cryptolock virus - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #11
JColt
Just received another cryptolocked pc. People said data not important so doing a wipe and clean install. Received another call on one and told them no fix and would need to wipe and re install or put in a new drive and hold the other one until a fix happens. Told me to F myself and hung up, lol.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #12
JColt
Hey all, I started putting this on work pc's

http://networkedblogs.com/R4zL2

Old 11-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #14
deedeeiam
Quote:
Originally Posted by JColt View Post
Most should already have this ability through their IDS or Firewall systems. There shouldn't be a reason to add an additional exploitable program.

Fortunately, CryptoLocker doesn't encrypt data through UNC shares, so stupid users can't kill your network stores. And hopeful they'd only have write access anyway if it wasn't UNC.

I will say that any company still running Windows XP deserves to have all their local files encrypted though. Talk about lack of an IA program.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #15
JColt
Mainly for home user. I can tell you many businesses and law enforcement agencies still run xp because of slower hardware. I have made many repairs of other ransomware damage on properly locked down firewall systems.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #16
deedeeiam
Quote:
Originally Posted by JColt View Post
Mainly for home user. I can tell you many businesses and law enforcement agencies still run xp because of slower hardware. I have made many repairs of other ransomware damage on properly locked down firewall systems.
Arrrg. Government legacy systems give me heart burn....especially during information audits. It always amazes me when I switch between the DHS and CERT portals to say the county LEOs. It's no wonder the criminals are winning. lol.

On the XP front, we are starting to finally see a turnover. I think about 30%-40 of windows environments are still running XP. Except in Egypt of all places, where the numbers are completely backwards. At least those were the numbers at the beginning of the year.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #17
JColt
Well by Sept of next year I have to have all the Police rugged laptops to at least win7 64bit. I told them 2 years ago about this and the current laptops will not do 64bit. So guess who the a-hole was when I put in the p.o last month? yep me! lol. In the dept I have maybe 6 xp machines that will hopefully be out by end of next year. Except for my Heating/AC which is running win98, lol. That program will run from floppy though so I will wait for that one to die before replacing.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #18
deedeeiam
We have +25k devices, so it takes a good bit of time for machines to be replaced. Now, this Cryptolocker has opened up the old folks into some different training methods. We've been looking at running an enterprise-wide fake phishing campaign to get an end-user baseline for awareness training. It's just so damn pricey, and anything over 5k requires RFPs and bids.

One of the really fun things I want to try is a mobile media test. Where you randomly drop thumb drives and CDs around workplaces and see who's dumb enough to just stick it in the machine.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #19
JColt
As a joke about 5 years ago I left some thumbdrives with a fake virus. As soon as you clicked it a screen would pop up and say are you sure you want to format? When you clicked no it would say Formatting then you would see files being deleted then black screen with c:\ About 10 seconds later a screen would pop up saying gotcha! I had 3 people do it, lol.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!