Concealed Weapons Ban- should it be lifted or no? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 02-14-2004, 02:42 PM   #21
Ken Harbart
So, tell me then, why would you wish to deny residents of your state who pass a background investigation and training course to carry a concealed weapon for the purpose of lawful self defense?

Old 02-14-2004, 02:43 PM   #22
Copperheadman
Isn't also in MO that you have to have the "blessing" of the County Sherrif or the Chief of Police before you can purchase a handgun? Or is that just hearsay?

Old 02-14-2004, 03:00 PM   #23
irishsnakes
ken; my only point is, were this to become law, the number of accidental woundings and deaths would far outnumber the times a handgun was actually used in a lawful selfdefense situation. i'm not some bleeding heart liberal. i just don't think the good outweighs the bad.
copper; no, you don't need permission from law enforcement to buy a gun in mo.

Old 02-14-2004, 03:43 PM   #24
Ken Harbart
Actually John, a permit is required in order to purchase a handgun in MO, as per MRS 571.090. The permit, which is granted by the county sheriff, must be returned to the sheriff by the seller, along with the description, make, model, and serial number of the firearm purchased. The permit, by statute, also contains the purchasers social security number, physical description, address, occupation, and the reason for purchasing a handgun.

Old 02-14-2004, 06:39 PM   #25
Copperheadman
Since Arkansas has become a state that has CCW,I am not aware of any accidental shootings or death contributed to any holder of a permit.Most of the shootings that I have been involved with on the EMS side of it,are all accidentals with rifles or shotguns.Or suicides.We responded to one that was accidental with a handgun,but it was a 16 yoa,way too young to hold a permit.

Also on the other subject,I know that you can buy a gun in MO,I did at Bass Pro,but a lady I work with wanted a handgun,but said the Sherrif would not sign the slip so she could.

Old 02-15-2004, 01:33 AM   #26
Darin Chappell
I would say that chances are very good for us in Missouri to have the right to CCW quite soon. St. Louis activist legal maneuverings notwithstanding.

I say again, that one of the very best evidences for the efficacy of CCW laws is the fact that not one, NOT ONE, of the States that have passed such regulations has rescinded their decision because they did not like the results!

Old 02-15-2004, 03:06 AM   #27
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally posted by irishsnakes
ken; my only point is, were this to become law, the number of accidental woundings and deaths would far outnumber the times a handgun was actually used in a lawful selfdefense situation. i'm not some bleeding heart liberal. i just don't think the good outweighs the bad.
Can you can name even one state or locality that already has a concealed weapons permit system in place, where this is true? The reason so many states are strongly considering a CCW law is because the exact opposite has taken place in those states already on the books.

For one thing, any time a crime has been prevented because the criminal decided the risk of the target being armed was too great, that is a "lawful self defense situation". Problem is, no one will really know how many times that happens. The only indication of it will be a general spiraling downwards of the general crime rate in the area. That means criminals are no longer doing as many criminal activities. Wonder why that is?

And even in cases where a person may actually draw their weapon in order to prevent a criminal event from taking place, MANY of these will never be reported either. I have had people pull up into my driveway under suspicious circumstances. (Understand that I live way out in the boonies, and my house is not visible from the road.) I made sure my gun in my pocket was plainly visible. Was a crime prevented? Maybe, I didn't ask. Did I call it in to the police? Nope. Why should I? I think I made my point to the guy that criminal activity at this location could become unhealthy for him.

Many crimes are prevented in a similar passive manner that are never reported anywhere.

Old 02-15-2004, 08:18 AM   #28
irishsnakes
webslave, i see your !and i sincerely hope you guys are right and i am wrong.
you gentlemen seem wll versed on the subject so maybe you can tell me; if people want to or feel the need to carry firearms, why must they feel concealed? i personnally think i would feel more comfortable if i knew exactly who around me was carrying a weapon. Ithink that as thorough as the background checks may be, some people who should not be allowed to obtain a permit will find a way to beat the system.

Old 02-15-2004, 01:38 PM   #29
WebSlave
A person carrying concealed in a locality where it is permitted, not only is protecting themselves, but also everyone else around them to some extent. Not so much that the person would draw a gun to help someone else, which they most likely would do, but a criminal is playing Russian roulette everytime they pick someone out as a potential victim. Is that person armed, or not? With open carry, that makes the choices easy to determine.

Also carrying concealed could also be considered as being courteous to those people who may just feel uncomfortable at the sight of a firearm. Some people are neutral on gun rights, but the sight of a firearm itself just makes them nervous.

Now open carry has a significant drawback as well. Not only does everyone know you are armed, but they also know exactly where your firearm is located. Quite frankly, firearms themselves are attractive targets for the criminal element. Why give them an edge by knowing exactly what you are carrying and an opportunity to be able to determine how best to disarm you? While carrying concealed, it is not always easy to determine where the firearm is actually located.

Now people who feel strongly against the carrying of firearms are certainly welcome to display this fact by wearing an armband or some other notice telling people that THEY are not armed and are proudly displaying that fact. And also they could mount a sign on their home saying that it is a "gun free" residence. But I have yet to see nor hear of anyone who is so strongly anti-gun that they would do something like that. I wonder why?

Old 02-16-2004, 09:28 AM   #30
eric adrignola
Quote:
Originally posted by irishsnakes
common misconception. Statistics don't show reality all the times.

Guns are much more functional as a deterrant than as an actual combat weapon. Look at the US military, in past conflicts, we've lost more soilders in training accidents, and car crashes than in actual combat. Why? Because our weapons(Military) deter others from shooting at us(invading).

Accordingly, handguns are "used" for defense far far more often than they are FIRED in self defense. These statistics are not reported as handgun "use".

The vast majority of times a criminal is confronted with an armed target, they do not pursue their initial plan. If a criminal KNOWS someone is armed, they won't attack them either.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!