What to do? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #11
RustyNuts
Have you thought about the chances that this one's illness and this boa's death two weeks ago are related? Any new information on the death?

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=224181

Old 02-14-2011, 08:46 AM   #12
mxracer4life
My brother does not own any snakes. He just has always helped me take care of mine, for around 9 years now.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #13
mxracer4life
I just received a call and he has a fracture behind the head which is limiting his movement. The vet also mentioned to me that the no pest trip I have in my snake room isn't helping matters. Being a wooden cage I have always left a small strip inside cage out of contact with snake. Tonight ALL no-pest strips will be removed. After finding out about his fracture and talking to my brother, he claims his hide dropped on him but he looked him over and there wasn't an issue. I tell ya, this is the last time I leave for vacation! The month of January was just great!

Old 02-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #14
TheFragginDragon
Damn man....what's the vet's prognosis on the fracture healing OK?

Old 02-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #15
mxracer4life
What we are trying to decide right now is if it can heal properly. I would baisically have to feed him carnivore diet through a tube. The vet is recommending he be put down as he cannot thermoregulate properly. He can only move his head and parts of his body. He can roll but not move foreward/backward. My hear was broken today.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:45 PM   #16
TheFragginDragon
I am truly sorry that you have to make that decision Jeremy....

I'm not sure how I would have reacted to the admission your bro made after the fact if I were in your shoes....

Old 02-14-2011, 12:45 PM   #17
hhmoore
Quote:
I'm not sure how I would have reacted to the admission your bro made after the fact if I were in your shoes....
I mean no offense, but my reaction would have been doubt. But, then again, I don't know what you use for a hide (the little wink doesn't show up very well, it was a sad attempt at levity)

Did you, or your brother, physically restrain the snake in the recent past (meaning hold it behind the head & try to control it)? While most snakes aren't fond of being grabbed behind the head, blood pythons (and rattlesnakes) can suffer broken necks if the handler isn't careful. (I suppose, in reality, that it can happen to other snakes as well; but, because of they way they are built, and the way they twist that mass, the risk is greater with the "short" bulky ones. Sometimes, letting go is the best option.)

I'm very sorry to hear this...If you do decide to see if he recovers, I'd consider scrapping the tube feed idea for a while (unless he just doesn't have the body weight to sustain himself). Euthanization can be a tough call, especially in the face of an acute injury; but sometimes its easier, and more compassionate, than delaying it.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:52 PM   #18
mxracer4life
Well when I first talked to my brother, he didn't mention it because he didn't see a problem. He never held any of the snakes, as he had only limited time to be there, just enough to water everyone, spray them if needed and feed them. I explained the behavior to my brother and he never witnessed the same behavior. My vet had asked if the snake had been restrained in any way. Of course I didn't, but I am doubting my brothers truthfulness about it now that it has happened. He has never been a biter so it was never needed. The vet is suspecting nerve damage as well, which he believes the NO-PEST STRIP could have been a contributor.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:55 PM   #19
mxracer4life
If the fracture heals, there is a chance he will still have limited mobility. He was my buddy. He sat on the couch with me and watched tv.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:48 PM   #20
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
I mean no offense, but my reaction would have been doubt. But, then again, I don't know what you use for a hide (the little wink doesn't show up very well, it was a sad attempt at levity).
I agree. But the hide he uses is a rock cave, made out of ceramic or something, its probably about 3-4lbs.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!