Egg has 2 weeks left, now is orange - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-06-2006, 05:14 PM   #1
ZenReptiles
Egg has 2 weeks left, now is orange

One of my eggs laid on March 7th, and is incubating at 85F, has turned orange. It had doubled in size and is still firm, but is orange. Is there any reason for this color? I tried rubbing it off with a q-tip and only a little comes off. It has a few weeks left, so I'm going to just leave it be for now.

And one other question... Two more eggs were laid yesterday, one I can already see pink, the other is dented. I can just throw that one out right?

Old 04-06-2006, 05:30 PM   #2
Milwaukee Reptiles
Try adding a little moisture to the dented one. If it was just a little dry it may be savable. If it is actually infertile, then it will continue it's collapse and and you'll have to dispose of it, but don't be in a rush. I've seen a pretty dented eggs end up making it.

As for the orange one, have you candled it at all? I'm guessing that it's not fertile (or has died) and is starting to show signs of it. I had an egg or two last year that developed an orange color on them and ended up not making it (I think one was fertile and one was not). If it is fertile, try replacing all of it's incubating substrate to remove some environmental conditions. Again, don't be too quick to throw them out, you never know how it'll turn out. Maybe someone with more experience with this can help out.

If you need some info on candling, see my page about it: http://www.milwaukeereptiles.com/eggFertility.php

Old 04-06-2006, 05:34 PM   #3
ZenReptiles
I have candled it a few times. I never could see anything. Not like the one I have now. I had originally thought it was infertile, but it continued to grow inside the incubator and stayed firm. I'll try again, but it's so orange you can't really see anything.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!