Dinker finally getting serious with breeding! Input requested. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-12-2014, 08:26 PM   #1
snowgyre
Dinker finally getting serious with breeding! Input requested.

I bought this really dark, unusual male as a captive hatched animal three years ago. He's been a real finicky eater and a slow grower. I tried breeding him last year, but he only locked with one female and then seemed to give up. This year he's already locked three times with my female mojave, so I've got high hopes to finally get some babies!

I'm thinking he might be in the blue-eyed leucistic complex, maybe a new line of phantom or mystic? Anybody have any ideas? I'm only breeding him to a female mojave this year, mainly so I'm not overrun with babies I need to hold back in case he turns out to be recessive.
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2014, 09:19 PM   #2
Dbz4246
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
I'm only breeding him to a female mojave this year, mainly so I'm not overrun with babies I need to hold back in case he turns out to be recessive.
Good plan? Great plan!

Mojave looks to be a good way to go, I would also use a darker morph like Cinnie, possibly black pastel.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:24 AM   #3
ClarkT
He looks a lot like a mystic. Great choice with the mojave.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #4
snowgyre
Thanks guys!

Jessie, I was thinking about the black pastel option too. Another buddy of mine even suggested he might be in the yellowbelly complex. I do have a cinnamon female but I think I'm going to give her a break this year. I still have a lot of 2014s I need to sell, and I want to keep production low this year (I've actually only got two pairings planned for this year, and both are dinker projects). Figure I'll give her this year off and then, depending upon what happens with this clutch, I may pair him to her next year. I don't currently have a yellowbelly female I can put him to.

Clark, thanks! That was my thinking too. He's actually gotten darker as he aged.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:36 PM   #5
snowgyre
Some good news! Just got five good eggs from this pairing on Friday last week. They're due to hatch in the beginning of June. I decided not to pair him to my female cinnamon 100% het orange ghost for now. If something interesting comes out of this mojave pairing I might pair him with the cinnamon next year.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2015, 09:00 PM   #6
Dbz4246
Thats awesome Congrats! Really hope you get good odds. All my dinkers aren't gonna be ready for at least another year if not longer.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:18 AM   #7
Pasodama
Congrats on the eggs!
Will be interesting to see what you get out of them.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:03 PM   #8
niki.penta
Congrats! My mojave girl has a similar "coat hanger" shape on her back, like your male. Good luck with your clutch!

Old 04-13-2015, 07:26 PM   #9
snowgyre
Hi Niki, welcome to Fauna! I noticed it was your first post. Consider me honored that you gave me your first Fauna post!

That is a very pretty mojave you've got there! I see she's got a couple of neat j-hooks going on. Thank you for wishing me good luck with my clutch too. The male was a really slow grower, but I'm a hobbyist so I don't mind waiting. He's actually three years old and only 600 grams. He refuses to eat anything other than live mice and goes off feed fairly regularly. Frustrating to say the least! But at least now I'll get some nice captive bred babies from him. I've got three captive hatched animals in my collection (all dinkers) and they're all a bit wishy washy about feeding.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:06 PM   #10
Helen Lampinen
I have this female dinker. I'm sure she'll prove out too.

I got a girl from Major League Reptiles. She looks just like yours!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!