My Hatchling wont eat please help!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
SheaRC05
My Hatchling wont eat please help!!!

Okay. I got her about a week ago. And she is about two weeks old according to tbe breeder No eating or shed . So i waited three days after letting her get compfy. All temps are corrects. But she will not eat. No live no frozen. No fuzzie no pinky . I even tried a tiny frog. I tried all the flavoring options and brianing. But she is not interested. She is however drinking her water and loves laying in her water bowl. She does seem pretty small compared to other hatchlings.... pleeeease help me!
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheaRC05 View Post
Okay. I got her about a week ago. And she is about two weeks old according to tbe breeder No eating or shed . So i waited three days after letting her get compfy. All temps are corrects. But she will not eat. No live no frozen. No fuzzie no pinky . I even tried a tiny frog. I tried all the flavoring options and brianing. But she is not interested. She is however drinking her water and loves laying in her water bowl. She does seem pretty small compared to other hatchlings.... pleeeease help me!
You may get more assistance if instead of telling us "temps are correct," you explained your setups, and what devices are used to monitor those set ups and included some pictures.

But, just in case you do know what you are talking about; I'll ignore the lack of visual assistance (don't take this the wrong way...I'm focused more on providing assistance in words familiar to me, than on finding words that also won't offend)...holding the animal is not conductive to getting it to eat.

I would leave it totally alone in the APPROPRIATE (this is where pictures would have helped) environment until it did start eating. This means, you will know (sort of a barometer) when the snake is ready to be handled...when it's comfortable enough to start eating...that is lacking any physical issue (health) that would cause it to go off feed.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
SheaRC05
I couldnt get her to stay still enough for the photo
But thats the only time she has been handled. I keep her in a plastic tub. With a heat pad. Ill write the exact temps and humidity when i get back home.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheaRC05 View Post
Okay. I got her about a week ago. <snip> . No live no frozen. No fuzzie no pinky . I even tried a tiny frog. I tried all the flavoring options and brianing. But she is not interested.
You've only had her a week and already tried all those things? You are trying too many things too quickly, it will only further stress the snake out IMO.

Also, you mentioned it hadn't shed yet, some babies will not eat until after their first shed. When you do try offering food, offer it one way, if there is no interest, give her 3 days of rest and solitude before trying to offer again. Just my advice, good luck, I hope she starts eatting for you!

Old 05-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
SheaRC05
Ill try any advise i get. Ill leave her be. Hopefully she sheds soon. I get a little worried to soon. I do it with my geckos too.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
deborahbroadus
This is why I've pushed off possible buyers for a non-eater that I have. I can't imagine selling a newcomer a snake that is not an established eater, yet. It is distressing for both the snake and buyer.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
gsrept
Frog??? Anyway crumple up newspaper and put in enclosure or tub makes them feel mo secure this usually does the trick. and stop handling and looking in all the time you are stresing it out

Old 05-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
radera5
I agree. Totally leave it alone= forget about it for a week or so. Even the slightest peek will put them back at square one. Definitely wait a good 3 days between offerings.
The crumbled up newspaper trick has worked well for me before.

You have to be careful with heat pads. Is the heat pad hooked up to a thermometer? If so, what type? How big is the tub you have it in? Does it have a hide? Or two?

At this point I would crumble up newspaper, enough to pretty much fill it's tub. I would also get it's water bowl and fill it up with fresh water to put in while you add the newspaper, then wait. The longer the better essentially. (Within reason)

Good luck

Old 05-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #9
Kingofspades
Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahbroadus View Post
This is why I've pushed off possible buyers for a non-eater that I have. I can't imagine selling a newcomer a snake that is not an established eater, yet. It is distressing for both the snake and buyer.
Agreed. I don't sell until they have at least 2 meals down, or the person requests that I don't start it feeding because they are experienced.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
Willow
At only 2 weeks old, its very common for her not to be eating yet. As has already been stated, MOST ball pythons babies will eat after their very first shed is done. That can be a month after they hatch.

Wait till the baby has shed, give it a day after shed and then place a very small rat or mouse pinky into the enclosure, leave the live pinky in the enclosure over night. Do not peek, just leave it till the next day. If the snake hasn't eaten, try again after 3 days of solitude for the snake.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!