Giant Day Gecko Heat and Plant Questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-03-2020, 07:53 PM   #1
sstephenson
Giant Day Gecko Heat and Plant Questions

I'm putting together a heavily planted vivarium for my first pair of Giant Day Geckos. It'll be an Eco Terra 36" x 18" x 36" with a Zilla Pro Sol w/ Timer light fixture containing 3 LED plant growth lamps, a UVB compact fluorescent light, a 50 watt halogen daylight lamp and a 25 watt halogen red lamp. I have two questions:

1) Do I need bottom heat on my vivarium? I plan to maintain a 95 deg basking spot, but I was wondering if a thermostatically controlled heat mat beneath the vivarium maintained at around 75 deg would be a good idea. My house can drop down to the low 60s at night during the winter. I know that Day Geckos spend little or no time on the substrate, but I thought this would be a good way to maintain a 75 deg to 95 deg gradient.

2) If I give my plants purchased from local nurseries and home improvement stores a good flushing, is that sufficient to remove any pesticides and fertilizers? I've seen some recommend completely washing the soil from the roots and replacing it with new soil, but this seems extreme to me.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Old 02-26-2020, 10:03 PM   #2
TSAdams
Question 1- I do not think you need any bottom heat, a cool down could be beneficial .
Question 2- I would not be concerned about the plants or the dirt beyond a good flushing.

Good luck!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!