Mite infested. Grrrrr - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-13-2008, 03:37 AM   #21
Cat_72
None of us can diagnose what is wrong with this snake over the internet...while my opinion is that it looks to be something neurological (knowing the history of chemicals/toxins used, often neurotoxins will cause spasms of the axial nerves in the back, causing hyperextension and rigidity), but it COULD be many things.

And why does he have Neosporin on him, and did you use the type of Neosporin that has a pain reliever in it? The pain relieving agent is NOT good for herps either.

Jason, I don't mean to be rude, but if you cannot afford a simple vet visit for him, you need to figure something out or find someone to take him that can. He may be in discomfort, and it really shouldn't be a choice to let an animal suffer or die over $50.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:07 PM   #22
jamay
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHerpinator
A good vet is FAR more cost effective than a lot of people think. I'm talking $60 for a visit. They can at least give you some very good advice (picking a good herp vet) as an alternative to expensive medications and such.

Neosporin. Kills mites by asphyxiation. What happens to their dead bodies?

Edit2: At the very least, spend $20 on some reptile relief. It is a very good method of dealing with a horrible little creature (the mites, I mean.... :P ) I had a pretty good mite problem and one session of about 4 hours, new substrate, RR and Provent, and it was done. I haven't seen mite one since. In ONE session. That cost me $100 for everything, but I have several enclosures to deal with.

Edit3: You haven't bathed this guy in neosporin have you?
I think you may have misunderstood slighty. I didn't use neosporin to treat mites because the sevin dust took care of them completely. The mites that had gotten to his eye caused what appeared to be an infection. It was swollen and he couldn't see out of it at all. It was like that before I even treated him for mites. So for the next couple of days I applied a small amount of neosporin around the edges of his eye. The swelling reduced and he can can see again, but as you can see its not back to normal. I certainly didn't bathe him in neosporin. The only other place I applied it to was under his mouth.

Mites are no longer a threat to this guy. I have been using newspaper as substrate and cleaning out his viv everyday since. I sprinkled sevin dust all around the viv to kill and prevent any strays from returning.

In the future I will use RR as treatment but hopefully I won't have that problem.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:09 PM   #23
jamay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
None of us can diagnose what is wrong with this snake over the internet...while my opinion is that it looks to be something neurological (knowing the history of chemicals/toxins used, often neurotoxins will cause spasms of the axial nerves in the back, causing hyperextension and rigidity), but it COULD be many things.

And why does he have Neosporin on him, and did you use the type of Neosporin that has a pain reliever in it? The pain relieving agent is NOT good for herps either.

Jason, I don't mean to be rude, but if you cannot afford a simple vet visit for him, you need to figure something out or find someone to take him that can. He may be in discomfort, and it really shouldn't be a choice to let an animal suffer or die over $50.
I used basic equate triple antibiotic for his eye.

I wasn't expecting a diagnosis but was curious if anyone has gone through something similar.

I appreciate everyone's input. I will be making arrangements for professional treatment asap.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!