How to kill a sale! - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 02-15-2003, 06:12 AM   #21
John Apple
Danny I see your point

"thes is a codamanet trat

I see your point , I guess grammer has a lot to do with how an honest herper comes across

peace

Old 02-15-2003, 12:18 PM   #22
NEWReptiles
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...threadid=13642

Look in the background, I see this as another great way to kill a sale. Im not trying to knock this guy, but if the surroundings are that messy, how are the snakes kept?

Old 02-15-2003, 12:38 PM   #23
Fred Albury
Background is totally important

AL is totally right about this one...

I had a guy once sell me a Suriname Boa, the picture looked GREAT in terms of the boa, great color, a nice SURINAME BCC.

I sent the money out.

It was shipped to me 4 days later.

It was dark, rather ugly, and the colors on the picture were
no where to be found. I was told be the seller that it needed heat, humidity.

I gave it both...

It shed...

Still was ugly as sin..........

Then i looked at the pic again to compare it.

the guy had taken the pic of the snake in his BATHROOM!
with a nice shot of the toilet and EMPTY toilet paper roll in
the background!!!

I didnt pay attention...
I saw the hole instead of the donut....

We settled the matter weeks later, he gave me half my money back and I got to kep the snake.

I sold it at the next reptile show, for a tiny price.

I agree, if the guy isnt going to be interested enough to take pics in an area that doesnt distract you, that doesnt have trash and empty containers in the background, then he doesnt want the sale. Honstly, we all have snake rooms that get cluttered like this from time to time. but to leave it that way is wrong, and in terms of sales, just plain dumb.

P.S.
This guy is also not just selling any reg snake..he is selling HETS, honestly, how are you going to trust someone you dont know to sell you snakes that are HETS, in light of the dirty conditions in the pic?

Sincerely,

Fred Albury

Old 02-15-2003, 04:13 PM   #24
Glenn Bartley
Please allow me the liberty to reprint the original quote:

“thes snakes are 2002 babays they were produse form salmon hypo to salmon hypo thes makes them f2s I have 10 here are some of the nice ones. 500 each thes is a codamanet trat.the 3 I posted are all females.”

Now please read another quote, this one from Keeping And Breeding Snakes (Mattison, Chris. Blanford Press, London. 1992. p. 66)

“Care of the common boa is normally straightforward, although newborn snakes can be delicate, being especially susceptible, in my experience, to cold. Adults and young require a temperature approaching 30 C (86 F), although this may be allowed to drop slightly at night. Diet is mice, rats and rabbits, according to the size of the snake, and so some individuals will, if necessary, take chicks and other birds."

How would the person who wrote the ad in question read the Mattison quote and, how would the same person relay this type of information to someone buying a snake from him/her? I can, of course only guess, based upon the content of the original ad. My guess would be along these lines:

'car of thes commonboa is normal straight. all tough newborn snakes can deficate. be especially in my experience suspectable when cold adults and young require a temperature 30 to 86 but you can drop it at night. Diet is mice rats and rabbits according to size some individuals will necessary take chicks and birds.'

Maybe I am not giving the author of the ad enough credit about how he/she would interpret the Mattison quote, or about how he/she would relay this information to someone else. I could be wrong but, the grammatical structure and spelling of the advertisement certainly does make me wonder if such would be along the lines of the advice one would receive from the author of the ad. In fact, I am wondering, even more so, if the whole thing is just a joke of some sort?

If it is not a joke – do you really want to buy an animal from someone who wrote an ad like that? I certainly would not do so. Why – well, if for no other reason than my doubt (based upon my opinion) about his/her possible (maybe even probable) inability to interpret and pass on written instructions and; yes I base my doubt upon the content of his/her written ad.

Hopefully this was a bit more objective than my last response to this thread.
Best regards,
Glenn

Old 02-15-2003, 05:04 PM   #25
Seamus Haley
Something I question in that second ad is contained within the last few lines... The 66% possible het for albino female then has a comment to the effect of "the odds of her being het are HUGE!" after her description...

Which is either dishonest or shows a serious lack of understanding about how basic mendelian genetics work. Either way it gives an impression that is not truthful to the customer, which, intentional or not, isn't morally right.

Each zygote has it's own individual set of odds based on the genetics of the parents (Or possible genetics of the parents). Since albinos were produced in the clutch and no mention of the parents being albino themselves was made, it's safe to assume it was a het to het breeding, which would result in the 66% likelyhood of the female in question being heterozygous for albino... But that 66% chance is the specifics odds of her being a heterozygous animal and the other offspring in the clutch have nothing whatsoever to do with the likelyhood of her genetics.

