What is your profession? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:35 PM   #11
hhmoore
Nursing school is very little like hospital nursing - hitting "the real world" is a shock to many new grads, because they get hit with a much larger patient load than they are used to; and they need to develop time management skills on the fly (a lot of people are very weak in that area). On the plus side, there are many specialties that might be of interest...as well as more out of hospital and/or non-clinical possibilities than any other branch of healthcare. Traveling is a great option, once you get a bit of experience; especially if you would like to relocate, but aren't quite set on where (even if you are, it can afford a great opportunity to familiarize yourself with the area and the hospital before you commit to the big jump).

Old 12-12-2011, 04:04 PM   #12
RobNJ
I am a cook by trade and have worked in a variety of capacities of the food industry. I'm 31 and have been earning my pay checks from kitchens since I was 14, cooking since I was 19 and dropped out of college due to my own inability to control myself. I've worked in restaurants, retirement homes, hotels, country clubs, and even a Christian missionary camp. I've worked in settings as low as roadside shacks all the way up to fine dining, and I've worked in capacities from managing my own station in the kitchen to managing an entire kitchen. The change in the industry has been like night and day from when I first started, but it's been a fun ride. The pay scale ranges from poor to just OK. In my experience, private country clubs are where the money is to be made, and as far as cooking for a living goes, are a rather tame environment. Summers are 3 months of hell, but the rest of the year is a breeze. Plus, we get 2-3 months off in the winter, and have health coverage, 401k, vacation and sick pay. I've worked in restaurants where 10+ hours a day, 6 days a week was the norm, with no benefits at all...if you took a sick day, you seriously risked losing your job or being replaced by one of the lower guys who adequately filled in at your station. I've gotten more serious about it the past few years and am advancing...and although I have no regrets, a change of career is always on my mind- though I'd have no idea what, since other than a few odd jobs and one summer of landscaping, the only checks I've ever earned have been in kitchens.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:58 PM   #13
edf01
I have a bach degree in fine art.... I work as a 3rd shift shift runner/ CSA at wawa. Basically, cashier/foodservice at a gas station. way to put my degree at use...lol. i was a screen printer til got laid off during the drop in the economy- it hit us later on, not as soon as it dropped.

I am, however, much happier, and more job security at wawa, and chance to move up later on.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:59 PM   #14
keithy
Your welcome. Let me know if you have any questions. I am always happy to help!

Old 12-13-2011, 02:09 PM   #15
LTZoologist
U.S. Army Field Artillery Officer, soon to be Medical Service Corps Entomologist. I'm definitely glad I joined, the benefits are great and you are kept up to date with current training. There are nurses in the Army BTW.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:57 PM   #16
Bruce Lowder
The legal liability issue can be managed by taking out an independent nurses liability insurance policy. There are ads for these companies in many of the nursing journals.

My wife (BSN at the time) worked 17 years in labor and delivery, and it only cost us a few hundred dollars a year. She eventually got her masters online, and is now working as a women's health NP. In her current position, they even pay for her independent policy! She loves the work, and is making very good money.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #17
AbsoluteApril
isn't there some statistic that the average person changes their career 4-6 times in their life?

I should be getting near to my final job then. Maybe that one will be one I enjoy... right now I work to live and have since high school. Wheee what fun.

I currently spend my days supervising a customer service department. Previously spent 7 years making digital maps for in-vehicle navigation systems and 5 years selling property and casualty insurance. Fascinating! My fun jobs as a teen were at Taco Bell and assistant manager at Hot Topic.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!