Inbreeding - Page 22 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 05:06 PM   #211
Tere Salazar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazydude
Im going to ask where exactly she came from next time im at the reptile shop I got her from. But the dragons they sell are they dragons they hatched exept a few that come from this place. So I might ask well email the place and ask. Because I do feel that adeno or inbreeding come into play in my case.

Ill email Lou Ann when I get a chance but would it be better to try to get PCR testing done? Or is it fine either way. I remember that PCR is suposidly more accurate but im not sure.

Right now shes on supers but im looking into roaches and have been looking into worms, Just cant bring myself to pay 10 bucks for shipping 10 bucks of worms from mulberry and risk she doesnt like them, Any chance anyone knows a east coast place that carries silks/horns? But thats OT, sorry.

Just a quick question, How far back does chromosones carry Family DNA, For example with enough outbreeding can it clean out the related DNA or is there always a trace there.

Im sorry about Fiera but glad to hear Itty bitty and Teiny Tiny are growing, Ive been checkin your site every so often for updates.

And I know by the time I post this there will be 2 more pages but ohh well.

Thanks for your help both of you
Personally, for the testing, I'd run a round of fecals. If she's positive, and you do the fecal collection properly, it's going to show. Once you get those results back, if you or LouAnn have any doubts, then go for the PCR. Yes, the PCR is more sensitive, but I think most times, if done properly, the fecal will catch it if it's there, and it's a lot less expensive. I'm sure if anyone else knows differently, they will say so.

I wish I had some answers to your other questions, but I don't.

Thanks for your well wishes. I will get around to the website someday. It's still just a tad difficult right now.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:15 PM   #212
Crazydude
I looked back on my threads and I went Off topic and sort of made it another adeno thread. I appologize for that.
I have A few other questions regarding Inbreeding.

If 1 of the parents was inbreed and the other not would the baby have a weekend immune system like the 1 parent that was inbreed or will it be 1/2 as week ext. Like when outcrossing are you outcrossing the inbreed line?

I know no one here is a field researcher or herpatologist but in the wild if inbreeding occurs dont the babies most likely die because of a weakend immune system, Also does anyone know the chances of 2 clutchmates or similar parents meeting in the wild?

Currently is there any way for breeders to obtain dragons from australia to strengthen the lines or is there a strict no exporting policy over there, I know I read its hard to import but what about exporting dragons.

And last is does anyone have any insite on what Dr. Jacobsons current studdies are in adeno, Like what tests is he running ext.

Thanks again

Old 06-25-2007, 05:16 PM   #213
Tere Salazar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Dragons
Did you see any problems with her hatchlings the year before like you did with the tiny dragons? Or were these hers from the year before? (Sorry, I am not totally sure of what happened at what time). I have heard that inbreeding (which we have already determined is inevitable to some degree) will cause dwarfism and other issues to show up more often. I just wonder if that could be a factor with your tiny dragons. Have they tested positive?

Jamie
Okay...that's it. I'm having some major brain function issues again. I'm sure it's that I'm not being clear, and not that you can't be sure.

Are you asking if we had problems with Fiera's clutches last year, or with Annie's (the mother of the tiny babies)?

If it's Fiera's, the answer is no. I don't think I even had a slow grower from those clutches, but have since been informed that one of their (Fiera x Adonis) offspring is having some major issues. Those offspring I believe are around 14-16 months, and this little girl did just like Mama...laid a bunch of infertile clutches, starting at 9 months, I believe, and is having some strange issues. I don't really have the full story, other than she's not doing well. Her owner has not and will not test her for Adenovirus. That is the only report I've had from those offspring.

If you're talking about Annie's babies, that was her first and last breeding season, so she didn't have any before to compare to. And yes, the tiny ones have tested positive for Adenovirus.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:21 PM   #214
Tere Salazar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazydude
I looked back on my threads and I went Off topic and sort of made it another adeno thread. I appologize for that.
I have A few other questions regarding Inbreeding.

If 1 of the parents was inbreed and the other not would the baby have a weekend immune system like the 1 parent that was inbreed or will it be 1/2 as week ext. Like when outcrossing are you outcrossing the inbreed line?

I know no one here is a field researcher or herpatologist but in the wild if inbreeding occurs dont the babies most likely die because of a weakend immune system, Also does anyone know the chances of 2 clutchmates or similar parents meeting in the wild?

