Can you use birdseed as a substrate? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-09-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
~Just Curious~
Question Can you use birdseed as a substrate?

Currently I use aspen shavings. I just have a single woma python at the moment, but I'm getting a pair of gophers soon and that's adding two more tanks. All three tanks are 4' x 2' and that's a lot of shavings when I think about how much it costs.
Currently a bag of aspen shavings that I buy is $20 and will only cover two tanks thinly. I can buy a HUGE bag of birdseed at Walmart for just $7.

Somewhere when I was browsing online I stumbled upon somebody advocating the use of birdseed as substrate because it's cheaper and if they accidently ingest some then they'll just digest it without impaction. I'm pretty sure they were talking about some kind of lizard so I don't know if this applies to snakes as well.

If I was to buy birdseed then I think maybe one with small seeds such as millet might even simulate sand. Pic http://img.search.com/thumb/4/43/Pea...harvesting.jpg That's nice because I'm pretty sure womas normally live in sand. What about pacific gopher snakes, not so much?
Maybe I'd only use it for the woma if it even does work out...

So my questions - would this work? Is it true that if they were to ingest some it wouldn't cause impaction? or is that just for some lizards?
Have you ever heard of this before? What do you think yay or nay?

If it's not the best then I'll just stick to aspen. Thought I'd ask though~
THANK YOU!

Old 02-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #2
TheFragginDragon
Probably not a good idea, as when it gets wet with spilled water, feces, or urates (and it will happen), it would become a moldy mess in short order.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:03 PM   #3
~Just Curious~
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFragginDragon View Post
Probably not a good idea, as when it gets wet with spilled water, feces, or urates (and it will happen), it would become a moldy mess in short order.
You're completely right! I did some more digging and found out how many problems there are with it. I'll just stick to aspen!

THANKS!

Old 02-09-2011, 06:10 PM   #4
TheFragginDragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Just Curious~ View Post
You're completely right! I did some more digging and found out how many problems there are with it. I'll just stick to aspen!

THANKS!
Glad to help!!

Old 02-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
Utta
Quote:
BIO-shield prevents this from happening, so in theory it could work i suppose.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:11 PM   #6
TheFragginDragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utta View Post
BIO-shield prevents this from happening, so in theory it could work i suppose.
It may stop mold from growing on the cage walls, but IMHO I don't think it would stop it from growing on the seed substrate itself though.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #7
JordanAng420
Quote:
It may stop mold from growing on the cage walls, but IMHO I don't think it would stop it from growing on the seed substrate itself though.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:25 PM   #8
Utta
Quote:
didnt think of that, so ill have to agree with your previous statement. thanks John!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!