Exotic, wild animal decisions will be up to the DNR - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
EricWI
Exotic, wild animal decisions will be up to the DNR

Exotic, wild animal decisions will be up to the DNR

CHARLESTON — If you own a giraffe, Bengal tiger or bull elephant, the Division of Natural Resources might take an interest in you in the year ahead.

Just what kinds of “wild and exotic” animals West Virginians may own will be up to the DNR, under SB477 approved Saturday by the House of Delegates.

Basically, the measure defers the decision on animals not indigenous to West Virginia up to the DNR in the rule-making process — a move that didn’t sit well with one outspoken opponent.

Delegate Larry Kump, R-Berkeley, noted the bill was inspired by the escape of several foreign animals last year in Ohio, posing a threat to the public.

Kump said a number of his constituents oppose the idea of letting the DNR decide via rule-making the types and numbers of such animals they may possess.

“This has struck a nerve with the people that own some exotic and some not-so-exotic animals,” Kump said.

“Their confidence in the rule-making procedure is not good. Their confidence is slim and none, and slim has left town. They tell me it’s bad enough the government tells them what to do with their lives but now we’re involved with regulating their pets.”

Kump said he has received “a boatload” of correspondence on the bill, and people are unsure which animals are covered.

“That just stirs it up even more,” he said.

“I really don’t think it should take a village to raise a parrot.”

Judiciary Chairman Tim Miley, D-Harrison, said the bill leaves the task of deciding on exotic animals with the DNR, plus it allows ample time for public comment.

Delegate Carol Miller, R-Cabell, told the House she has raised bison for a number of years, noting they were given federal protection in the administration of President Teddy Roosevelt.

Miley told her the federal protection isn’t related to the definitions of the state bill.

Nor, he assured Delegate Erikka Storch, R-Ohio, would it cause any impact on Wheeling’s zoo.

The bill cleared the chamber on a 73-27 tally.

Among those voting against it were Delegates Ray Canterbury, R-Greenbrier, Marty Gearheart, R-Mercer, and John O’Neal, Rick Snuffer and Linda Sumner, all R-Raleigh.

The bill was advocated by the state chapter of the Humane Society of the United States.

Another pet project of the organization — the regulation of commercial dog breeding outfits — wasn’t taken up in the House, although it cleared the Senate.
http://www.register-herald.com/local...-up-to-the-DNR

Old 03-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
snowgyre
I know people are nervous and rightfully so about this bill, but at least the legislature is giving DNR some freedom here. I'd trust DNR to make sound decisions more than politicians. Even in Florida, Fish and Game make better decisions than, say, Salazar.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:19 AM   #3
zooherper
I work at that zoo in Wheeling, and the DNR is turning to us for input. I'm doing my best to ensure herps are fairly treated by our recommendations.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:26 AM   #4
AppEcto
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooherper View Post
I work at that zoo in Wheeling, and the DNR is turning to us for input. I'm doing my best to ensure herps are fairly treated by our recommendations.
That's good news at least! I hope you're able to convince them to focus on large, potentially dangerous animals rather than anything non-native with scales.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
dumje
Bottom line is the industry needs to have regulations....they must be acceptible to us....and be set up to prevent another Ohio

Old 03-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
pendragon_j
Nothing can prevent another Ohio. That was one sad man who was irresponsible with something potentially lethal and then killed himself. I wonder if he would wave owned a distillery and opened the vats to set the town on fire if they would be banning alcohol right now? Or if he owned a gun store? The law is a knee jerk reaction banning something people are afraid of because they know nothing about it. It doesn't matter what the guy used to try and harm others, people willing to put others at risk can always find a way.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
geck123
where does the bill stand as of 3/20.i hope no news is good news !!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!