Feeding Candioa mini-boas - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-31-2011, 08:14 PM   #11
Helenthereef
Wow. How old?

Old 07-31-2011, 11:44 PM   #12
Abby
Wow, they are beautiful! So glad to see them eating! Are you going to switch them to rodents, or keep them on a lizard diet?

Old 08-01-2011, 12:58 AM   #13
jimoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
Wow. How old?
I got them as adults, and that was 2 years ago for the newest of them.

Good luck switching them over... I have one male I still can't get to take mammals. One that will only take live mammals.

The three females will all take f/t.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #14
Helenthereef
I don't have ready access to mammals - but I have managed to get all mine on to birds. When big enough they take day old or week old chicks with as much enthusiasm as they do geckos. Also managed to get them to take chicken hearts and eventually small wing portions...

Old 08-01-2011, 06:42 PM   #15
crotalusadamanteus
I was about to say, being arboreal, and a Boa, I can see them taking birds without too much fuss. I've never met a Boa that refused a bird.

Might be worth the effort to make a chicken coop (or whatever land bird, if any, exists on those islands) and raise your own.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:52 PM   #16
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
Might be worth the effort to make a chicken coop (or whatever land bird, if any, exists on those islands) and raise your own.
Actually got there just before you... but only raising them for a week to put a bit of muscle onto them before they get the chop and go into the freezer...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CHX.jpg (189.3 KB, 23 views)

Old 08-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #17
Helenthereef
Friends of mine trap Mynah birds (local invasive species) and use those, but I'm afraid of internal parasites, not to mention fleas and mites....

Old 08-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #18
crotalusadamanteus
Mynah are Corbin, which = smart. But I understand your concern.

Them chicks look like they'll do though. Wouldn't you want a couple to grow for the eggs? Mmmm eggs.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:30 PM   #19
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
Mynah are Corbin, which = smart. But I understand your concern.

Them chicks look like they'll do though. Wouldn't you want a couple to grow for the eggs? Mmmm eggs.
Well, these are all roosters (therefore half the price of laying hen chicks), so the wait for eggs would be a long one... also at present these are in my bathroom, as we have another invasive species, the mongoose, which I think would do for an outdoor chicken coop in short order unless I fortified it like Fort Knox...

The Mynahs ARE smart- they've taken over the entire urban areas in Fiji, pushing out our native birds. Great mimics though - they do hawks really well, and use that cry as a warning to other birds in the area when there's a Swamp Harrier about. Quite remarkable to watch. Pity they crap all over the outdoor furniture....

Old 08-01-2011, 08:30 PM   #20
jimoo
Even newly hatched quails are almost too big for these (my species). Anyway, it is a non starter, not in a situation where I could ever raise birds. The snakes are pushing it and that makes it hard enough to find an apartment.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!