So what is off topic, what is enough? - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 12-11-2005, 02:52 AM   #31
dragonflyreptiles
Sorry I just read this

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Kendergirl
On the other side (Wendy) you can't have it both ways. If there is no toleration for off topic posts, then it's shouldn't matter what the subject is. I personally like hearing from my friends about what's interesting in their life - be it their sons, or their fish. If it was a newcomer to the forum and they saw a post about Kelli's son they wouldn't like it because they do not know her as we do. You can't let the fact that you like Kelli cloud the issue - such a post would be off topic no matter how you look at it.
Shanti, I just read this in its entirety and I don't want it both ways, but in my HONEST OPINION this is a fauna forum, and the categories are set as such, there is not, Family Matters Forum, or a Let me Share my Family Forum. There are all FAUNA forums and thats its, other than:

Welcome &
Sound Off

Im sorry but children do not belong in Welcome, thats for newbies, and well they do sometimes need to be in sound off but not all the time.

Im not asking for anything to be BOTH ways, what I am ASKING for I guess if IF it IS FAUNA related ( ya know Animals, especially the animals of a particular region or period, considered as a group) that it be kept in that group.

Children are not animals and they should be allowed in any area that the poster sees fit.

Unless you Shanti feel that there is a forum for Children and our lives with them are already built into the fauna forums by catagory.

Old 12-11-2005, 04:00 AM   #32
A_Kendergirl
Since you are dragging this back up, I'll say again that I do not mind the vast majority of off-topic postings. That's what happens when you have a conversation with another person. However, some people get their knickers in a twist over off-topic postings. Children are not animals, and I never said they were (but they can act like them!), but does that make it any less off-topic?

This forum has a problem with making rules and sticking to them. All I ask for is consistency. If you tell me off-topic posting is bad and you'd better not do it or you'll get stung - then that rule should apply to all off-topic posting. The round-about route doesn't apply - just as the photos of a leo owner's kids are off-topic, so are the photos of a leo owners fish tanks. See what I'm saying?

Do I think that topics about certain animals should go in the forums created for them? Yes

Do I think that family photos are off-topic? Yes
Do I care? No - In fact, I like it.

Do I think people need to worry about silly things like this a lot less? A really big YES. There are so many things in life that are more important.

I've recently seen SO many people wanting to share their life, but because the rules change here on a daily basis, they are afraid too. I've seen a number of "Here's my family/kids/other pets I love.....but just so I don't get spanked, here's a leo to keep you happy". It's really sad that people feel that it's necessary.

Old 12-11-2005, 05:50 AM   #33
reptilebreeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflyreptiles
The fish thing just hit a nerve at the end of a hlong hard bad day and any other day probably would not have bothered me to post about it, but fish have a forum of their own and those forums like it that are not used much could get more attention if post were put there for people to view and read.
This is at least the second "complaining" type thread you have started where the reason you complained seems to be related, ie "bad day". While the threads may have been not to your standards or opinion of what is proper, I really don't see why they get under your skin enough to make whole threads about them. Report them (I wonder who reported the original thread?), or better yet, just ignore them. Really, on these days maybe you should just kick back, relax, and stay off fauna (or at least the BOI and any threads clearly marked off topic) for the day so you don't get so bunched up.

Quote:
Shanti, I just read this in its entirety and I don't want it both ways, but in my HONEST OPINION this is a fauna forum, and the categories are set as such, there is not, Family Matters Forum, or a Let me Share my Family Forum. Children are not animals and they should be allowed in any area that the poster sees fit.
I agree with Shanti, that it seems like you do want it both ways. I don't think there is a car forum here, not to mention guns, girlfriend/boyfriend, astronomy etc, etc forums, but I bet if I posted pictures of a 1973 Trans-am with a 455 HO blueprinted motor, or talked about girlfriend problems, or some other "non fauna, non forum" subject in the Leo forum, you would probably post a "complaint" thread.

Don't get me wrong, I'm by no means complaining about Kelli's family photos. In fact, I'm in the "who cares if posts go off topic, divulge too much info, "seem" superfluous," category of forum participant. If I don't like a thread.......I ignore it. If a thread is clearly marked as off topic, and it doesn't interest me....I ignore it. If a thread gets vulgar, or turns into the same two people arguing for 12 pages.......I bow out. Sometimes, if a thread is not labled properly, and it is off topic, I get a tiny bit bunched up (I'm on dial-up afterall), but not enough that I post a "not my standard" or "not proper in my opinion", thread.

Old 12-12-2005, 11:15 PM   #34
dragonflyreptiles
Shanti, I did not mean to "bring it back up" my time is limited since I have taken a serious note to the time taken from my family to be on here so so much. I read and reply to what I can when I can and that is not near as often as in the past.

See I do not think that family photos are off topic since there is no area for them as a seperate topic.

John as for the girls, cars, etc, Im pretty sure they should be in Genderal BS or Sound OFF at my best guess.

Maybe I do want it both ways and I am too blinded my my opinion of what is on or off topic to see that.

If I had known that this would go from fish need to be in the fish section and dogs in the dogs to Kelli posted pics of her son, Id never of brought it up to be honest. I think we can post pics of our kids within and thread we post on.

So I guess I am off topic of posting a pic of my daughter in mammals, not in my opinion but in the yes of others, oh well, sorry about that.

I do not know who reported the fish thread since Rich had already nicely made a comment to its correct area and received a smart assded remark about it. I found it after Rich posted and was smirked at.

Old 12-13-2005, 12:48 AM   #35
shrap
Quote:
Children are not animals....

OHHHHHHH yes they are......

Old 12-13-2005, 01:51 AM   #36
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrap
OHHHHHHH yes they are......

Well........ they are DEFINITELY mammals............

Old 12-13-2005, 10:53 AM   #37
dragonflyreptiles
lol well my Emily does admit to being a Monkey lol

Old 12-13-2005, 01:54 PM   #38
Manhattan Herps
wow, its nice to see that at least one of my posts has become famous

although i do think it is extremely immature for it to to brought up so many times by one person..after seeing what an innocent off topic post has done, i do not even want to post here anymore, some people just need to lighten up, i was sharing a photo of a fishtank with friends, it happened to be on a different forum...where i KNEW people...big deal..its not like i post off topic crap every day, hell i barely post anymore, its either i'm answring a question, or sharing pics of my geckos, its turning into some really petty BS, get over it already

Old 12-13-2005, 02:41 PM   #39
dragonflyreptiles
Dan I didn't even notice it was you that posted it until later, I tend to ship over the sig lines since I am short on time these days. I don't get to post as much as Id liek to nowadays, I have had to re evaluate some things and spend more time with my family.

And its not just your post at all, there are alot in the leo and other forums, yours just happened to be the one that got picked on I guess.

I still have your veiled

Old 12-14-2005, 04:20 PM   #40
Otter_23
Not that I care either way but I would say having received warning points for posting in the wrong forum two times prior would indicate that you just don't care to follow that particular rule.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!