Something new sparking my interest lately.... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:46 PM   #11
Snake-Queen
No, definitely would not be a good day.

Do they make gas powered copters, like the planes? That may be a viable option. May be loud, but more reliable?

Old 12-22-2014, 02:08 AM   #12
WebSlave
Never heard of any gas powered multi-rotor copters, but that doesn't mean that they don't exist. I would imagine it would be quite a complicated beast and probably quite heavy. A gas tank filled with fuel would likely be pretty heavy and bulky, not to mention the plumbing needed to provide fuel to the motors. Not to mention the likely fire hazard during a crash.

And I'm not sure a small gas powered motor would be any more reliable than an electric one.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:14 AM   #13
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Not to mention the likely fire hazard during a crash.

And I'm not sure a small gas powered motor would be any more reliable than an electric one.
A potentially unreliable gasoline engine sounds like it may have the potential to start a house or forest fire? And even an electric one gone wild has the potential to crash and damage.
I'm thinking that with the expense and liability, sooner or later these copters may move out of the toy category and be insured and licensed.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:44 AM   #14
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
A potentially unreliable gasoline engine sounds like it may have the potential to start a house or forest fire? And even an electric one gone wild has the potential to crash and damage.
I'm thinking that with the expense and liability, sooner or later these copters may move out of the toy category and be insured and licensed.
Yes, some of them can be quite large, comparatively, but some of them, like the last one I bought, not so much....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Proto-X VPF.jpg (31.3 KB, 25 views)

Old 12-22-2014, 09:46 PM   #15
Snake-Queen
That is almost cute, it's so small.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:28 AM   #16
WebSlave
Yeah, but it can get out of sight REAL QUICK.

I got a REALLY small quadcopter free with a software flight emulator I bought, but it doesn't have any video capability on it.

This thing would get lost in a heartbeat, but it seems to me that the LEDs are much brighter on it than the larger devices. Maybe that helps to keep it in sight when you run it up into the air a bit.

I bought another inexpensive quadcopter that arrived today that should have the same video quality that is much bigger so I can fly it higher and not lose sight of the darn thing. Mostly made of styrofoam, so I don't think it will survive very many crashes.

Companies are coming out with new models pretty quickly now, so I expect that capabilities will increase with prices decreasing as competition heats up. I'm hoping that by the time I'm ready to tackle a much more expensive model that the capabilities will be exactly what I am looking for. Right now, they just aren't there yet, and honestly, I'm in no hurry.

Now if it would just stop raining so I could practice with these things. I do use the software flight emulator, but it's just not quite the same. It helps, certainly, but still, nothing like the real thing.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!