Fla Fish And Wildlife - Page 9 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 08-25-2005, 09:45 PM   #81
Jungle Gems
Karen,

Thanks for your tidbit of info, and I'm glad you're one of only a few individuals who are able to see the Salmonella hype for what it's worth. It seems the medical profession is not immune to ignorance (ipse dixit). Since when has Salmonella, a gram negative ENTERIC rod, *ever* been passed in utero?! It's amazing that Toxoplasma gondii (a true hazard to unborn fetuses) gets little media attention and pregnant women STILL clean litter boxes without consequence, while in the meantime we are warned of the "inevitable" consequences of exposure to Salmonella, a bacteria commonly harbored enterically by many living creatures other than reptiles. Honestly.

Old 08-25-2005, 10:11 PM   #82
Karen Hulvey
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
Needless to say they did not pet the Komodos, but they all laid their hands on the bars of the enclosure as they lean to watch.
And whose fault is it when people do not practice proper handwashing techniques? It's not the zoo's fault. I wish people would take responsibility for their own actions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleGems
It's amazing that Toxoplasma gondii (a true hazard to unborn fetuses) gets little media attention and pregnant women STILL clean litter boxes without consequence, while in the meantime we are warned of the "inevitable" consequences of exposure to Salmonella, a bacteria commonly harbored enterically by many living creatures other than reptiles.
I type for several doctors, some of them OB/GYNs and I've typed the old "don't clean the litter box" a thousand times and even "get rid of the cat" about 30 times. But they have yet to tell people that they can get toxoplasmosis from raw or undercooked meat such as venison, pork and lamb.

Maybe I shouldn't complain. Those ladies who "had" to get rid of their snakes because they were going to transmit salmonella to their unborn children gave me their snakes. They were nice ones too.

Old 08-25-2005, 10:44 PM   #83
Jungle Gems
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hulvey
Maybe I shouldn't complain. Those ladies who "had" to get rid of their snakes because they were going to transmit salmonella to their unborn children gave me their snakes. They were nice ones too.
At least I can take comfort in knowing that ignorance bred something useful... that the snakes you now care for are in better, more knowlegdeable hands than they were in times previous.

Old 08-25-2005, 11:00 PM   #84
The BoidSmith
Quote:
And whose fault is it when people do not practice proper handwashing techniques? It's not the zoo's fault. I wish people would take responsibility for their own actions.
Exactly! It’s a matter of educating the public. The following graph was reported by the Center for Disease Control. Of course reptiles are always on the news but...
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2005, 11:27 PM   #85
The BoidSmith
The CDC has based their concern partly in research published in Sweden. Note that the greatest incidence for turtle associated salmonellosis was in children between ages 1-4 (roughly 0.6 per 100,000 children) and ages 1-9 where 1 boy per 100,000 was affected. Girls in that age group were nearly half as much affected.
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2005, 02:58 AM   #86
Junkyard
We are having problems here with a certain animal shelter. They have no problems euthanizing animals. We are on their permenant list of who to call first when it comes to a reptile that they get in. If no one takes it in three days they will call us or put it down. They have no patience for reptiles("they carry salmonella") and they are all aggressive(even if they are not). If a dog or cat comes in it will be held until adopted, unless it is too aggressive. This is the animal control!

Bringing this on topic, this is how reptiles are seen in the eyes of animal shelters and their officers down here. We are on the inside of this certain shelter and there is only one person(an officer) who is willing to touch a reptile to get it in or out of the cage and that is it. He personally hates touching them. They do not know the proper care of the animals they get in, we pick them up and they are in the worst cage and conditions. Iguanas are put in bird cages, the bottom of the cage under the bars is full of feces and urine. It does not matter to them because it will be put down tomorrow anyway. This is the animal control! At least at this shelter they have no idea what they are doing when it comes to reptiles, I cannot speak for all of them.

If they see a snake in the worst conditions and they confiscate it, they will not prosecute for animal cruelty(I know this firsthand from a 9 foot boa that was just rescued that was not cared for at all and needed immediate vet help(she is doing great now))their excuse was "it is different when it comes to snakes" response "WHAT!?!?!?!?!.....WHY?" no answer.

In all reality I have no problems with F/W being at a reptile show, my concern is if they truly know the proper care of the reptiles they see. They need to be fair honest to all the vendors, as far as out of towner's it seemed that they were harder on them because they could get away with it. If they are checking for illegal sales, no permits, illegal animals, or see a dwarf albino het for triple stripe spider crossed chimpanzee in a rubbermaid converted cage, than good for them.

Old 08-26-2005, 08:30 AM   #87
The BoidSmith
Quote:
If they see a snake in the worst conditions and they confiscate it, they will not prosecute for animal cruelty(I know this firsthand from a 9 foot boa that was just rescued that was not cared for at all and needed immediate vet help(she is doing great now))their excuse was "it is different when it comes to snakes" response "WHAT!?!?!?!?!.....WHY?" no answer.
Let’s face it Salmonella is just their “escape goat” to justify their irrational and innate fear of reptiles. Most people have this fear, and because they work for F&W that doesn’t mean they necessarily love all creatures great and small. Not everyone will enjoy the same things we do, but at least what we should expect from them is to let us enjoy what we like, within reason and respect for the law.

