Why do people....... More..... - Page 31 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-28-2005, 03:30 PM   #301
Wilomn
Mike, when you quote a questionable or downright wrong, not to mention stupid, sourse of information as "gospel" you are doing not only yourself a disservice but ALL of those who read and then believe what you have written.

Are you in the seminary by chance? There seems to be a lot of that going on in those particular learning institutions.

Check your sources or cover your butt. Misinformation is dangerous.

Old 02-28-2005, 03:39 PM   #302
Bringerofdoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilomn
Mike, when you quote a questionable or downright wrong, not to mention stupid, sourse of information as "gospel" you are doing not only yourself a disservice but ALL of those who read and then believe what you have written.

Are you in the seminary by chance? There seems to be a lot of that going on in those particular learning institutions.

Check your sources or cover your butt. Misinformation is dangerous.
Which post is that referring to?

Old 02-28-2005, 03:56 PM   #303
Wilomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringerofdoom
Which post is that referring to?
It was referring to the following in particular BUT it also refers to those prior and so on.

Quote:
As i said before, i was quoting a msn news article. Even i thought the process at adapting wolves into dogs by humans was alot longer and done by other cultures.

Though i can also agree with that msn article too. I have worked with chows and if bred to other species of canine for certain generations can yield totally different dogs (NOT ugly mutts). I even own a male Chow crossed with labs for 3 generations (without inbreeding) it posses a genetic pattern. It's very similar to the pattern found on a rottweiler and the pattern appeared out of the blue just on him, in that litter. One of his sons in later breedings looked identical to him, besides some new head features from crossing back into labs..

Well anyways here is a picture of my dog, to show his pattern. It's recent, and he is shedding still. In the start of winter he actaully has chow-like fur.
An example of what I am referring to, and this is NOT a Wilomn Special starting here, but suppose I went and got one of those wonderful TFH how to manuels that the big chain petstores carry, chock full of info that is NOT necessarily ACCURATE, but it does SERVE the purposes of the writer.

THE SOURCE of your information is VERY IMPORTANT, more so sometimes than the information itself. What is the AGENDA of those from whom you have gleened the facts you are finding? (again this is NOT meant for just Mike in particular but anyone doing research)

What do the authors or originators WANT you to THINK about whatever subject you are writing about or studying?

The American public is SO trained to accept as "gospel" anything that any news service says that MOST do NOT question the validity of what is put out as fact.

How many times have our recently elected and appointed officials been CAUGHT RED HANDED LYING, come out and wagged that tail, and moved on like they were the bee's knees? Too many to count is the answer.

So, when you state something as fact that you have been TOLD is fact but have NOT verified yourself, you open up not only yourself but all who believe you, to being mislead and THEN doing so to others.

Nothing personal here at all, just my own experiances leaking out.

Old 02-28-2005, 04:14 PM   #304
Karen Hulvey
I wonder if anyone on either side of the creationist/evolution theories ever stopped to think that perhaps both are correct?

Maybe a God created the universe and left it to evolve.

Old 02-28-2005, 04:28 PM   #305
Bringerofdoom
Ok, thanks for clearing that up, kinda confused me when you said "gospel". You have a point though. I normally never say anything i cannot back up, but i do fail to fully investigate the sources at times. All i do is a basic site check to make shure i'm not quoting sources that are obviously biased or un-real. I have seen some links from people who find something online read it real fast start posting to forums, thinking it was real information, when the link is a page on a tabloid website or it was a joke site.

Old 02-28-2005, 04:31 PM   #306
Wilomn
Quote:
Ok, thanks for clearing that up, kinda confused me when you said "gospel". You have a point though. I normally never say anything i cannot back up, but i do fail to fully investigate the sources at times. All i do is a basic site check to make shure i'm not quoting sources that are obviously biased or un-real. I have seen some links from people who find something online read it real fast start posting to forums, thinking it was real information, when the link is a page on a tabloid website or it was a joke site.
I did that very thing here one time.

The "gospel" thing was a joke as I do NOT believe that it is 100% truth.

Old 02-28-2005, 10:12 PM   #307
surfrkidts
my dog may not be wild, but she looks it. I'm just trying to point out the fact that christians can beleive in both god and evolution. I don't know why, but i have a system that works perfect for me. I can be religious yet still cling to my science

since i can't help it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img_0763.jpg (52.0 KB, 81 views)

Old 02-28-2005, 11:13 PM   #308
lefty_mussolini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hulvey
I wonder if anyone on either side of the creationist/evolution theories ever stopped to think that perhaps both are correct?

That's what I'm sayin'. I do not personally believe in this, but if you believe in a creator you shouldn't ignore all of the scientific evidence pertaining to evolution. I have no problem with people who believe in both, or anyone who believes in an almighty creator, but it is ignorant to say things like evolution doesn't exist, especially when there are so many examples of it all throughout the world, right down to the inside of all of our reptile enclosures.

Old 03-01-2005, 04:03 AM   #309
StinaUIUC
hmm...speaking of joke websites...the ASPCA is throwing a fit over http://www.bonsaikitty.com/ which is a complete joke website made by a group of MIT students... hmm...it appears the site is down...lol

Old 03-02-2005, 01:08 PM   #310
Ssthisto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hulvey
That's almost exactly what I do believe. That the process started somewhere, somehow, and that 'God' describes that beginning as well as anything else.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!