There are actually additional factors and likelyhoods inherent in anything where you're trying to predict probability but they're nearly impossible to calculate into something of this nature when determining which sperm met with which ovum but... looking at the "big picture" and utilizing unspecified numbers of indeterminate value, there would logically be a slightly lowered chance of the remaining animals being heterozygous when multiple albinos were produced in such a fashion, although this is a conclusion that can only be based off a much wider tendency from multiple breedings and multiple animals of identical traits and, because of the enormous uncertainty inherent in the bassic assumption that the avaliable reproductive cells are composed, numerically of approximately 50% the reccessive trait and 50% the dominant and that there is no physical inhibition to the equal success of the individual reproductive cells... So, as I said, it's a virtual non-issue and it's best to consider each zygote as an independant equation (which it is really) since there's very little difference between 66% (which isn't exactly accurate anyway, it should be 66.66666[repeating decimal]%) and 65.6666664% isn't something that would (Or should) be taken into account by an individual making relatively few pairings with their animals...

Point being, saying there's a stronger chance that the animal will be heterozygous based off the other offspring in the clutch is inappropriate and dishonest.

Old 02-15-2003, 05:12 PM   #26
Seamus Haley
Quote:
65.6666664%
I just wanted to add that this is a number I simply created, it's not a factual represntation of the actual likelyhood of the animal's being heterozygous, it's simply something that I used as an example because it's very close to 66%

The exact likelyhood can't be predicted because it's not really a given that there is an exact 50/50 split between the traits the gametes are actually carrying, but it's close enough to reasonabally assume that there would likely be a fairly equal number and as such, the comments about the increased chances on an unproven 66% possible animal STILL wouldn't be any higher because there were albinos produced and would STILL logically be very slightly LOWER (although in an almost meaningless sense because of the number of gametes the male produces).

Old 02-15-2003, 09:41 PM   #27
The BoidSmith
Quote:
If it is not a joke – do you really want to buy an animal from someone who wrote an ad like that?
No it was not a joke. On the same day there were two additional ads posted by the same company. None of the other two had the grammatical errors this one had. It seems as if there are two partners to the firm, but I would absoultely leave the writing of the adds to one of them.

Best regards.

Old 02-16-2003, 06:26 PM   #28
John Apple
Stupidity and Ignorance
These are definate sale killers
I can remember many years ago as a fledgling , I was going to buy a cornsnake from a pet store here in Ann Arbor [the store was in the Plymouth Mall] Well the person was so quick to sell me a snake that he told me this 'corn' was eating crickets for a couple of months. I also remember what I read in a book that corns as pets ate mice rats and birds. Needless to say at fourteen years old I had enough sence to go to another store with my Mother[ cmon I was fourteen I can't drive] which I made a nice purchase on a yellow rat that lived for 7 more years.
There are many ignorant people out there that think all of us are stupid

Old 02-16-2003, 07:32 PM   #29
Pennebaker
OK, OK...

Some level of professionalism is definitely lacking in the herp industry. I think that half the reason for people making it in this biz does have to do with marketing and advertising, the other half is still the animals (some make it more on one side than the other).
Adds that I cannot comprehend I click right off of. Shorthand beyond LOL is gibberish to me. Not everyone is computer lingo literate.
Messy rooms--well, my bedroom does look like that sometimes, but you wont see me taking photos in there. My excuse--I spend too much time cleaning up after all the animals that I have no time left to clean up after myself. Better make some money so I can hire a caretaker.
As for reptile breeders/dealers at shows being out of shape--I'd say it is a pretty good sampling of the American average. A couple well stacked guys like Fred (wish there were more ; ) ), and then a bunch of Homer Simpsons, and a bunch in the middle. I do not know how much that really reflects on the industry.

Harsh truth is that customers are nitpicky--they are used to flashy adds, hollywood appearances, and glossy brochures. You want customers, you gotta flash them to some degree to get their attention (a good photo and decent grammar is a start)--then give them the quality info to make the right choices.
Now if only I had more money to get more flashy!

Dana

Old 02-16-2003, 09:02 PM   #30
NEWReptiles
Quote:
Messy rooms--well, my bedroom does look like that sometimes,
It looked like a snake room to me. And no matter what it is, I have never seen any room like that.

I will be the first to admit I take better care of my animals and thier surroundings than I do myself.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!