Baytril Question - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:52 AM   #11
armchairangel
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus
Actually...you're right for the most part. BUT, I've been given 22.7mg/ml for a dwarf Boa weighing no more than 56 grams too, and he turned out great! Of course, like 0.2cc dosages though.
I also remembered after I posted that not only does the dosage depend on the weight of the animal, but the condition that is being treated. We also treated a lot of chelonians with baytril and another commonly used injectable with reptiles is ivermectin, for parasites. I very well could be confusing the concentrations of the two different meds and what is common for turtles. *L*

Old 07-31-2007, 02:19 AM   #12
hhmoore
It's been a while, but if memory serves - baytril is highly toxic to chelonians...to the point that it was almost a "do not use" drug for that application. That might explain the dilution you had mentioned earlier.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:43 PM   #13
FireStorm
Thanks for the input everybody! Sorry I didn't check back sooner. My computer had a meltdown and I had to wait for the replacement. I appreciate the info. It's good to know that the more serious reactions aren't all that common. I have only used Baytril in mammals before, so I wasn't sure.

I've always been very involved in my horses' veterinary treatment, and I want to be informed about my reptiles, too. I just figured I would do my homework before I actually need the info .

Thanks again,
Shelly

Old 08-08-2007, 10:45 PM   #14
FireStorm
One more thing - does the more serious reaction resolve on its own, or does it need treatment?
Thanks,
Shelly

Old 08-08-2007, 11:47 PM   #15
hhmoore
If, by "more serious reaction" you are referring to tissue damage & necrosis, it doesn't resolve or get treated. If there is noticeable damage, the result may be permanent discoloration (I have been able to point out injection sites several years later, in some cases...but mild discoloration sometimes does resolve), or scarring. If the discoloration begins to turn black - expect it to open, scab, and scar. All you can really do is offer supportive care - keeping the wound clean and preventing infection.

If you were referring to the renal toxicity - I suspect that the toxicity can be resolved with hydration and time; but my guess is that if it actually damages the organ, the functional impairment would be permanent (once the damage is done....)

Old 08-09-2007, 07:03 AM   #16
crotalusadamanteus
My search abilities suck, or I'd link you to an example that I saw posted on a forum. I thought it was here, but I'm drawing a blank.

Anyway, it shows what an injection site reaction can look like. Basically a discolored spot where it occurred. I suspect the key is to get it into the muscle. If you miss, it runs under the skin, and this may be where the necrosis happens. (a wild guess)

I never had to deal with necrosis from an actual injection, but My big girl Aurora got plenty of it when a Vet put Baytril into an abscess that was being treated. It ran under the skin and actually caused several spots of necrosis under her skin, over an area of about 10 inches in length. In this extreme example, all the necrotic tissue had to be surgically removed, to get it under control.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:25 PM   #17
armchairangel
Yup, I read about Aurora... amazing story! Good for you that you stuck with all her treatments and I'm glad that she's coming through it!

If toxicity is an issue, yes, the way to help would be through giving fluids. This would most likely be done by giving it SQ or IV (in a snake, IV can be tough, so SQ would probably be more common). And yes, the key to prevent skin issues is to get it into the muscle as previously stated.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:47 PM   #18
FireStorm
Thanks again for the info, everybody. You've all been really helpful, and this thread has really cleared up my questions. It seems like a lot of this is pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking.

Thanks again,
Shelly

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!