Concealed Weapons Ban- should it be lifted or no? - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 03-04-2004, 09:13 PM   #51
Missymonkey
Quote:
As a wife of a police officer I am way against it
I said that ten pages ago, and I am starting to change my mind. I am still hesitant but not really against it anymore. Just not comfortable and a little scared by the idea. That's just me and my lack of experiances with CCW.

Also I guess I never saw it as the gov. taking away my rights as I didn't have them to begin with nor did I have the want to carry a gun around. So it didn't really cross my mind. I can see how all of you who have the ability and do carry concealed that it would be a threat. But for me it is like owning a tank, not something I really thought about. (ok I do say though that compairing a CCW to a tank is far stretched so don't go crazy on me)

Scott took my gun shopping the other day and showed me what he had in mind. I don't like it. It's big and screams "Hey I'm a GUN!". But whatever, it's not how it looks but how he uses it.

Old 03-24-2004, 08:03 PM   #52
bcfos
I think it should be up to the individual if the want to Pack Heat or not..

Now I quote from a great man I admire a lot "From my cold dead hands" Chuck Heston at the NRA's national convention.

Old 04-14-2004, 10:30 AM   #53
Dianne Johnson
I'm awfully late to the game on this topic, but would like to add my thoughts. Here in VA, to get your concealed weapons permit, you have to pass a background check, be fingerprinted, take a handgun safety course, and prove you have never been declared mentally unfit. I just renewed my CCW (every 5 years here) and once again had to do the criminal background check, and mental stability questionaire (both of which they'll check) in order to get my new permit. Any laws I break could be used to keep me from carrying my handgun or even owning one. If I'm convicted of a DUI in Virginia, they have the right to pull my CCW (as guns and alcohol don't mix). ANY felony conviction removes my right to not only carry, but even to own, a gun. It is in my best interest to obey the law and be a quiet citizen. I carry to protect myself, but wouldn't hesitate to help protect someone I don't even know.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned though is knowing the gun you carry. It is imperative to keep the handgun clean and serviced so that it is reliable when or if you ever need it. It is also imperative to practice with the weapon you carry. A gun you've never fired, or are afraid to fire, is useless and could even cause your death (a criminal will not hesitate to disarm you should you prove hesitant or fearful). For most of us who carry, this is an ingrained policy. We take care of our weapons because we want to be prepared in the event we ever need them. For anyone considering carrying a weapon, you need to know it backwards and forwards. You need to know how it feels to fire it and you need to be able to aim it. Knowledge is power and that will overcome fear. Most of the hype about banning CCW's, or guns in general, is from people who have no education about firearms trying to prevent those of us who do from having them. Their fear and ignorance is not justification for removing my rights.

Missy, you said:
Quote:
Scott took my gun shopping the other day and showed me what he had in mind. I don't like it. It's big and screams "Hey I'm a GUN!".
One of the things I still remember that my instructor said was don't carry anything that doesn't have stopping power. He said he didn't recommend anyone carrying anything less than a 38 for revolvers or a 9mm for semi-automatics. The reason is that they both have enough power behind them to stop someone even if they are high on drugs or just plain determined. For myself, I carry a short barrelled 357 revolver most of the time. If I'm on my motorcycle, I carry a 44 Magnum derringer that fits in my jacket pocket because the 357 is too bulky and obvious. In both cases, I've researched the weapon in regards to use for personal defense, I've researched the amunition I use in both (one with the most stopping power but still unlikely to go through a criminal and harm bystanders), and I've fired both hundreds of times to become comfortable with the feel of the weapon when firing and to know my own abilities and limitations in regards to hitting a target. Everyone I know who carries concealed does the exact same thing. While the average citizen may or may not know about handgun safety or how to fire a handgun, you can almost certainly guarantee that someone with a CCW does.

