Big Cat Sightings in Australia... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 04-12-2006, 04:49 AM   #11
snake5007
i read on an internet site that cougars are the only big cats that we haven't seen a form of melanism in.apparently theres a lot of sightings of black(melanistic)cougars around the shawnee forest.i read this on a british web site called cfz.sorry, i dont know how to put links up yet,but cfz stands for ,i think,centre of fortean zoology.theres also a report on there of their expedition to sumatra in search of the orang pendek,cigaur,and monster snakes that ,it is said,have horns!

Old 03-06-2007, 12:03 AM   #12
jo robertson
panther sighting

Panthers are deffinetly and without a doubt roaming Queensland.
I was about an hour out of Murgon heading north when i saw one casually
walk in front of me across the road in broad daylight.It was buetiful and very real.Its coat was shiny black and reflecting the sun and as it ambered slowly across the road sniffing the breeze its tail slowly moved around at the tip like contented cats tail does.I braked the car in disbelief as i neared ,say ten metres away from it.I watched it walk into the grass at the side of the road.I
was questioning at this stage what i was looking at and was scared.I kept driving in disbelief.Actually to scared to pull over and investigate.It was very big.Twice the size of a standard rottweiler dog with a panther head.No doubt in my mind what i encountered.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:10 AM   #13
texasnewbie
I'm from the England originally and there are a lot of big cat sightings. I was brought up around farms and the farming community as my father worked on a farm and several times he saw footprints that were definitely not dog/fox etc.

About 4yrs ago while we were on holiday in Wales my brother and dad saw what they described as a black panther several feet away on a country lane that ran through the hedge, close enough to see it wasn't a normal cat or dog, and close enough to scare the living daylights outta them.

I am definitely a believer in the "big cat mystery" in England. After the Wild Animals act was introduced a lot of people chose to release their animals instead of getting licensed.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:58 PM   #14
kevk
about 2 weeks ago there was a black panther sighting with a pic taken in cape may,nj.there was another sighting last year around here by police and school teachers.they saw a panther walk by a grammar school.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:24 AM   #15
mhuth1
Question big cat trace

at the mimerran gun club i saw foot prints of a large animal that led into the bush

Old 08-22-2007, 02:18 PM   #16
Mooing Tricycle
I know this is about australia Sightings, but some of the bigger people here in MA who do environmental stuff have been swearing for YEARS that cougars do not live up here in MA anymore. BS. A friend of mine saw one jump across the road in front of him, and several other people have mentioned casually ( thinking they have always lived here) that they have seen them. Some standing in the middle of fields and others as the first, going across a road.
Another EPO friend was actually tracking someone else in the woods and when she came back she saw large footprints covering hers. she never heard a thing but knew instantly what those footprints were. pretty interesting stuff.

I wouldnt doubt though if you saw them, that its because people who kept them in captivity released them. i cant imagine if a population like that were to grow, what it would do to the environments in both places...

Old 12-02-2008, 11:00 AM   #17
dominatejake
big cats

Hi im new to this site i was just roaming the net about the big cat sightings in (victoria) australia and i came across these posts i saw there might be a little debate about the big cat sightings in australia i can tell you all that most of the big cat sightings are indeed correct there have been sightings with proof of pumas, panthers, cougers, i spose some of the puma sightings could have been confused with the panthers being there has been a definent confermanation that panthers are here by men who have shoot and killed two panthers in the grampian and east melbourne area in 1998 and 2002 but not much proof of the puma anyway
I'll tell you my story there are two infact the first i was out camping with my freind out in the middle of the bush about 15 mins from the grampians before we left to go out to camp we called in at halls gap to grab some supplys we had a little chat with the store owner he asked what we were up to today we told him we were heading out bush for the night and he told us a story about a couple of big cat sightings around the area and another about 3 school girls gone missing about 30-40 years ago in the grampians we thought he was just a joker trying to give us a little scare anyway we left and went out bush and set up camp later on we went to bed something woke me up i went out side of my tent to light the fire when i heard a ruffle in the bushs behind me i dident think much of it because we had seen a few wallabys around the campsite earlyer...I had the fire lite and went in the tent to get my mate for a cuppa we went out to the fire and put on the water i heard another ruffle in the bushes behind me again i walked over towards the bush and nothing was there i turned back around and went to go towards the fire when i saw this massive black cat about 5 meters behind my freind it shocked me i just stood and stared it looked straight at us my mate asked me what i was doing and i pointed behind him he looked behind him and jumped up with a yell and scream the black cat ran off. My description to the storeman the next day of the black cat was about 1.2 meters tall it had a very long tail about 3/4 the lenght of its body and orange eyes with two large teeth he said to us if you are able to describe it that well your bloody lucky. he said the lengh and hight where very similar to the other people who have told him about this large cat he says its a black panther. Anyway the other story was me and my dad went back out 3 days later with our 22 rifles hunting and seen another of a differnt size i cut that one short because i go into detail to much as you can see with the first story.lol

P.S we dident shoot it because firstly i dont think a 22 rifle would take one down and secondly we were to stuned by the sighting in the first place.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!