The Urban geckos? anyoen buy one this year - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-24-2004, 05:23 AM   #21
Xavier
Subspecies

Has it been documented that these subspecies have been hybridized in captivity? Could thse be the cause of 3 type of albinos?

Old 07-24-2004, 06:54 AM   #22
Gregg M
The three albino types have nothing to do with subspecies...... It is a different albino gene....... Any subspecies can be any of the three albinos...... But on a similar note, there are things known as locality spacific recessive gene..... This is where normal colored animals are "phased out" by a mutated color gene and that gene works out better in that particular isolated area......

Old 07-24-2004, 10:18 AM   #23
robin d.
ORIGINALLY each particular form of albinism could have been from different subspecies but so much crossing has caused it so just mesh with in all our captive bred crossed subspecies (or mutts if you will)... crossing subspecies to subspecies is called crossing. a hybrid would be the breeding of two seperate species to create a new one like for instance
a morelia viridis (chondro or green tree python) x morelia spilota cheynei which makes a carpondro.... as far as i know these animals are infertile
or Python m. bivittatus x Python reticulatus ,i do not know if these are sterile or can breed to otherof the two different species or even back to each other

Old 07-24-2004, 11:18 AM   #24
Intense Herpetoculture
It's extremely likely that most of the stock that started the orginal albino lines as well as some of the orginal breeding groups of leopard geckos are all the same subspcies. Leoaprd geckos have only been exported out of Pakistan. After researching exports out of Pakistan the majority of stock has been collected from the same general area over the past 20 years. A few animals have been smuggled over borders from India and Afganistan into Pakistan, but only within the last 5-7 years to meet demands of several European importers, and a small California company. So while I do believe the captive bred leopard geckos are "mutts" comprizing of 2-3 subpsecies, I do think perhaps we over state this more then we should.

Old 07-24-2004, 04:17 PM   #25
robin d.
Quote:
So while I do believe the captive bred leopard geckos are "mutts" comprizing of 2-3 subpsecies, I do think perhaps we over state this more then we should.
i have to disagree here a bit justyn.. i can loook in my collection and see several different types of geckos and body structures,head shape ,tail lengths and whatnot. i would also be willing to bet some of the european bloodlines and subspcies have ibn time made it over here. their seems to be too much varying bidy types,head shape and eye positions for me to belive that what we have here is mainly the works of one subsoecies

Old 07-25-2004, 08:35 PM   #26
Gregg M
Hey Robin,
I have even notice differences in the foot structure as well..... Yhere has got to be something to this......

Old 07-25-2004, 10:08 PM   #27
robin d.
ok ima go check out feet and i will get back to you... i got alot 0of feet to check over here LOL

Old 07-25-2004, 11:16 PM   #28
Golden Gate Geckos
more than three sub-species

Quote:
eublepharis macularus the the three subspecies
Don't forget about E. turkmenicus and E. agraminyu... not only are the toe structures different, but the chin scale counts/locations are as well. If you haven't had the opportunity to look at this site, it's pretty interesting:

http://bornova.ege.edu.tr/~bgocmen/home14.html

Old 07-26-2004, 01:09 AM   #29
robin d.
arent those other two species?
shoot even if they are they could easily im assured be hybridized with the machularus species/subspecies

Old 07-26-2004, 01:23 AM   #30
robin d.
i wiould crap for e.hardwickii....... but after seeing "midnight run" id be scared to even go near that area. LOL i waslk in circles and mumble to myself as it is... no need to add to it

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!