Animal rights groups- friend or foe of pet owners? - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

View Poll Results: Are animal rights groups friends or foes of pet owners?
Definitely friends- AR groups have had a positive impact on pet ownership. 1 1.64%
Could be both- it really depends on which organization we're speaking of. 14 22.95%
Definitely foes. Animal rights groups have had a negative impact on pet ownership. 45 73.77%
I'm not sure, or I need more information. 1 1.64%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2007, 08:57 PM   #31
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurphy
Isn't HSUS the ones backing a lot of the anti-exotic pet legislation that keeps coming up in many States?
Yes, by a membership vote in 1980 the HSUS officially converted from an animal welfare organization to an animal rights organization. However, they intentionally avoid the use of the term animal rights in order to distance themselves from the more radical groups like Peta and ALF. Instead they prefer the term "animal protectionists".
Regardless of the term used, the end goals are the same, it's merely the methods used to to reach those goals that differ.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:33 PM   #32
Stardust
I actually went and visited a lab while I was in school. I won't say where or the name for obvious reasons but I will say that I was only allowed in as I knew someone who worked there and went to school with me. Going for vet tech she kept her work place private in fact most people that work there do as it is very dangerous to them and their families if they don't. I was asked several questions before I was even allowed to enter.
The place was spotless. Although some sights I saw was hard to see I understood the need for it. The people that I talked with there believed like most who have knowledge and agreed with some forms of experimentation and not others as in make-up, deodorant ect. For that it comes down to just do not buy the product that allows animal testing. Do your homework first.
Most animals including eels were used for not only humans but animals as well. There are many medicines and procedures that are used on humans that are also used on animals, for medical purposes it is the single most way to find out what causes what and draw backs as well.
Like I said some of these animals were hard to look at but even then they got attention daily and were very friendly and wanted human affection that the workers gave. You need to remember that those people are human too and not immune to what is happening and can not totally turn their feelings off. Like anyone trying to help you have to push certain feelings aside otherwise you are not doing your job and no one is benefiting. The workers, chemists, doctors I spoke with all had animals they were fond of, down to a little mouse.
It is a job. Not a pretty one, in fact a very thankless job to downright dangerous but a job that is necessary and helps thousands of people as well as animals and I applaud all the people that keep plugging away trying to find cures or vaccines for all living creatures and the animals who instead of doing tricks for the owner is doing a service much more valuable.
I have to say I was torn about even visiting but to not do so when the opportunity arose would be like wearing blinders and not seeing. I am glad I went and learned, it is entirely too easy to talk the talk with never walking the walk and seeing for yourself, learning for yourself what good can come of it.
I wonder if any of these activists would turn down treatment for themselves or loved ones and just let them die because it was an experiment first that included an animal.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:17 AM   #33
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardust
I wonder if any of these activists would turn down treatment for themselves or loved ones and just let them die because it was an experiment first that included an animal.
Ingrid certainly won't deny herself those advances, but wants to take access to them away from everyone else.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:26 AM   #34
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus Haley
Ingrid certainly won't deny herself those advances, but wants to take access to them away from everyone else.
That's even more ironic in light of a few of the statements she's made.....

Quote:
Even if animal tests produced a cure for AIDS, "We'd be against it." (Vogue, Sept, 1989)
Quote:
"If my father had a heart attack, it would give me no solace at all to know his treatment was first tried on a dog." (Washington Post, May 30, 1989)
Quote:
"Even painless research is fascism, supremacism." Washington Magazine, Aug. 1986)
But she has no qualms about using the insulin, a treatment that originated from pigs.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:50 PM   #35
Hypancistrus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Davenport
But she has no qualms about using the insulin, a treatment that originated from pigs.
Especially when the stuff is used to keep her henchmen and women alive.

Penn & Teller BS PETA

Old 08-18-2007, 11:38 PM   #36
crotalusadamanteus
....FOE....

Old 08-18-2007, 11:46 PM   #37
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus
....FOE....
Tell us how you really feel Rick.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:00 AM   #38
crotalusadamanteus
Whack jobs! Every single one of them! From the bottom of the dung heap, to the President of PETA on the top! Not a single one, IMHO, is truly for the animals. It's merely a band wagon to jump on, just like the movie stars and their so called religion, uh....what's it called again? Scientology?

People want to support something worth while, send your money to the ASPCA, or LEGIT wildlife rescue organizations. Donate to a fund for good attorneys to go and fight for us when politicians and their PETA friends get together and come up with new regulations to govern our hobby.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:07 AM   #39
Dennis Hultman
Someone was telling me about how much they support the community and also animal rights groups. I shook my head and decide to bump this thread.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #40
Dennis Hultman
Please help!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!