Everglades Pythons this bad? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:14 AM   #21
Shadera
Ugh. Love bugs. I hated driving through there in a truck because of those.

For whatever odd reason, the feral cats issue is always off limits. Trap, neuter and release still leave cats out there to kill wildlife. Burms aren't getting that courtesy.

Had a total snake hater mention this to me the other day. He said the news had made it sound like you'd be tripping over all the snakes down there. How much proof does anyone need that they're down there, just not in anywhere near the numbers they were claiming. But went ahead and shoved knee-jerk legislation through anyways based on those inflated numbers and threat.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:01 PM   #22
JColt
Not to mention the monkeys

http://www.wildflorida.com/articles/...in_Florida.php

A wild monkey is no something you want to deal with.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:29 PM   #23
WebSlave
The problem with ANY efforts to eradicate "non-native" species is where, exactly, to draw that arbitrary line in the sand.

And it sure does help if YOU are the species drawing that line.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #24
Mister Internet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metachrosis View Post
all because I refused the kool-aid,your judgmental is well passed its service interval

Who then is the fool that plays another mans game ?
I rest my case.

Besides, you shouldn't be replying to me anyway... you're allowing yourself to be a sheep to this site's ALLEGED representation of a person from the Chicago area commenting on the effects of extremist paranoia. You certainly haven't proven to yourself, as your sig commands, that I am actually a person who formulated thoughts in first place, so as to warrant your response.

Rather glaring lack of judgment, wouldn't you say?? You might want to make sure you're not succumbing to the lull of mainstream internet technology and assuming forums are made up of people! WAKE UP!

Old 02-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #25
GMTIRRILL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Internet View Post
I rest my case.

Besides, you shouldn't be replying to me anyway... you're allowing yourself to be a sheep to this site's ALLEGED representation of a person from the Chicago area commenting on the effects of extremist paranoia. You certainly haven't proven to yourself, as your sig commands, that I am actually a person who formulated thoughts in first place, so as to warrant your response.

Rather glaring lack of judgment, wouldn't you say?? You might want to make sure you're not succumbing to the lull of mainstream internet technology and assuming forums are made up of people! WAKE UP!

Old 02-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #26
JColt
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
The problem with ANY efforts to eradicate "non-native" species is where, exactly, to draw that arbitrary line in the sand.

And it sure does help if YOU are the species drawing that line.
I remember what the Glads looked like in 1970 and what it was like in 1990. Man made destruction. Also my dad was one of the truckers when they started building Disney. I went with him one day. He drove the dump trucks with the 10 ft tires. Hauling muck and debris away. The devastation was sickeningly phenomenal. How about when they burned sugar cane. I used to watch 100's of animals flee. Many 1000's didnt make it out. To impact breeders the way they did when man and domestic animals have destroyed multiple times over.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #27
hadenglock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metachrosis View Post
Pest Eradication isnt a sport King Joe,its a necessity
they are essentially wild animals considering they are "feral" cats, if anything they should have a seasonal feral cat hunt.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #28
hadenglock
Honestly this only proves the news is truly far behind on its coverage, feral cats have been a problem destroying native wildlife (not only in florida) ever since they became domesticated (which goes waaaaayyyyyy back lol), its there instinct to catch and kill prey, get with the times this is old news CBC!

Old 02-02-2013, 12:02 AM   #29
snowgyre
Old news to anyone who has ever owned a pet cat who has brought "presents" home from time to time, but with the rampant and ignorant use of Trap-Neuter-Release being employed in municipalities across the world, spearheaded by Alley Cat Alleys (which thinks it has the authority to debunk scientific literature just because the results disagree with their image of fluffy harmless kitties), it's good that the negative impacts of cats on wildlife and even human health are finally hitting the mainstream media. TNR is widely advertised by ACA and HSUS as being the only "humane" method of "controlling" cat populations, when in fact it is neither humane nor effective at even stabilizing feral cat populations. It's a symptom of the larger anti-euthanasia movement (as seen by increasing numbers of no-kill shelters), which while laudable in its utopian ideals is completely unrealistic.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:33 AM   #30
WebSlave
Yeah, I don't know how many times I have seen cats patrolling our porch late at night looking to snag birds roosting overnight there. They look well fed, so I'm assuming they belong to our neighbors. 12 gauge "bird bombs" work as a temporary solution, but a permanent solution is likely illegal.

Years ago someone dropped off three young cats and they wanted to hang around here. Connie almost caved and wanted to let them stay till one of them made the mistake of snagged up a green anole right before her eyes. That was it. Cats had to go. You DON'T mess with the lizards here. They are ALL Connie's unofficial pets.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!