Bite Club - Page 26 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

View Poll Results: What best describes your personal experience??
Never been bitten. I tend to keep more placid species IE Cornsnakes. 55 9.60%
Have been nipped at a few times from my baby Python or Boa. 223 38.92%
I get hit every freaking day by something, whether I'm cleaning cages or just free handling for 'special time'. 34 5.93%
I've been hit hundreds of times from just about everything!! Kings, Milks, Pythons, Boas, but nothing too severe. 104 18.15%
I was at the wrong end (the recipient) of an extremely painful bite from a very large constrictor. 95 16.58%
I use extreme caution when handling any of my reptiles, and have not been bit by anything other than my neighbors dog, my house cat, or my neighbor. What's all this nonsense about Reptile bites??? 62 10.82%
Voters: 573. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2009, 04:33 PM   #251
HiddenHollowHerp
Lol! I'm glad you found something she finds tasty! Did she take it afterwards?

Old 01-05-2009, 07:25 PM   #252
creatism123
well i have been bit more times than i care to think about. the most memerable one was by av female borneo short tailed, she was 30 or 40 lbs and around 6 ft or so. my feeding proceedure was open cage throw rabbit, close door. well she missed the rabbit got my hand right in webbing between thumb and forefinger, wrapped my hand etc. took 2 people to pry her off of me and my hand swelled to the size of grapefruit. nothing broken thank god still hurt.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:42 PM   #253
HiddenHollowHerp
:O OMG! A couple more feet on her and she could've taken you down! I got hit in the same exact spot by a rattler when I was a kid, and that would've hurt from a colubrid, let alone a boa!

After this incident, did you invest in feeding tongs, or were you back to the same method next feeding day? Lol.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:17 PM   #254
creatism123
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenHollowHerp View Post
After this incident, did you invest in feeding tongs, or were you back to the same method next feeding day? Lol.
nope barbeque tongs. did the trick with the rabbits. my old tongs just could not hold the rabbits well enough.

plus they were cheaper than any tongs i ever bought at a show

Old 01-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #255
HiddenHollowHerp
Good idea. Cost efficient, and possibly a little grippier too. But the best feature.. Your snake doesn't take half of your hand at every feeding! Lol.

I used to use salad tongs when I fed my BP, and it worked fine and dandy!

Old 01-05-2009, 09:55 PM   #256
creatism123
[quote=HiddenHollowHerp;662792]Good idea. Cost efficient, and possibly a little grippier too. But the best feature.. Your snake doesn't take half of your hand at every feeding! Lol.

QUOTE]

aint that the truth

Old 01-07-2009, 12:53 AM   #257
Helenthereef
I've found that rinsing my hands in alcohol between food animals seems to reduce the mis-strikes I was getting when hand feeding. Doesn't hurt to take some of it internally either...

Old 01-07-2009, 01:23 AM   #258
ForkedTung
Ahhh...we need pictures here people....This thread is all about the blood, waves and oceans of blood....If there isn't a picture, then it didn't happen

Old 01-07-2009, 07:52 AM   #259
MattK
Where I work we make hand sanitizer and I put purell on my hands before handling, seems to deter them just from the smell alone. And if they do bite their not on you for long.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:57 PM   #260
Keleida
The worst bite for me was from a cat. I was cleaning his cage, and he jumped out on me and was wandering around the room. He started climbing up one of the steel cages, so I go to grab him. The cat knew I was there, so I didn't startle him. The little bugger chomped down on my left hand right between my knuckles and kept chomping. About seven bites, all in the same wound.

I felt fine, I put him back in his cage (at which time he was acting like a perfectly normal feline) and then i noticed that the color of my gloves looked funny. I was bleeding so much. I sort of just laughed and thought "well hell, I get to go home early". I managed to walk maybe ten feet, and I started going into shock. I fainted right in front of my boss as he was showing around the person he just hired

That damn bite made my hand swell up four times its size for a few days. I'm just glad it was on my left and not my right.

Reptile-wise, I've only had a few corns, garters, and... bearded dragons. The corns and garters I didn't feel at all, only afterward the bites felt mildly itchy like a mosquito bite.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!