Regards.

Old 08-26-2005, 09:20 AM   #88
LotsaPetsGarfHt
Salmonella is a very real concern.

Look at the graphs, where import restrictions were lifted. I stated in an earlier post that that law wasn't worth the time it took to write, my reasoning was they have not done anything about poultry, eggs and other meats carrying it. I'm old enough that I can say I had many "baby turtles" and can't say that I ever got sick because of them. I do know that many times the condititions they were kept in at the store and in their little bowl with the palm tree were not good. I also remember seeing them with "painted shells" I'm sure that wasn't good for them either. There had to have been a real problem somewhere to bring about the law back then. I have to say this because it was before the BUNNY HUGGERS surfaced, and they just didn't decide to ban baby turtles for the hell of it.

BTW when I had my visit involving the ANIMAL PROTECTIVE LEAGUE a couple of weeks ago, he asked me if I'd "haven't you ever heard of Psittacosis and Salmonella". I suspect he must be an expert because he asked me that question then continued on into another rant. I've had BOTH! I'm sure I've had Salmonella, and I KNOW I had Psittacosis back when I worked for a wholesaler and Imported Birds were still available (the best thing they ever did was stop the importation of birds in my opinion), and I can tell you that I got it from a group of imported baby Ghanna African Grey Parrots. I had the responsibility of cleaning, feeding, watering, and giving them their meds via daily injections. I guess my point is they must have had a valid reason to stop the sale of baby turtles, and imported birds, but they can't fully protect us from either disease since other animals and/or products can also make us sick and they have done little else to protect us from them.

Permit systems should be fought tooth and nail, it is usually only the beginning. I was not aware of the issue here in Ohio until just before it went into effect, and I recieved the information it the mail. I CAREFULLY read the information, faxed it to my Lawyer, and asked his opinion. His response was "don't get the permit", "much of the information in this brochure is too vague and and open to interpetation", "the paperwork requirements are and inspection policies are unreasonable in my opinion". I had noticed that in more than one paragraph if you read a sentance one way it ment one thing but it could be read another way to mean something entirely different, "open to Interpetation". I called the office in Akron Ohio and asked several questions, didn't get any answers and was refered to our local enforcement agent. At the time I had an albino black rat snake. I asked him it the permit system applied to it since it was NOT commenly found in the wild, I was told "I don't know but I'll find out". MANY other people contacted their local enforcement agents and asked the same thing, most were told the law DID NOT apply to color morphs. I was told it applied to "ALL black rat snakes reguardless of color, and that a black rat snake was a black rat snake no matter what color it is". I may have been the only person given the correct information. If I had known about these laws and permit system while it was in the works I would have tried to fight it, not that I'm a fan of selling reptiles that are native to Ohio, but I know it is just the beginning. I would really like to have some Fox Snakes, but I probably never will.

You can bet that next year in DAYTONA, breeding records and/or reciepts will be needed along with your "permit" to display and sell animals, since they have already started to ask for them.

Old 08-26-2005, 09:27 AM   #89
lizfortune
Here's my .02...

Based on the info. I read during this thread (and I definitely could have missed something crucial as I did not have time to read every thread), the packets had warning information included with them as well as (I believe) they have been warning people at least the last show (or maybe two) to be in compliance.

However, I also believe taking somebody to jail for a petty offense is overkill and completely inappropriate! I am also a previous cop and, if those guys were on our department, they would have been ridiculed for "jailing" somebody for such a stupid and petty offense.

BTW- Morti, do you still have any of those tiger ratsnakes? I have a collection, but would enjoy getting some that I don't already have. Email me at: Alisaalicia04@aol.com

Good luck everybody!
Brian Aish

Old 08-26-2005, 11:07 AM   #90
KNOBTAIL
the original intent of "breeding and receipt" were

really intended for instate stores. It was designed to insure that anyone (within the state of Fla )selling to a retail operation was in compliance themselves with their own permit. So if someone came into the store, without a permit, the store legally could not purchase that animal unless the seller had a permit. If the animal in question was bred in the store than simple records would suffice.

Prior to this , the state of Fla was loosing allot of revenue to individuals who would purchase animals, and go into their own little weekend business and sell without having any permits themselves, nor any interest in getting one. This compliance brings in allot of revenue.

This same philosophy apparently was carried over to the vendors who were out of state as well. This is where some clarification is required. I dont believe that the state of Fla when issuing a permit for 2 days at a gathering such as Daytona, has the legal authority to include out of state vendors , when the permit is a temporary one, issued for a specific event, and complies with all the necessary paperwork for acceptance.

This is a perfect example of an interpetation gone mad. Why the state of Fla should be SO concerned about a 48 hour permit that would require that type of incarceration has to be litigated. If these officials are allowed to continue, without any recourse from the herp community, then next year it will be confiscation! That you can take to the bank !!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!