have that many snake questions, and i'm certainly not able to help others on this forum very well, due to my lack of expertise, nor do i have many snakes i can brag about or anything.. i just thought this would be a good chance for me to make a conversation, start to get to know people, and become a little more active on this forum. again, sorry again about the "you could have atleast named one" comment.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:38 PM   #19
DreamDrownedAtHotmail
oh about the snake i want, you're right, i'm not sure exactly what i want, but i know i atleast want it to be able to sit still everyone once in a while, even if just for a minute or 2 before it moves again. i didn't think there were so many under that catagory, so i thought just listing that preference alone would narrow it down quite a bit.. but since you say there are so many, i'll think of some more snake characteristics i'd like to have in a snake, and i'll list those as well i wasn't sure if i could list a bunch of questions and specifics that you guys could help me with, or if i could only ask 1 question at a time.. i'll have to browse the forums to see how the ask and what type of questions other people are asking..

Old 07-18-2008, 06:33 PM   #20
hhmoore
Ryan, don't worry about the type of questions other people are asking, lol. You can ask as many, or as few, in a post/thread as you want. It's just that you giving more of the characteristics you are looking for will help us narrow things down. A temple viper is great for sitting still for long periods of time (not that I wouldn't recommend holding one, but some people do it), and you didn't specify nonvenomous. An idea of your budget would help, too. ie If you want to keep it under $200, we can just skip over anything obviously out of that price range. If you want it to stay under a certain length, or weight, say that up front. The more you narrow things down, the more likely you are to get helpful suggestions.
Or, you could just get a ball python

You should also keep in mind that all you are doing is getting a bunch of subjective opinions, especially since you posted in so many different forums here (and who knows how many elsewhere). What we like, or have luck with, may not interest you in the least...or you may not be able to meet its needs, or want to deal with certain aspects of its care.
Just because I think African rock pythons are great, and have good luck working with them & "gaining their trust", doesn't mean you will have the same experience. Even if you were to buy a snake that is an absolute dream to handle, there is no guarantee it will behave the same way in your possession (ask SouthDixieBassetts, lol, she bought a nice calm snake from me...and turned it into some kind of demon, practically overnight)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!