Whites in the sun. - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:47 PM   #11
Ed Clark
Hi Lynn, my Australians are blue almost all the time. a temp drop can darken them up some but they are blue.

Smaller guys are kept on paper towels, adults are on coco fiber. all are outside in the summer sun when temps permit on the soil thats in my yard.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:49 PM   #12
nyltiv
Blue White's treefrogs

Hi Ed, thanks for your reply.
I've had White's TF since 1986...my first 2 were Blue...then,after 1 year, the female died (I didnt know about FROG-vets then) I got 2 sub-adults in 1987, tho they were not blue (but wanted companions for my lonely Blue)
That Blue died last year, at the age of 21. So, now I have one 22 year old left.
Having seen the BLUES, I had my heart set on starting a new group with BLUES.
I couldn't find any last year (I had the habitat all ready for them!)
I have just ordered 4 blues from Sandfiredragon Ranch. He assured me they are BLUE...I'm expecting them Wed. am! I'm very excited!! just hope I'm not disappointed (not having actually SEEN them) But I'm sure I will love them anyway.
Thanks for the info on substrate. I have kept my White's on paper towels all these years. (That's how I knew my White's had bloody urine, and took him to vet for treatment!!) I intended to put sphagnum moss (on top of paper towels)in the new habitat...but will use paper towels while they are still small...so I can see them, and they can find crickets.
I have always fed my frogs (White's and Fire-bellied toads...not in same habitat) individually, in plastic containers, so I know who's eating what...with the new group, I will alternate putting crickets in habitat (so they have something to do) and individual feeding.
I'm using an infrared lamp above, for heat. (my old Whit'es has a heating pad under) Can you advise me on where to place the thermometer in relation to the heat lamp? Should I be measuring the WARMEST part of the tank (nearest the lamp) so my frogs won't fry? What temp. do I allow nearest the lamp? (the bulb is recessed, so not sitting on the top screen. I have a rheostat to adjust light)
I'm new to the computer, and new to the Forum...is this the proper way for me to communicate with you?
Thanks again for your response.
Lynn

Old 04-14-2009, 09:44 PM   #13
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyltiv View Post
I'm using an infrared lamp above, for heat. (my old Whit'es has a heating pad under) Can you advise me on where to place the thermometer in relation to the heat lamp? Should I be measuring the WARMEST part of the tank (nearest the lamp) so my frogs won't fry? What temp. do I allow nearest the lamp? (the bulb is recessed, so not sitting on the top screen. I have a rheostat to adjust light)

Lynn
I like heat pads taped on the back if at all possible. strong bulbs will dry out the tank and also the frog.
but sometimes in the cold of winter they are useful to maintain temps. I like digi thermometers with the probe slipped into the screen top placed about half way down. the frogs will thermoregulate up or down according to the temps.

Warm temps in the 84-88*F range will work, measured up around the 3/4 up on the tank mark.

Mike at Sandfire will take good care of you.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:24 AM   #14
nyltiv
Thanks for the info, Ed.
Wow, you are all over this forum...all sorts of frogs! are you a breeder?
Are you in Gr. Britain Jersey? Am I bothering you with my curiosity?
Glad to read your positive comment on Mike at Sandfiredragon ranch...he WAS very nice on the phone.
I'm expecting my babies TODAY!!!
regards
Lynn

Old 05-29-2009, 02:16 AM   #15
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyltiv View Post
Thanks for the info, Ed.
Wow, you are all over this forum...all sorts of frogs! are you a breeder?
Are you in Gr. Britain Jersey? Am I bothering you with my curiosity?

regards
Lynn
Hi Lynn, I have had some breeding success.

Great Britain like in the UK?

No... Jersey like near Atlantic City, New Jersey.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:35 PM   #16
nyltiv
Wink Hi Ed

Oh...that Jersey!! (I grew up on Long Island)
I dont want to burden you with communication...but, having recently gotten my first computer, this is the first time Ive had contact with "frog people", so it's nice to have people who can relate to my interest. (actually, my PASSION is animals...so I tend to have multi-species...2 dogs,1 box turtle, 9 frogs, no rodents at this time)
Do you have a lot of critters? What have you bred? (the breeding process for White's doesnt thrill me, I doubt if I would try...I like having my critters easily observed, not in a closet somewhere)
My new White's babies are doing well. Theyre about 6-7 mos. old...no one's croaking yet...I do think I might have a female. (my last group of 3 were all males. I have 1 left, he's 22 yrs.)
I dont want to take too much of your time...
thanks for your communication
Lynn

Old 06-10-2009, 12:52 AM   #17
dondeb562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee P View Post
Very nice Ed,Here's some pic of mine,we have 3 albino were trying to hatch out to

great pix all! I love dumpys. I used to keep them a while back. I cant wait to see pix of those albinos when they turn!!

Old 06-24-2009, 11:47 PM   #18
agama
those frogs are beautiful

Old 04-21-2010, 07:27 PM   #19
Dee P
Well the albino never made it,It got three legs,when the fourth came out,i made a big whole were the leg was,and died the next day,heres a pic of how big it got, i think it was not a true albino,because of its black eyes,maybe some color phase

Old 07-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #20
danthebugman
Those are gorgeous White's! I'm gonig to have to stop reading posts like these, they just make me want more critters lol.

Dan

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!