Oddball rosy neo - what morph? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-17-2022, 12:26 PM   #1
Socratic Monologue
Oddball rosy neo - what morph?

Wondering what might be up, genetically speaking, with this neonate rosy. Missing much of the expected orange tones, though it is light in color and eyes are light so not obviously axanthic or anery. Visually it looks like a line bred ghost.

Pairing was mother to son, so possible recessive gene in play.

Photos of the snake in question, and a littermate for comparison, both right after first shed.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2023, 07:03 PM   #2
Socratic Monologue
Updated photo of this one as a yearling. Had another litter this season with a couple more like it, in odds that match up with a recessive gene.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2023, 10:58 PM   #3
Randall Turner
Do you have any educated guesses at what's going on?

Old 08-10-2023, 11:15 PM   #4
Socratic Monologue
Looks anerythristic to me, just based on online photos.

There are anery Anzas -- some of these are supposedly of wild-caught origin (has been claimed to possibly be the result of someone letting a generic coastal anery loose in the Anza Borrego area), and I guess there was some known crossing of coastal anerys into Anzas.

But the ones I'm getting don't look like those, at all. Mine look more like Pioneertown anerys: light blue eyes and really washed out light color overall. Might be the same anery gene that's in P-town, and it just turned up here.

There are probably a few simple mutations that can cause anerythrism, and they might be common enough that if we do enough inbreeding we'll find them.

I will have more evidence when I breed this girl to a presumed het (maybe quicker if I get a visual male I can breed back to a presumed het female) to see what the offspring ratios are.

Old 11-24-2023, 03:48 PM   #5
Socratic Monologue
Here's one of the 2023s showing this coloration, and another shot of the 2022 that is posted in the first two posts of this thread. These are both taken with an iPhone set to standard color saturation (the photos in the first two posts of this thread were taken with a DSLR with the color balance mis-set; I should take some photos with a gray card).

I did also get to compare tongue color. Regular Anza Borregos (mine, anyway) have a black tongue with a red-brown tip. These have a black tongue with a lighter tip, apparently without the reddish cast.
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!