Sub sahara ball python - Page 7 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-02-2013, 03:30 AM   #61
amos1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAceD View Post
Just out of curiosity ...

Has anyone considered that the larger heads on these WC "Sub Saharans" have more to do with frequency of feeding of BPs in captivity rather than their genetics?

I only ask because in boa constrictors, a boa fed too frequently will grow disproportionately in a manner that its head will be disproportionately small in comparison to the rest of his body. Because of the shape of BPs, this would be more difficult to notice, I believe. Still ... is it possible that the frequency people feed BPs to get them up to breeding size as quickly as possible contribute to their heads being smaller than these WC counterparts?

I'll admit, I have minimal knowledge on BPs in this regard, but reading the comments about these mature females pulled from the wild with larger than what is considered normal heads just had me wondering.
I think you just hit the nail on the head with that one...

Old 04-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #62
ClarkT
Thanks for the ideas.
Do you use a fresh killed rat or mouse? Do you just lay it next to her? Does yours hiss a lot? Mine sure does, but she never strikes. I sure enjoy her and hope to get her eating soon.

That's an interesting thought on head size. hmmm......

Old 04-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #63
P&A Pythons
Mine hisses a lot no strikes as well. I just toss it in leave overnight. Do not disturb I stay out the room rest of night. Took me 3- 4 times trying before she took u can try a mouse then move to a rat. I started with fresh kill asf rat then she took. 4 days later I tossed in a fresh kill rat and she took

Old 04-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #64
irishanaconda
little update on mine, she laid 13 eggs but 3 were slugs.
http://youtu.be/vyiRgFyuI6w

Old 04-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #65
snakesRkewl
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAceD View Post
Just out of curiosity ...

Has anyone considered that the larger heads on these WC "Sub Saharans" have more to do with frequency of feeding of BPs in captivity rather than their genetics?

I only ask because in boa constrictors, a boa fed too frequently will grow disproportionately in a manner that its head will be disproportionately small in comparison to the rest of his body. Because of the shape of BPs, this would be more difficult to notice, I believe. Still ... is it possible that the frequency people feed BPs to get them up to breeding size as quickly as possible contribute to their heads being smaller than these WC counterparts?

I'll admit, I have minimal knowledge on BPs in this regard, but reading the comments about these mature females pulled from the wild with larger than what is considered normal heads just had me wondering.
Interesting theory, I have heard that but that hasn't been the case with my fastest growing females.
I have an 08 that is 3000 grams and has a nice large head, same with my 09 that is well over 2000 grams.

Admittedly my group isn't enough to say no, but I highly doubt that theory from my own experiences raising females to large adults.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:08 AM   #66
ClarkT
I hatched out 4.2 babies from my Volta/Sub saharan today!

Old 04-24-2013, 01:31 AM   #67
Kingofspades
Any day now she is going to pop...and she gave me 12 last season.
I am guessing at least 14 this year. We'll see.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:48 AM   #68
ClarkT
Nice! What did you breed her to this year?

Old 04-24-2013, 01:49 AM   #69
Kingofspades
Fire and enchi.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #70
P&A Pythons
She looks very uncomfortable and irritable.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!