Timers - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:26 AM   #11
Scott Nellis
Talking Yes...

They make the cheap version of timers with the three prong outlet. They are usually sold as "appliance" timers instead of "lamp" timers. They are twice as expensive as the cheap lamp timers but hold up a lot better. They can also handle a LOT more wattage than the two prong outlet lamp timers. I have a few with the the six outlet power strip plugged into them and have no problems running six different light strips or heat lamps.

Scott Nellis

Old 11-03-2006, 10:59 AM   #12
Chris Steele
Do these appliance timers come digital as well?

Old 11-03-2006, 11:08 AM   #13
Scott Nellis
Talking Mmmmm....

I would imagine so. My mechanical ones are still working well, so I haven't really looked for any more, but I would guess that they make them in digital formats now.

Scott Nellis

Old 11-03-2006, 05:53 PM   #14
Chris Steele
Haha, I know this sounds ridiculous, but a lot of the mechanical ones I've had broke within days, the ?clips? broke when it was that time. The others broke within a few months. How long have yours been working?

Old 11-03-2006, 06:09 PM   #15
number1steakfan
How do you keep breaking them I have used mech. on bds tanks for at least 3 years.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:49 PM   #16
Chris Steele
I don't touch them, I just walk in the room and there the two sides of the peg are 5 feet from the timer. I guess its possible I got a bunch of duds since I tried one kind buying them all at once that makes it more likely I guess...

Old 11-05-2006, 01:28 PM   #17
Scott Nellis
Talking years....

I've used my mechanical "appliance" timers for several years now...at least 8...but maybe not constantly. Of course, they cost a whole $8.99 back in 1998, so maybe that had something to do with it. I never was a fan of "get the cheapest ones to do the job" type of thinking. I don't know what brand they are, but I got them all at Target over about a year's span. They are all still working fine although one of the very first ones I got does make a lot of creaky, whining noise while it's plugged in...I guess the inner gears are getting worn. I think that the fact that there are made to handle heavy duty appliances (think room A/C), that they are made to a higher standard. Of course, you may be right and got a bunch of "duds" from the same lot. Try some different brands and definately get the heavy duty models, it'll probably work out much better. Now, if I can get my fluorescent lights to last! The damn ballasts keep crapping out...lol!

Scott Nellis

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!