1.3 breeding Group, hoping to get breeding soon. - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-18-2004, 09:41 PM   #11
Sand&SunReptile
Thank you both for the advice. I have a gram scale, but it isnt the most most accurate. I can get it accurate to within 2 or 3 grams. Close enough I guess, they will be pumped full of food when they lay, before they get fully gravid with their second. Plus the calcium bowl in there to keep them good on that side.
I'm hoping to get some screamer babies.
I'll try getting myself a copy.

Old 09-18-2004, 09:44 PM   #12
SquanGeckos
ok...its hard to tell how much experience people have by just a post or two.

exposure to normal daylight is all that is needed. i can't say if its temperature or photo period that really causes leos to become gravid. they say its temps...and it may really be...that's what the books say...but just let nature do its thing. i do know that exposure to an already gravid female, even if they are just in the same room, will promote other females to become gravid. I'd say, put your colony or colonies together this fall..let them get used to each other, and then introduce your male in february for a couple of weeks, then take him out for a couple weeks, and re-introduce him. it worked for me.

just keep doing your homework. you're going to get varying responses...take notes and keep learning. you'll find what works best for you.

michael
surfgecko.net

Old 09-19-2004, 12:04 AM   #13
Sand&SunReptile
Yea.
They are all together now, and will be seperated for the breeding feast LOL.
Thank you for the info. I'll make sure you get pics of eggs and hatchlings.
How long is the usual incubation period?

Old 09-19-2004, 01:04 AM   #14
groovygeckos
30 to 70 days

please ? buy a book or 2 !

Old 09-19-2004, 01:11 AM   #15
Sand&SunReptile
What is it with this buy a book crap.
Its already been recomended pal.
And did you fail to read I have no questions about maintenance, I am fine in that department. Books arent helpful enough with breeding. Because you always have ?s and the book cant help. So I figure a real breeder is the best way to go for questions.
Thanks for nothing though.

Old 09-19-2004, 01:41 AM   #16
groovygeckos
Wink from a "real-breeder" who has learned alot from these books

i did answer your question my friend 30 to 70 days (depends on temps) ...."nothing" boy o boy ..... all that i know is from reading many books and websites ....alot of these were written or partially writen by leopard gecko breeders ,and yes "real-ones " too ! all of which have had plenty of info on breeding .. everything i needed to know was right there just waiting for me ..that is all im saying ... sorry for you to get the wrong idea ...only trying to help ! this seems to be "nothing" to you ...yet still i am here offering my "non-help" ...... it is a good idea to read on this for yourself .. it is a good suggestion ... and that is the best "nothing" i can offer .....dont always think that "joe-shmoe" will give you the correct or complete answer , because then you just might get ahead of him somehow .....this can be competitive .....go to a search engine and type in breeding leopard geckos or leopard gecko breeding ...sure you will find alot to read and will easily learn alot !

Old 09-19-2004, 07:01 AM   #17
Sand&SunReptile
Books can be very helpful indeed.
I should have noted I already found out incubation temps, by way of post. I found that on Tremper's site, while serfing over, and reading his little thing on lower temps giving your leo's darker pigmentation. During Incubation that is.
I am just a very inquisitive person. I will have a million questions of breeding after I read the book.
I've red other "____ manuals" which were great for teaching me the basics and whatnot before getting the animal. But you're going to have questions, regardless. At least I am.
So I take it here, to get some breeder's advice.
Besides, ya never know who will have some good advice.

Old 09-19-2004, 10:02 AM   #18
lostkauze
incubation

Some big breeder incubates females at 73* or in that neighborhood... I want to say Albey, but I'm not 100%

Michael

Old 09-19-2004, 10:02 AM   #19
groovygeckos
actually lower temps

will cause leos to turn darker especially albinos (even after hatching) need 90 degrees to prevent this !

Old 09-19-2004, 12:02 PM   #20
Sand&SunReptile
The only problem there is a probability of all males. That means if they dont sell, then you will be left with animals needing seperate housing to prevent fighting, nipped tails, and the like.
Ive read earlier, that temps about 85 produce a mix of males and females. But they can be bad breeders.
Any more incubation advice would be great.
Do people sacrifice darker color for getting a female? Or do males sell better to the general public because of their colors?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!