Blood Python Question - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-26-2011, 08:59 PM   #11
Muril
beautiful Snake!
BMK is right, to much room makes them insecure. you can place a divider in the tank if you want to keep her in it to make it smaller.
just something for you to think about, in the winter in a glass aquarium, it is going to be difficult to maintain your humidity levels. you will need to find a way to cover the top to keep heat and humidity in.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:10 PM   #12
BMK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaLupus View Post
Are there any specific signs that the snake is unhappy with their enclosure? My little girl regularly moves around her tank spending part of the day in each hide as well as checking out the water dish and every other nook and cranny.
Thanks
yes there is, not eating is a pretty significant sign something is 'off'.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:23 PM   #13
LunaLupus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muril View Post
beautiful Snake!
BMK is right, to much room makes them insecure. you can place a divider in the tank if you want to keep her in it to make it smaller.
just something for you to think about, in the winter in a glass aquarium, it is going to be difficult to maintain your humidity levels. you will need to find a way to cover the top to keep heat and humidity in.
Thanks!

I will definitely keep that under consideration. I think at this point I'm going to leave her alone for a while before I change anything else or try to get her to eat again.

I currently have a half screen top on her tank and it is easy enough to keep the humidity as high as 85 with her water bowl and regular spritzing. I'm home all day so I can check hourly if need be.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #14
curtusforum.org
Congrats on your new girl! She's gonna be a looker!

Old 10-15-2011, 01:47 PM   #15
LunaLupus
Update

So we've moved our snake to a smaller enclosure. And we're keeping her at ~82 degrees. We spoke with the breeders at Tinley last weekend, and just put a rat pup in with her. Keeping my fingers crossed that she eats. It's been almost six weeks since she last ate. :/

Old 10-15-2011, 02:59 PM   #16
LunaLupus
She's eating!!! Thanks for all the tips folks.

Old 10-15-2011, 03:26 PM   #17
LunaLupus
False alarm

She was not coiled to eat it....she was coiled to sit on it.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #18
BMK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaLupus View Post
She was not coiled to eat it....she was coiled to sit on it.
Ok try this.....get her all set up, and then leave her alone for a couple days, I mean don't even open her tub or even look at her. after two days of her being alone offer her a rat pup(eyes barley open) at night (just open tub and put in) and leave the room till morning.
The reason I say rat pup is it can't hurt the snake where a mouse could kill your snake.

What may have happen is you spooked her when she was going to eat, then she changed her focus rather than eatin she was worried about you....this may work.

I also have a pic of my babies and their set up. Its not that spiffy but they are eating and it's very simple to maintain. Once your snake if feeding regularly then you can modify it set up-but I wouldn't ...good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4177.jpg (147.9 KB, 35 views)

Old 10-16-2011, 12:39 PM   #19
LunaLupus
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMK. View Post
Ok try this.....get her all set up, and then leave her alone for a couple days, I mean don't even open her tub or even look at her. after two days of her being alone offer her a rat pup(eyes barley open) at night (just open tub and put in) and leave the room till morning.
The reason I say rat pup is it can't hurt the snake where a mouse could kill your snake.

What may have happen is you spooked her when she was going to eat, then she changed her focus rather than eatin she was worried about you....this may work.

I also have a pic of my babies and their set up. Its not that spiffy but they are eating and it's very simple to maintain. Once your snake if feeding regularly then you can modify it set up-but I wouldn't ...good luck
Yeah I'm thinking the same thing. My walking into the room startled her. So today we are trying the paper bag trick. And yes, it's a rat pup....~24hrs old so I have no worries about her being injured.

Her current set up is near identical to what you've shown. It's just placed inside a larger tank to keep her safe from my klutziness. She's now in my bedroom, so no one goes in there all day. I'm hoping something kicks in and she starts to eat.

One lesson learned from all of this......each snake definitely has it's own quirks and personality. Second lesson learned.....husbands are like kids when it comes to animals. lol

Thanks again!

Old 10-16-2011, 01:25 PM   #20
curtusforum.org
I'm sure once she settles in and gets fully used to her enviornment she will be just fine, and she will take a meal as well. Some of them take more time than others....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!