Eye Infections in Leopard gecko - A Sad Story - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-22-2006, 12:36 PM   #11
Golden Gate Geckos
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAGECKOS
Wouldn't that have worked if it was a bacterial infection?
Jeanne, different bacteria are sensitive to different antibiotics. If the infection originated in the eye, then the opthalmic medicine is the normal protocol. If the infection is systemic, then a broad-spectrum antibiotic is the usual treatment. You may want to have the gecko's eye swabbed and sent to a lab for a culture growth and a sensitivity test to identify the strain of bacteria.

Old 03-22-2006, 12:54 PM   #12
USAGECKOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Gate Geckos
Jeanne, different bacteria are sensitive to different antibiotics. If the infection originated in the eye, then the opthalmic medicine is the normal protocol. If the infection is systemic, then a broad-spectrum antibiotic is the usual treatment. You may want to have the gecko's eye swabbed and sent to a lab for a culture growth and a sensitivity test to identify the strain of bacteria.
Calling my vet right now

Old 03-22-2006, 12:56 PM   #13
USAGECKOS
The Exotics person is out. They are going to call them and call me back later

Old 03-22-2006, 01:00 PM   #14
Albey
Hi Jeanne,
I am so very sorry to hear about what is happening to your Snow’s. I know how much you enjoy them. It is really a drag that the Veterinarian you went to didn’t give you the proper medication from the start. I know you didn’t get your Snow’s from me but I have never had any problem with the eyes on my Snow’s either. Is the Snow Carrot-tail cross Male you received from me doing OK?

Once again I am sorry and I hope the medication will at least clear up the problem on the other two. Good luck,

Old 03-22-2006, 01:08 PM   #15
BalloonzForU
I understand what you are going through. I have three females myself that are having eye problems, two are related, mom and daughter and a third that has always had bad sheds since her first. Mom just had two bad sheds in a row, and she's never had that problem, and the daughter we have no idea what is cause hers. The one with the bad sheds all the time is one that tears me apart the most, cause she may have this problem the rest of her life, if we can't get her to shed correctly at all. I've been debating about putting her down so she doesn't have to keep suffering like this. But ever time I get to that point she's doing good keeping her eyes open and eating then within a few days she sheds again and we are back to square one.

The weird thing is that mine are all females as well as yours.

Old 03-22-2006, 01:14 PM   #16
USAGECKOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albey
Hi Jeanne,
I am so very sorry to hear about what is happening to your Snow’s. I know how much you enjoy them. It is really a drag that the Veterinarian you went to didn’t give you the proper medication from the start. I know you didn’t get your Snow’s from me but I have never had any problem with the eyes on my Snow’s either. Is the Snow Carrot-tail cross Male you received from me doing OK?

Once again I am sorry and I hope the medication will at least clear up the problem on the other two. Good luck,

Thank you Albey.

The male I got from you is doing great, unfortunately with no females to breed him to, he is up for sale. Even if my female snows get totally healed, I will not breed them, just in case it is a genetic problem.

Old 03-22-2006, 01:18 PM   #17
USAGECKOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalloonzForU
I understand what you are going through. I have three females myself that are having eye problems, two are related, mom and daughter and a third that has always had bad sheds since her first. Mom just had two bad sheds in a row, and she's never had that problem, and the daughter we have no idea what is cause hers. The one with the bad sheds all the time is one that tears me apart the most, cause she may have this problem the rest of her life, if we can't get her to shed correctly at all. I've been debating about putting her down so she doesn't have to keep suffering like this. But ever time I get to that point she's doing good keeping her eyes open and eating then within a few days she sheds again and we are back to square one.

The weird thing is that mine are all females as well as yours.
Felicia,

I am so sorry to hear this, I hope things turn around and they get better.

The geckos with the eye problems, what are their symptoms? And, what morph are they?

Old 03-22-2006, 01:27 PM   #18
Sarah H
It is so strange. I hope everything works out for the better. Keep us updated.

Old 03-22-2006, 01:41 PM   #19
BalloonzForU
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAGECKOS
The geckos with the eye problems, what are their symptoms? And, what morph are they?
Mom and Daughter are Trempers, and the bad shed girl is a SHT....no snows.

Mom's problem we believe is that I changed her moist hide substrate. She has been put back on moss, and she is getting drops, Falcon (gentamicin sulfate). She's had been not wanting to open her eyes but is getting much better. She may be taken out of my breeding project due to her not wanting to breed, not ovulating, and when placed with a male she stops eating for weeks at a time. She's my loner girl don't look at me, don't touch me, don't put anyone in my tub.

Daughter is the one that attacks the tub and hurts her mouth all the time. That's been all healed up and she's finally stopped hitting her mouth on the tub. (covered tub sides real good this time). She is actually a lot better than she's was. Her inside of the lid has been swelling up, currently getting the same drops and finally eatting.

The third one, my poor baby, she just won't open her eyes at all and has had to have an abscess removed from her one eye. The vet put it and a vial and gave it to me so I could see what it was. She is also on the same drops.

All three will be going back in for check ups in a few days. The vet and I will be talking about the bad shed girl and what we think is best for her to live a long healthy, happy life, or to determine if she can even have one.

Old 03-22-2006, 01:45 PM   #20
USAGECKOS
I hope everything works out, I know how stressful this can be, keep your chin up!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!