And lastly, regarding this quote:
Quote:
I think that as thorough as the background checks may be, some people who should not be allowed to obtain a permit will find a way to beat the system.
These would be the people who wouldn't abide by the laws anyway in most cases. CCW's are for law abiding citizens who wish to carry. The reality is that whether a community has a CCW provision or not, the people in the quote above will have weapons regardless.

Dianne

Old 04-14-2004, 10:49 AM   #54
WebSlave
Quote:
If I'm on my motorcycle, I carry a 44 Magnum derringer ....
Holy granola bars! I would be scared to death to shoot that thing! Holding onto a 3 inch Smith & Wesson 629 can be tough enough to do! That's GOTTA hurt to shoot....

Old 04-14-2004, 12:46 PM   #55
Dianne Johnson
Actually it's pretty sweet. It's made by a company called Bond Arms (my model is the Texas Defender) and is pretty stout and well balanced. The kick is about the same as hitting your palm with a rubber mallet. I wouldn't recommend running more than around a dozen rounds (holds 2 rounds) through it consecutively at one sitting though. Much more than that and you'll really start to feel it. It's got a 3 inch barrell and a curved wooden grip that comfortably fits the palm. The only thing I would change would be to make it a double-action versus single-action. My other half and I really researched the derringer options out there before deciding on these for our use while riding. There are a couple of others out there, but of those I've seen in person, they don't look or feel near as substantial and I would be concerned with firing them (either a backfire or the barrell failing during firing). I also like that my model offers a trigger guard whereas many derringers simply have an exposed trigger. These also have a safety, which many derringers do not. Here's a link, if you'd like to take a look at one: Bond Arms .

Of the few weapons I have, the one that kicks the worst is my Ruger Super Blackhawk. It's also a 44 Magnum. After running a dozen rounds (it's a classic old west 6 shooter, single action, 8 inch barrell), I would really start to feel it when I still had the original wood Old West grips. I broke down and bought some high quality rubber grips and they made all the difference in the world. I'll usually run through a box of bullets or more with it before I call it a day. Even with my Rossi 357 (which is a dream to shoot, next to no kick considering the caliber and a very sweet pistol to boot IMHO), I'll run a box or two of bullets through it on any given shooting day. Yeah, I'm into target practice...plus I think it's good to keep yourself familiar with your weapon, as I mentioned above.

Dianne

Old 04-14-2004, 02:43 PM   #56
Glenn Bartley
Dianne,

Have you contacted Bond Arms about their homepage showing a derringer blasting a snake? What's up with that picture?

Best regards,
GB

Old 04-14-2004, 03:55 PM   #57
Dianne Johnson
Hmmmm. That must be new. No, I haven't contacted them about it...but I will. I didn't even look at the page when I pulled it up on Google to get the link. I've had my derringer for 2-3 years now, so haven't really gone back to the site since my purchase. Looks like it's time to, though.

Thanks for the heads up.

Dianne

Old 04-21-2004, 12:53 PM   #58
Sand&SunReptile
My 2 cents.

I think the concealed weapons ban should stay in place. Who knows how many crazy lunatics will be running around flailing guns and knives around eh?
Mike Fortier
P.S. there are already enough people I'd rather not meet in a dark alley, forget if they all got knives and guns.

Old 04-21-2004, 01:05 PM   #59
Darin Chappell
By all means ... keep the ban in place. After all, it is scientifically proveable that crazy lunatics ALWAYS follow the letter of the law!

Good to see a voice from the People's Republic of Massachusetts being represented. Welcome aboard!

Old 04-21-2004, 01:19 PM   #60
Ken Harbart
Re: My 2 cents.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sand&SunReptile
I think the concealed weapons ban should stay in place. Who knows how many crazy lunatics will be running around flailing guns and knives around eh?
Mike Fortier
P.S. there are already enough people I'd rather not meet in a dark alley, forget if they all got knives and guns.
We're not talking about crazy lunatics here. Crazy lunatics abd criminals could give a rat's ass what the law says.

CCW bans don't make anyone safer, except for the criminals. Cops aren't safer, nor are the sheeple.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!