Bite Club - Page 21 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

View Poll Results: What best describes your personal experience??
Never been bitten. I tend to keep more placid species IE Cornsnakes. 55 9.60%
Have been nipped at a few times from my baby Python or Boa. 223 38.92%
I get hit every freaking day by something, whether I'm cleaning cages or just free handling for 'special time'. 34 5.93%
I've been hit hundreds of times from just about everything!! Kings, Milks, Pythons, Boas, but nothing too severe. 104 18.15%
I was at the wrong end (the recipient) of an extremely painful bite from a very large constrictor. 95 16.58%
I use extreme caution when handling any of my reptiles, and have not been bit by anything other than my neighbors dog, my house cat, or my neighbor. What's all this nonsense about Reptile bites??? 62 10.82%
Voters: 573. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2007, 04:01 PM   #201
critical bill
Worst bite I've ever received was over 15 years ago. Large adult green iguana. Latched onto my thumb while doing a show for a kindergarten class in my shop. Poor kids were all screwed up crying and screaming. Teacher turned to run away thinking she was next and took out a hexagon tank display I had setup for sale. It was a nightmare.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:14 PM   #202
romad119
Quote:
Originally Posted by critical bill
Worst bite I've ever received was over 15 years ago. Large adult green iguana. Latched onto my thumb while doing a show for a kindergarten class in my shop. Poor kids were all screwed up crying and screaming. Teacher turned to run away thinking she was next and took out a hexagon tank display I had setup for sale. It was a nightmare.
Now that would make a good movie scene.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:57 PM   #203
addicted
The last thing i want to get bitten by is a large lizard,Give me a snake bite any day.I wish you had that on tape...LoL.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:20 PM   #204
Melinda
Got another minor bite for the bite club. As usual, feeding day, hungry snake, slow human. Apparently Dumeril Boa's have a double set of teeth on the top jaw. She also gave me a single set of marks on the bottom of my thumb. She is such a good girl, she let go after only a couple seconds when she realized I was not the biggest rat she had seen.

20lb female Dumeril

Old 05-12-2007, 09:59 AM   #205
ianm
oh yeah?

you guys may have more gory, bloody wounds, but imagine the mental trauma that comes from not knowing for sure if you've even been bit until you squint and focus with one eye, finding two tiny puncture marks and a nanodrop of thin, pinkish blood:

haha. close one eye and pray, and you can barely see two little tooth holes. from a very cautious little 10 month old diamond coastal intergrade.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:23 PM   #206
Jake The Snake
15 lb female boa bite from the other day. Even got a few teeth with this one. More pain digging the tooth out than the actual bite

and heres the "big" tooth

Not a bad bite but a bite with pics none the less

Old 06-19-2007, 09:00 PM   #207
TheFragginDragon
Ok, I've got a story...

I was living at Wurtsmith AFB at the time, and my son's teacher found out that I keep reptiles, so I was invited to bring my menagerie to the 3rd grade class for show and tell. First to say hello was my 6 foot Green Iguana 'Pip', who I took in a small dog carrier. He behaved himself fortunately (he wasn't always so well mannered). Next was my Bullsnake "Bullet", another 6 feet of snake that should have been a poster child for ADHD. Lastly was my pride and joy, "Pepper", my California Kingsnake. I raised her from a baby. I'm sitting on a small chair explaining all about how snakes live, grow, eat, etc....when all of a sudden I feel a pinch on my right pinkie. I look down and she is preparing to make my little finger a meal. So I'm sitting there, trying to act as non-chalantly as I can, still babbling away about reptile behavior, whilst trying to pry her mouth off of my digit without alerting the roomful of eight year olds, as I did NOT want to get phone calls from angry parents that night screaming about how I scared their kids to death.... . Needless to say, I will NEVER forget the hand soap again!
Sadly, Pepper is gone now after being with me for 15 years, I had to have her euthanized in 2004 after she contracted tumors all through her body....I miss that little girl.
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...id=47756&stc=1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pepper1.JPG (52.5 KB, 314 views)

Old 06-19-2007, 11:58 PM   #208
romad119
My female woma tried eating me the other day. No big strike just bit and tried eating my hand.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:53 PM   #209
gant77
My worst bite was from a hungry 6ft+ BCC female. She latched on and tried to wrap around my arm but she couldnt do it so she hung from my arm. I did get her off and had 2 nice rows of blood marks on my arm It hurt and bled bad but it was my fault so I couldn't be mad The worst part of the whole ordeal was the bite got infected. Easy fix though!

Old 07-08-2007, 02:05 PM   #210
armchairangel
I've had a number of little hits from my snakes, nothing that has drawn blood though - yet. I like to think of myself as a decent snake handler, I know body language that suggests biting, I know how to pick them up to avoid a hit and stuff. There have been a few feeding incidents where our ball pythons have struck at us, but they've always managed to miss. I got hit at work after giving a 70 gram ball python an injection. We hand feed our garter snake pinkies and sometime she thinks our fingers are food too - sand paper pinches! My most recent bite was from our baby black rat snake who gave me NO warning at all, just bam! And I couldn't even see where he had hit me. Maybe that's all it was, just an impact, no teeth involved. His teeth aren't big enough to make marks yet, so maybe he did think he was being ferocious. Our most recently acquired snake is a 3 yr old cornsnake who was known to be very jumpy and a biter. He hasn't shown a single thought of biting us yet and is nothing but mellow. Maybe it was operator error?

In my line of work (vet tech) I handle a lot of angry, scared or hurt animals. I've been bitten by dogs through muzzles (though they bruise, they haven't broken the skin - yet) and cats have grazed my skin with their teeth. The most damage I get are from claws though. Mice bites HURT. My favorite precious 16 year old parakeet has drawn blood on the end of my nose.

My worst bite actually came from one of my favorite cats. He was a bit neurotic about his food and for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to let him eat from my hand. He gobbled up every little kibble and impaled my finger in the process, a canine puncture on both the top and bottom. It showed signs of infection less than 8 hours afterwards. Luckily, triple antibiotic ointment smeared liberally over the entire digit did the trick.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!