Currently is there any way for breeders to obtain dragons from australia to strengthen the lines or is there a strict no exporting policy over there, I know I read its hard to import but what about exporting dragons.

And last is does anyone have any insite on what Dr. Jacobsons current studdies are in adeno, Like what tests is he running ext.

Thanks again
Ben,

I can only answer one of your questions with any degree of certainty. I do know that Dr. Jacobson had planned on running a study on the eggs of Adeno positive animals, to see if the Adeno was in the egg, or if the egg had been contaminated. This is one of the studies we were supposed to participate in, but I haven't heard anything else from him.

Another study we were supposed to participate in was testing on our little girl who is Adeno positive, and Calicivirus positive. I don't know what the study is exactly, but I just sent the first round of fecals about a month ago. I haven't heard anything about that either.

Aren't I such a big help today?

Old 06-25-2007, 05:25 PM   #215
whiskersmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladragon
Ben,

I can only answer one of your questions with any degree of certainty. I do know that Dr. Jacobson had planned on running a study on the eggs of Adeno positive animals, to see if the Adeno was in the egg, or if the egg had been contaminated. This is one of the studies we were supposed to participate in, but I haven't heard anything else from him.

Another study we were supposed to participate in was testing on our little girl who is Adeno positive, and Calicivirus positive. I don't know what the study is exactly, but I just sent the first round of fecals about a month ago. I haven't heard anything about that either.

Aren't I such a big help today?
Tere, I think what you've been through and what you are doing now is a HUGE help!
Thanks so much.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:29 PM   #216
Tere Salazar
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskersmom
Tere, I think what you've been through and what you are doing now is a HUGE help!
Thanks so much.
AWWW!!! Thank you. I do try...hair-brainedness and all.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:36 PM   #217
KelliH
Quote:
What I have a huge problem with is to inbreed so closely to get a desirable trait that is going to be extremely hard to care for.
I think most everyone posting in this thread has a problem with that. All of us have a passion for reptiles, and none of us want our animals to be weaker, inside or outside.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:40 PM   #218
Valley Dragons
Quote:
Okay...that's it. I'm having some major brain function issues again. I'm sure it's that I'm not being clear, and not that you can't be sure.

Are you asking if we had problems with Fiera's clutches last year, or with Annie's (the mother of the tiny babies)?

If it's Fiera's, the answer is no. I don't think I even had a slow grower from those clutches, but have since been informed that one of their (Fiera x Adonis) offspring is having some major issues. Those offspring I believe are around 14-16 months, and this little girl did just like Mama...laid a bunch of infertile clutches, starting at 9 months, I believe, and is having some strange issues. I don't really have the full story, other than she's not doing well. Her owner has not and will not test her for Adenovirus. That is the only report I've had from those offspring.

If you're talking about Annie's babies, that was her first and last breeding season, so she didn't have any before to compare to. And yes, the tiny ones have tested positive for Adenovirus.
Sorry, I was probably not very clear in my question. I think I am going crossed-eyed from staring at the computer screen, lol. That answers my question. Thanks.

Jamie

Old 06-25-2007, 05:43 PM   #219
Valley Dragons
Quote:
Ben,
Another study we were supposed to participate in was testing on our little girl who is Adeno positive, and Calicivirus positive.
What is calicivirus and its effects on dragons? This is the first I have ever heard of it.

Jamie

Old 06-25-2007, 05:55 PM   #220
Tere Salazar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Dragons
What is calicivirus and its effects on dragons? This is the first I have ever heard of it.

Jamie
Yeah, that makes two of us. From what I understand, it's not real common, but they have been seeing it more frequently lately, due to the increase in Adeno testing.

I haven't read that much on it, but the little I did find said that it's found more often in cats and that it causes respiratory-type issues. The little girl that has it doesn't have anything respiratory, but does have the nastiest hiney I've ever dealt with. She's had fecals upon fecals, and never shows parasites, but still has the absolute grossest poops. Like the kind that make you gag while you're cleaning them up. Aside from that, she is a good size girl, excellent eater, just really doesn't have any other issues. I'm not real sure if the poops have anything to do with Calicivirus or not, but thought I'd rather be over-thorough, than not thorough enough.

As for being cross-eyed looking at the computer screen, I'm right there with you! I really don't think it was your question though. I'm telling you...I'm having major comprehension issues today, so much so that I can't even complete a thought.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread