Breeding Newbie asking some questions (we all have to start somewhere!) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-14-2009, 11:41 PM   #1
redtailboa12
Breeding Newbie asking some questions (we all have to start somewhere!)

Hey,
So I have a 6 foot, 04 white group pastel female from Jesse Van Atta (great guy btw). I was debating breeding her once just for the experience, but I have only owned snakes as pets my entire life. If someone can point me in the right direction to a really good book that could help me, or even give me some pointers here that would be great. I know about the cooling process, separating the mother after she is done resting from birth, ect. I am looking for a nice male under $400 to breed her with and then keep as a pet. I know a little about genetics, I love the albino coloration, but was wondering if 100% het for albino babies would sell. Again, I am kinda just starting out and dont want 10 or more babies that nobody wants. Thanks!

Ashley

Pic of my baby:

Her as a neonate

Old 04-15-2009, 02:05 AM   #2
Randall Turner
She is a beauty, Jesse has a sweet bunch of animals, as your girl attests too. Regarding good reading material. Honestly you won't find anything more accurate then the stuff in the Boa Manual (haven't seen that around though in awhile). You can find Jeff Ronnes breeding information on his site www.theboaphile.com it is accurate (haven't looked at it in probably 7 or so years). Here is the link directly to it http://www.theboaphile.com/article.html

As far as a male to pick, go with what you want, 100% hets won't sell for much, but you should be able to move them fairly easily, even if it means wholesaling the entire group.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:26 AM   #3
suzuki4life
A hypo male might make some nice babies...

Old 04-15-2009, 06:35 AM   #4
crotalusadamanteus
Boa Breeding, Theory and Practice By Gus Rentfro, Rio Bravo Reptiles

More reading on the subject.

Best to read all you can on it, as opinions will differ. For an example, I do not cool my Boas, and they breed just fine. These practices and techniques people use differ may differ according to your geographic location. You may end up trying different things until you find what works for you.

IMO, you follow these rules. Make sure your female is healthy, not fat. Make sure she is mature, and not just grown fast. (Size and maturity are not the same thing) Put the male in, and let nature do, what nature programmed them to do. Keep her warm after he's done his thing and been removed, and keep her water FRESH! She'll need it.

Some people who have been doing it a while, do not share this luck, and don't get litters if they don't cool. I don't know why exactly, except maybe their geography. So absorb all you can, because the first attempt may not work, and you might have to change a few things the next time.

Good luck.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
BryonsBoas
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
Boa Breeding, Theory and Practice By Gus Rentfro, Rio Bravo Reptiles

More reading on the subject.

Best to read all you can on it, as opinions will differ. For an example, I do not cool my Boas, and they breed just fine. These practices and techniques people use differ may differ according to your geographic location. You may end up trying different things until you find what works for you.

IMO, you follow these rules. Make sure your female is healthy, not fat. Make sure she is mature, and not just grown fast. (Size and maturity are not the same thing) Put the male in, and let nature do, what nature programmed them to do. Keep her warm after he's done his thing and been removed, and keep her water FRESH! She'll need it.

Some people who have been doing it a while, do not share this luck, and don't get litters if they don't cool. I don't know why exactly, except maybe their geography. So absorb all you can, because the first attempt may not work, and you might have to change a few things the next time.

Good luck.
Agreed.
I've tried breeding without turning off the heat but it ain't happening. As long as my heat is turned off for at least a few hours a night, mine will breed like crazy.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
redtailboa12
Wow, thanks for everyone's help!

She is 'mature' as far as I know, I haven't ever powerfed her and she is really nice and muscular. Are they any noticeable differences to tell if she is mature?

And if I get a male, could I keep him with the female and just feed them separately? I am somewhat strapped for space, but if it will hurt my girl then I wouldn't keep them together.

How much would 100% albino hets sell for? I just basically want to break even on any new costs of caging for the male, or even recount the cost of the male. I also just don't want a million babies that don't sell and I have to keep the rest of their lives.

What would be a good morph to breed her to? (I will go up to $500 for a male)

Do you NEED to buy an expensive rack for the babies? Again I'm not looking to get into a business, just breed a litter.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
hhmoore
If you are only going to do it once, I wouldn't choose the expensive route for housing the babies. Albino boas are pretty cheap now, so the marketability of hets is down. Add in the fact that there is a lot of competition, and you aren't an established breeder; and you'll probably either be sitting on them for a while, or selling them dirt cheap (maybe even both, depending on your approach). As has been mentioned, given your stated goals, you would probably be better off planning to wholesale the babies as a group or in lots. The price per boa won't be much, but they're gone...and you don't have to house, feed, clean, and try to sell them individually.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:16 PM   #8
redtailboa12
That makes sense - so how would I find a wholesale buyer? I don't want to like, sell them to a pet store, but I would want to sell them to a good reputable buyer. And if I go wholesale, would I still be able to break even on costs? I would love to breed, but I do not have money to just throw away. Unless there is another morph I could get (or is there such things as a 'stud' boa?). Thanks again for helping!

Old 04-15-2009, 04:36 PM   #9
Randall Turner
You can find people to do breeding loans with, but imo they all too often result in headaches more then positives. You can find wholesale buyers fairly easily, putting up an ad if/when you produce neos that you have lots for sale and they will find you and then you can use the boi to decide whether they are someone you want to sell to.

Regarding breaking even or not, that depends on the quality of the offspring (nicer parents usually result in nicer neos, but sometimes it doesn't work out and you can end up with a bunch of ugly babies.) It is a crap shoot to break even in the hobby let alone end up with a profit. Gotta go with the mindset that you are willing to eat the cost regardless, to begin.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:51 AM   #10
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtailboa12 View Post
She is 'mature' as far as I know, I haven't ever powerfed her and she is really nice and muscular. Are they any noticeable differences to tell if she is mature?
You said she's an '04, that's your best indicator that she's a mature adult. Anything over 4 years old is of an appropriate breeding age, as long as she's healthy. Some would say 3 years of age is good, and some have had success at 3. To me, that's the "teen" age, and although they can breed at 3, so can a 14 yr old girl. But she probably shouldn't be.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
boa constrictor, breeding, genetics, red tail