is this a desparate business in need of funds? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-09-2006, 12:46 PM   #1
Ed Clark
Thumbs down is this a desparate business in need of funds?

RAN ACROSS AN AD ON KS FOR MOJAVE BALL PYTHONS FOR $800.00 AD WAS POSTED BY MORPH KING REPTILES.IT SEEMS THAT THE GOING PRICE FOR MALE MOJAVES IS 1200.00 - 1500.00 WHY WOULD THEY UNDER CUT EVERY OTHER BREEDER BY SO MUCH.IS THIS JUST A BUSINESS THAT IS SO DESPARATE FOR MONEY THAT THEY WOULD SELL FOR WHATEVER THEY CAN GET ?

Old 08-09-2006, 01:03 PM   #2
RJBILBY
Mkr

Everything I can find about MKR is positive. Even on this BOI. They just seem to have produced large numbers of certain Morphs so are trying to pass deals on to the public. Read the forum on KS and look at the number of clowns they hatched this year.
Rick

Old 08-09-2006, 02:09 PM   #4
harrellharrell
I spoke to Joe at MKR earlier in the season about a yellow blush, and it turned into a conversation about some other stuff. Essentially he said that if he has a chance to offer a chance to some hobbyists that are just getting started with little capital, he will. I don't think he's undercutting the market. I think that he just has more than he needs to sell and is offering them at a reduced rate for the time being. This one "sale" that he is offering will in no way lower market value unless everyone else follows suit. When he sells out of these, the market returns to normal. (I think! LOL)

Old 08-09-2006, 02:40 PM   #5
Bill & Amy
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrellharrell
I spoke to Joe at MKR earlier in the season about a yellow blush, and it turned into a conversation about some other stuff. Essentially he said that if he has a chance to offer a chance to some hobbyists that are just getting started with little capital, he will. I don't think he's undercutting the market. I think that he just has more than he needs to sell and is offering them at a reduced rate for the time being. This one "sale" that he is offering will in no way lower market value unless everyone else follows suit. When he sells out of these, the market returns to normal. (I think! LOL)
Sounds like a used car commercial to me!!!! He is out to make money as fast as he can!!! Do you think it was an accident this big "sale" happened just before Daytona?

Old 08-09-2006, 02:53 PM   #6
HerpKeeperVA
Why do people get so negative about someone offering a better price on a snake? Someone has to help out us poor folks, lol. I was actually thinking about getting one from him, since he offers payment plans, and I have yet to see anything negative about this guy. I find nothing wrong with his sale at all, and I'm glad he supports the new members of the hobby! If you don't like it, don't read his ads, and don't buy from him. Simple as that.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:00 PM   #7
Ed Clark
lisa,this is more about protecting your investment,and yes buying a ball python morph these days is a serious investment.and you would hope for a little bit of return on your investment.right.hes not supporting the little guy as you stated,hes trying to pick your pockets for $800.00

Old 08-09-2006, 03:16 PM   #8
harrellharrell
You do have a point there. I was not trying to defend him. I saw the ad a couple of weeks ago and was stunned too. It was on reptileauctions I believe. I just was telling everyone what he said to me in the conversation I had with him. In light of it happening just before Daytona though... I didn't put 2 and 2 together... I know I still have alot to learn. I still think that this won't have a huge long term effect on the mojave market though. But as I said. I still have a lot to learn and it's just my opinion.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:47 PM   #9
SPJ
This is exactly what I was talking about a few weeks ago.

The spider, pastel, and mojave market are seeing some really screwy prices lately.
Although, with MKR doing it now, this kills the theory of small time breeders advertising at low prices to get rid of a few animals.
MKR could literally flood the market with morphs and cause others to drop price just to move stock.
Look what happened when Lazik unloaded a ton of centralians. The price has gone down on them substantially and never recovered.
It's disgusting to think that a year or 2 ago you paid X amount of dollars for an animal and if you were to try and sell it now (as a sub adult no less) you would not even get back your original investment much less the costs associated with raising it from a baby to a sub adult.

MKR knows that people save up to get deals at Daytona and rarely buy morphs prior to that show. This is a way to undercut everyone, sell a bunch of animals at rock bottom prices now, and most likely negatively impact the breeders who have tables at Daytona.

With animals going down 50% or more in value in a year, eventually people are going to think twice about buying any morphs. The consumers is going to take the attitude of "why buy it now when you can get 2 or maybe 3 for the same price next year".

Old 08-09-2006, 08:51 PM   #10
Clay Davenport
I must say I'm not as surprised by this move coming from MKR as I would have been from another large breeder. Their slogan from the start was "we sell for less". When they first started producing balls they pissed off several of the larger breeders by undercutting, and now they've just taken it to the extreme.
They are just another of several breeding operations that bought their name rather than worked for it. They took a pile of money right off the bat and instantly put together a big breeding operation and now their in the position to make their money and everyone else be damned.

Then Joe has the gall to say he's giving back to the customer. Yeah right, he's giving it all right, sticking it right to all his previous customers. If you paid MKR $3500 or whatever for a mojave last year and saw that add wouldn't you be a little pissed?

The fact he's having this sale a week before Daytona is no coincidence. A lot of people put back funds all year in preparation for some purchases at Daytona. Right now, they have their money ready to take with them. What do you think the people who were planning on buying 2 or 3 mojaves there are going to do? They were expecting to pay $1200 or so each, but here they are for 800, no reason to wait until Daytona now.

Quote:
Why do people get so negative about someone offering a better price on a snake? Someone has to help out us poor folks, lol. I was actually thinking about getting one from him, since he offers payment plans, and I have yet to see anything negative about this guy. I find nothing wrong with his sale at all, and I'm glad he supports the new members of the hobby! If you don't like it, don't read his ads, and don't buy from him. Simple as that.
I see comments like this regularly, and to be honest they are always made by people who don't have morphs and wish like hell they did.
A better price is one thing. If a mojave is selling for $1500 normally, $1300 is a better price, $800 is screwing everyone else producing them and your past customers, aside from just being a stupid move in and of itself when he would have just as easily sold the snakes for $1200 instead of 8.
Someone has to help you poor folks out though. Well, that might be true if you demand instant gratification. I'm a poor folk too, but I have put over 15 years into breeding snakes slowly working my way into the more expensive ones. I remember when the first albino balls were available in the early 90s. I admired them for over 10 years, bought my first one a few months ago. I've never been in a hurry, and never intend to make a living from breeding snakes, but I do maintain respect for other breeders who do, and the breeders who have put in the time and effort to bring these animals to the market in the first place. I also respect my customers enough not to slap them in the face by cutting my prices 75% after they bought one when the market has not dictated it.

Had you actually paid 3K for one of these snakes last season would you still be so happy that he was selling them now for 800. How about next year when you'd have your first offspring, maybe 2 or 3 of them, and he's selling them for $300?
There's a much bigger picture involved than just providing someone with a pet to hang around their neck while they watch TV.

People can say "oh, I just do it for the love of the animals" all they want. Well, I guarantee you they are not producing $2500 snakes. We all love the animals, but it's a whole different ball game once you cross the line between pet and investment, and most people on the pet side of the equation cannot see it from the investment perspective.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!