This is what I love about corns - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-09-2007, 06:19 PM   #11
cahrens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hultman
Chris, are you asking about snows? Amels are albinos too.
Not snows specifically. I've seen corns labeled albino and some labeled amel and I can't tell the difference. Are you saying there isn't 1? They're the same thing? Please forgive my ignorance on all this, I've always been more of a boa and ball guy. This is just too exciting though, not knowing what you're going to get is quite interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic
"Albino" in its simplest form means a pigment is absent. So, that means that Amels are "Red Albino" because they are missing black and Aneries are "Black Albino" because they are missing red. However, normally the technical term (Amelanistic or Anerythristic) is used rather then red or black albino usage.

So then the answer would be yes. When someone speaks of an albino corn they're probably meaning amel. You know what's kinda funny, we picked out a handfull of corn babies a few years ago as "starter" snakes for my son. I figured that he could start with them and then work his way up through balls and eventually into boas. Now I find myself browsing the corn classifieds and forums because I'm getting hooked.
I'll get a couple pics of the ones you're referring to and post them later tonight. Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate it. -Chris

Old 07-09-2007, 06:46 PM   #12
Ed Clark
Thumbs up

Chris, Albinos, Amels and Amelanistic are all the same.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:46 PM   #13
cahrens
Thanks Ed,
Now I can quit wondering what an albino amel will look like. Lol. Here's a pic of 3 that I picked out that look motley. So the parents were het for motley and amelanistic. Incredible, it wasn't even mentioned when we bought them. We ended up with 3 amels, 2 motleys not including the 1 amel motley, and 10 possible double hets. There was also another amel that didn't make it out of the egg. Didn't even pip but was fully formed. Poor bugger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Motleys.jpg (63.9 KB, 52 views)

Old 07-09-2007, 08:51 PM   #14
cahrens
By the way, we decided that since it was their 1st year of breeding that we wouldn't try to double clutch any of them this year. Apparently, the mother of this clutch didn't listen. She laid a batch of eggs last week. Only 12 total and 5 of them are duds but the other 7 look good so we begin again.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:07 PM   #15
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Now that pic~ those two normals at the top......do they really not have any color between the saddles or is there blushing there that is being washed out by the flash? I ask because those two look like they may be anery to me~ in that pic anyway......but I'd need to a better look at that area between the saddles.

You can be sure you three motleys are in fact motley if they have clear belly's (no checks) compare their bellies to the normal bellies and you'll see what I mean.

Congrats!
Very pretty babies~ nice clean lines on them too!

Old 07-09-2007, 10:33 PM   #16
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
You can be sure you three motleys are in fact motley if they have clear belly's (no checks) compare their bellies to the normal bellies and you'll see what I mean.
The above is very important when thinking hatchlings are Motley. If they have checkers, they are not Motley.

Clear Motley belly:

Old 07-09-2007, 10:48 PM   #17
cahrens
Belly pics

Alright, here we go with some belly pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Belly.jpg (27.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Belly 2.jpg (46.4 KB, 43 views)

Old 07-09-2007, 10:49 PM   #18
cahrens
Geez, my camera sucks! You get the idea though.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:04 PM   #19
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
motley. I'm sure. Thats what a clear belly looks like. when you compare that to the normals in your clutch you see the difference right?

Old 07-10-2007, 12:59 AM   #20
Otter_23
Yep definately motley. Very cool hatching corns, you generally never know what you are going to get.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!