Old Threads - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:31 PM   #1
sschind
Old Threads

I'm sure this has been brought up before but usually it is brought up in an old thread that has been dug up by someone not paying attention to the dates of the original post. I have a couple of questions and perhaps a solution. I am sure these have been addressed before as well but I have never seen a decent answer so I will bring them up again.

1. Why can't the classifieds sections have a set amount of time, after which the threads would either be deleted,or automatically locked (I'm thinking 6 months) If its a programming thing that would make it too difficult I understand but if it could be done I see absolutely no reason why not to do it. If someone opens an old add and wants to contact the originator they can still PM or email them.

2. Why do threads in the classifieds have to allow responses at all. If I were running the deal (and I am not saying I want to Rich) I would make the classifieds section read only and the only person who could add to a thread would be the originator to add pictures or other pertinent information. Make it so that if you are interested you have to contact the person through PM or Email. That would eliminate the 20 posts of "could you please post individual pictures of each of the 57 females red eye tree frogs you have available"

3. If someone responds to an old ad I would suggest you PM or email them of the fact. If you make a post to the effect "This thread is 4 years old man" all you do is bring it to the top again, and make others feel obligated to respond with "I want some of your gators too" just to p**s you off.

It may not be a big deal but I see some people get worked up some thing that should have a reasonably easy fix.

Just some ideas. Like I said, I am sure they are not new but I have not seen any answers to them so I thought I would bring them up again.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:51 PM   #2
hhmoore
Classified ads over a year old are now locked. Sometimes, one will slip through, as we do this according to the date of the last post (there really is no other way).
As for not allowing posts to classifieds, this was (sort of) done briefly when the classifieds became a paid service. The problem was that not everybody allows PMs and emails from the membership; and that due to spam filters, some people do not receive site generated emails. Everybody posting an ad has the option of closing it, so people cannot post...I used to close all of mine, but I found that I had better luck selling with them open (even if nobody posts a comment/reply).

Old 09-20-2007, 08:59 AM   #3
sschind
Thanks Harald

I was not aware about the year old threads.

I kind of thought that about the locked threads. In addition to the reasons you gave I would add that many people are too lazy to go through the extra steps it takes to PM or email someone.

I have noticed that it doesn't seem to be as big a problem as it used to be. I guess the 1 year lock thing does work except for, as you said, the few that slip through.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!