Small breeder question.... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
norcalCham
Talking Small breeder question....

Hello,
I have been breeding chameleons for a few years now and have recently been selling quite a bit with payments coming via paypal. My concern is with Uncle Sam (IRS) in particular. I dont have a business license and am pretty sure that I dont want or need one. Im only talking about a potential of selling $5000 - $10000 worth of animals at best. With expenses and reinvesting the majority of what is made back into my hobby/business is it just a matter of keeping good records of my expenses and transactions in case of an audit. I dont need them poking around thinking Ive made tons of extra cash, lol. I just mention the Paypal part because that would be an easy verifiable way for the govt. to see how much in sales I have had. Just looking to the future to make sure I cover my bases and do things the correct way
Thaks for any and all input!
Jason.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
CrocEnc
Hi Jason- short answer yes they can gleen info from CC companies who report that info to them. The positives of reporting your income is the ability to take deductions that are involved in your business activity.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
norcalCham
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocEnc View Post
Hi Jason- short answer yes they can gleen info from CC companies who report that info to them. The positives of reporting your income is the ability to take deductions that are involved in your business activity.
Hi Chris, thanks for the feedback! In order to take the deductions would I have to actually get a business license?

Old 04-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
CrocEnc
Different states vary in their business setups but in general you just need a DBA and you can use your SS # as your tax ID. You would just file your taxes as normal reporting the income as well as including your deductions. They only tax actual income which would be the difference between the two figures. Be careful that you are functioning as a business and keep good records as inappropriate hobby deductions are often an audit flag. Just be honest in your accounting and you will have no problems.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:53 AM   #5
norcalCham
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocEnc View Post
Different states vary in their business setups but in general you just need a DBA and you can use your SS # as your tax ID. You would just file your taxes as normal reporting the income as well as including your deductions. They only tax actual income which would be the difference between the two figures. Be careful that you are functioning as a business and keep good records as inappropriate hobby deductions are often an audit flag. Just be honest in your accounting and you will have no problems.
Thanks again for the advice!

Old 04-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
bcr229
OP, while you may not be "running a business" you will want to hang on to any receipts for your expenses if you accept PayPal. PayPal and other merchant processors are legally required to report certain payment data to the IRS if you exceed $20,000 AND 200 transactions within a calendar year. Just in case you do get one, your expense receipts offsetting all of your hobby income will help you avoid a tax bite.

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/ma...ng_us/IRS6050W

Old 04-17-2013, 02:19 AM   #7
norcalCham
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
OP, while you may not be "running a business" you will want to hang on to any receipts for your expenses if you accept PayPal. PayPal and other merchant processors are legally required to report certain payment data to the IRS if you exceed $20,000 AND 200 transactions within a calendar year. Just in case you do get one, your expense receipts offsetting all of your hobby income will help you avoid a tax bite.

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/ma...ng_us/IRS6050W
Thanks so much for the info, thats what I am doing

Old 04-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #8
Mafia89
This is why criagslist and local sales/trades are king

Old 04-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #9
Gloryhound
According to actual law you also have to charge and pay your states sales tax, unless you are selling out of state.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:19 AM   #10
norcalCham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloryhound View Post
According to actual law you also have to charge and pay your states sales tax, unless you are selling out of state.
Thanks!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!