My First Beardie - Page 42 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-10-2008, 10:22 PM   #411
Drache613
Hello

Hello Amber!

Toby will be so so spoiled even more! That is good you got to a good compromise about the tank! How long is he now? Do you know how much he weighs? He probably wont start filling out until the second year most likely. The first year is normally spent lengthening instead.
That is fine to wait until he is absolutely full grown, no problem. He is comfortable in his tank now so no worries!

I am so happy he is doing so well. Don't forget to renew your Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb though as the 6 month time frame is almost up.

Talk soon.
Tracie

Old 05-12-2008, 12:26 PM   #412
harmonysmom
I weigh and measure him on the 13th...I try to keep it as close to a month between each time just so I have a better understanding of how he's growing instead of confusing myself with extra dates in between, but the last time I measured him, which was April 12, he was 18 inches long (including his tail) and he weighed 9.5 oz. (269.3 grams)

It's VERY nice out today, I may take him out for a bit. Tomorrow it's supposed to be stormy again. It's been an unusually cold summer so far. We are normally looking at 80+ degrees by this time, and we've been down in the low 70's high 60's. *sigh* guess I can't complain too much though, I'm not a "hot weather" person...haha

Old 05-12-2008, 12:31 PM   #413
harmonysmom
Ohh oops...I just realized it's the 12th, and the 13th is tomorrow. Went ahead and weighed him, and no change since last month. Like I said though, this month we've had very weird weather and I think it has effected his eating habits a bit too much. HOpefully they pick up even more and he gains and grows quicker.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:30 AM   #414
Drache613
Hello

Hello Amber!

Great he is 18 inches & 269 grams. He might be longer by now though. Not bad! I hope Toby's eating improves. So did he enjoy being outside? At least he got some sun time!
I think that he will begin filling out at 1 year or afterwards, so he will really get a nice round beardie belly.
The weather does affect them greatly so now that it is summer he should really improve. Does he still want out of his tank alot to play?
He is doing great now!

Tracie

Old 05-13-2008, 08:44 AM   #415
harmonysmom
The weather hasn't warmed up like it is supposed to. The storms are worse than they have been years prior around this year......usually we don't get our really bad storms this late in the year, with the exception of one or two. They usually hit around the beginning of spring and fall. We are back down into the 60's again, so he can't go outside over the weekend either.

No, he's still only 18 inches. I measured him yesterday. And still only weighs 269 grams.

It's all because of the weird weather I guess. He refuses to even touch his food at the moment, it seems I can only entice him when there are worms, and once they are gone, he stops eating. I guess I can stock up on a whole bunch of worms, and hatch them, breed them, and feed him those for now until roach population gets up there, but I feel it isn't enough. Granted worms are good for him, but still, to only have it along with veggies as the diet. I don't know. I guess anything to get him to eat though right?

Old 05-13-2008, 10:54 AM   #416
Drache613
Hello

Hello Amber,

Well, too bad about the weather. It has been a strange year for weather with all of the late fronts.
Alot of people use superworms as staples once they get a bit older. They are easy & good sources of protein to fat ratio with a bit of chitin to help flush out the fat a little bit.
They can easily be maintained on supers & veggies & greens. The supers are very good in helping early adults such as Toby to fill out. I would not allow more than 6 or so per day, or not to exceed 35 or so per week. That really is plenty for his size. You can either feed him daily of 5-6 or just do a few bug feedings per week. Whichever is easiest or that he prefers.
At least he is eating something. When are you starting your roach colony?

Tracie

Old 05-13-2008, 10:39 PM   #417
harmonysmom
I'm not sure when I'm starting. It all depends on when or if this mother's day gift goes through or not. I got $200 of computer stuff, but the site I got it from, wants verification that you are a student, which was no problem, I supplied it. But it should have been processed by now already. It takes 7 days, and if they don't process it, your order is canceled and you either a) re-do your order or b) forget it....I'm taking the latter and using the money for Toby's new home and also for his bug fest colony start up. I do have to wait however until we have the termite guy come in. I've been killing those things left and right for a week now. I also want to bug bomb the place for spiders and what not first. But can't do it until it is warm enough for him to go outside too.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:43 AM   #418
Drache613
Hello

Hello Amber!

How's it going?
How is Toby doing today?
Oh yeah you definitely gotta get him out of there when you do a bug bomb, & at least for several hours to half a day. They are pretty strong.
The roach colony wont take all that long though, but I am sure that you will do excellent on it. Most people have good success rates with the hatchlings & all.

Tracie

Old 05-15-2008, 08:47 AM   #419
harmonysmom
He's eying up his veggies with a bit of disdain right now. haha

Tomorrow, he's going to feast. I'm making a stop to the bait shop to get a small amount of crix, then I'm preparing him fresh carrots, veggies, and fruits. I've got guests coming over to eat, so he's going to be spoiled eating outside his cage with everybody. The crix, of course, will be his appetizer until everybody is here.

Well, school is over, least until Summer classes start, and today, is my last day at work. *sigh* So not fun. The money I earn from this candle party on the 23rd is going to be added to the money I got from my school books and used to build Toby his new home. I found a small way around it. I think......I might just order one of the ones I fell in love with online instead....

Old 05-16-2008, 09:22 AM   #420
Drache613
Hello

Hello Amber!

Oh the last day of school, huh? Summerschool usually isn't too bad though, the classes are smaller anyway.
That would be helpful to use money from your old school books to go towards the tank. Sometimes you can get quite a bit back for your books, but they never pay you back the amount that you originally paid, even if the book is in perfect condition.
So Toby is going to get really spoiled with everyone being over. He will probably get a few tidbit while he is out of his tank then, running around. He will love all of the extra attention anyway. Good you still have some crickets though.

Tracie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!