What do you think of Dan's new site, Manhattan Herps? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-08-2005, 01:18 AM   #21
gurnham4
uh-yeah, complimentary colors wash things out, um ok.

Yeah, nice comment Dan, real smooth.

and i still think the orange needs to change. the blue pops the orange more on the gecko, hence, complementary color.

but if you don't want to listen to any of the people who have gone to college and studied design, photo, film and have experiance marketing, fine, don't listen to either one of us.

Old 02-08-2005, 01:26 AM   #22
Valerie
Well since everyone is waving their degrees around, I HAVE a degree in web design, thanks, and judging my the quality of his work, I would assume that he too, has a web degree. The site is BORING with the blue background, and not all geckos are orange, so saying that the blue is there to be complimentary...is retarded. What happens when you put a blizzard on the page? Couldn't that be used in the same argument with the blue background?

Old 02-08-2005, 01:36 AM   #23
Manhattan Herps
you may like the blue. but..i dont, i think ryan did an amazing job with the site and i owe him some some very nice geckos,

IMHO the blue color is totally off

i also really dont care if you have a degree in web design..that really does not mean whatever you say goes..thats the attitude you are giving off, the site will stay however i like it, i respect everyones opinion, but the "holyer than you because i have a degree in web design" attitude really isnt welcomed.. i took the orange color into consideration and asked if ryan could try to make it as close to the geckos color as possible, that will be the only change for now

but really... there is no need to turn this into a pissing war..

Old 02-08-2005, 02:16 AM   #24
StinaUIUC
I personally don't like the orange background...I think it dulls the geckos out so they don't look as good as they could. I'm definitely not studying web design or anything...but I just don't like the orange background. The geckos you have are orange (or at least generally have orange), and the orange background is just too much combined with that (besides washing the geckos out).

Old 02-08-2005, 02:55 AM   #25
o0 RYAN 0o
Wow

I never would have expected this to turn into such a huge discussion. I appreciate the comments from some, and will take some of the other comments into consideration in future projects. I'm just trying to help Dan out, as well as Shannan with Leopard Geckos Inc. My goal is to help raise the bar of some of the sites out there. I'm not trying to start a war like Dan said. I really think a few of you are thinking a little far into this. I can't control your monitor settings and the colors you see. Some of you say it's fine others don't. Regardless the colors in the photos are what they are. If you feel that the orange background may sway your decision in buying a gecko, just leave the pop-up of the gecko up, and minimize the site. Check the gecko out without the site colors around.

On a random note, one of you mentioned using a blue or black background for your leo photos. The new photos I will be adding have a black background. Maybe this could sway your comments about the geckos coloring. The black definitely makes the geckos colors stand out.

Also, the site could use a proof read. If anyone would like to help skim through the site looking for errors, it will be greatly appreciated. Sometimes after looking at at something for so long, it's easy to overlook things. Another set of eyes is ideal.

I do thank everyone for your comments. Like I said, I'm just trying to help raise the bar of your sites. I some cases you may love a site, and sometimes you wont. The client has the final say, and I'll be more than happy to work with them on whatever that may be.

If any of you are interested in a website or a redesign, feel free to email me: ryanroth@suscom.net. If you just want to chat that's fine too.

Thanks again!

Old 02-08-2005, 11:31 AM   #26
GeckoTracks
Quote:
Well since everyone is waving their degrees around, I HAVE a degree in web design, thanks, and judging my the quality of his work, I would assume that he too, has a web degree. The site is BORING with the blue background, and not all geckos are orange, so saying that the blue is there to be complimentary...is retarded. What happens when you put a blizzard on the page? Couldn't that be used in the same argument with the blue background?

Val I hardly call it retarded. If you do have a degree, then you should already know that blue and orange are in fact complementary. Web designers should already know this stuff. Complementary colors are the colors opposite of each other on the color wheel, Red-Green, Yellow-Purple, Blue-Orange. They both make each other appear brighter, if you have the exact or close to the opposite of the color you’re using. Complementary colors appear to be more vibrate when place next to each other and it is what grabs the eye. These colors always go well with one another, hence the name complementary.

http://onlinedictionary.datasegment....ementary+color
http://www.greatreality.com/CompFrame.htm
http://www.efuse.com/Design/mix-complementary.html
http://www.color-wheel-pro.com/color-schemes.html
There are plenty more sites that just those that explain complementary colors.

Dan you can keep the same sense of brightness and the eye popping effect, with a color scheme. Orange, yellows, reds mixed in. Or with the complementary colors, Blues, lighter blues and whites, it’s just all on how you use them.

^ eh I know that one could be a little better but I didn’t want to mess with fixing the little pixels around the boarder

Old 02-08-2005, 11:42 AM   #27
mindcrash
I much prefer the original version posted than any others. I think the orange is very cool.

Old 02-08-2005, 12:31 PM   #28
ShannanD25
Y'all better not keep my web guy too busy
i like both the bright orange and some of the blue concepts.

Old 02-08-2005, 12:48 PM   #29
Franks_Geckos
I have an idea!

The web site would like even better if there were a bunch of screaming hatchlings available on it!

Old 02-08-2005, 01:11 PM   #30
Manhattan Herps
workin on it frank!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!