Response from Lou Barletta - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
gandabrenzo
Response from Lou Barletta

Here is my response I got from Congressman Lou Barletta regarding H.R.511.

Dear Mr. Brenzovich:

Thank you for informing me of your opposition to H.R. 511,a bill to amend title 18, United States Code, to prohibit the importation of various injurious speciesof constrictor snakes. Your thoughts on this important matter are most welcome and appreciated.

As you know, snakes canbe a lethal species and attack when threatened by a human being. Snake bites can potentially be lethal. It is especially important to be cautious when engaging in outdoor activates in areas where snakes maylive.

On March 9, 2011, Representative Thomas Rooney (FL) introducedH.R. 511, a bill to amend title 18, United States Code, to prohibit the importation of various injuriousspecies into the United States. If enacted, this legislation would amend the federalcriminal code to ban certain injurious reptiles, such as the boa constrictor, from importation into theUnited States. Presently, H.R. 511 awaits actionin the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security of the House Judiciary Committee.

Rest assured, your thoughts on this important matter willbe remembered throughout the 112th Congress. Again, thank you for contacting me and for all that youdo for our community in Northeastern Pennsylvania. Should you have further comments or questions onthis, or any other issue, please contact me at my Hazleton, Taylor, Wilkes-Barre, or Washington, D.C.office.

Very truly yours,

Lou Barletta
Member of Congress

Old 01-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
hhmoore
So he's pretty much clueless, in other words.
Quote:
As you know, snakes canbe a lethal species and attack when threatened by a human being. Snake bites can potentially be lethal. It is especially important to be cautious when engaging in outdoor activates in areas where snakes maylive.
(or should I say that the aide, or secretary, that responded is clueless?)

Old 01-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
AbsoluteApril
Crazy!

This was the response from my congressman Peter Stark (to the form letters sent out by USARK)

Dear Ms. Yohn :

Thank you for contacting me regarding the proposed Fish and Wildlife Service rule that would prevent the unregulated importation and interstate transport of nonnative constrictors.

This rule serves a good purpose. There is no need for people in the US to import these kinds of snakes and sell them as pets. People should not own snakes that grow to be so large that they become a threat to the surrounding environment and to the owners themselves.

Sincerely,

Pete Stark
Member of Congress

Old 01-25-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
gandabrenzo
This was my reply to his reply;

Mr. Barletta,

I am ashamed to admit that I had voted for you in the last election. Your views on this matter do not make much sense. The studies done by the USGS have been discredited by the scientific community and have been said they are not to be used on the basis of legislation. I am attaching links to the studies done by actual peer reviewed boards that should be used in making legislation. I would also like to ask you of you know the number of deaths each year attributed to pet constrictor snakes? It 0.4 deaths per year from an estimated 2 million pet snakes in the US, dogs account for an average of 32 deaths per year Horses are about 20. So my question to you is what is more dangerous? Another fact is with all accounted pet snake deaths in the US with the exception of 1 it is always the owner of the animal that is killed making it not a public hazard. Most deaths caused by dogs are to unfamilar people to the animal. Again, which is more dangerous?

I would hope you reconsider your viewpoint on these magnificent animals and I would be pleased to meet with you and introduce you to a wonderfull animal that you may not have ever considered.

Sincerely,

George Brenzovich

Old 01-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
Gatorhunter1231
May I ask where you are getting the info for attacks? I need a linkable source to spread around.
Thanks

Old 01-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
gandabrenzo
Wow, that is crazy April, I'll never move to CA or florida with people like that in charge.

Here is the link I found the numbers on animal deaths, pet snakes are not included because thay are so rare.
http://historylist.wordpress.com/200...ed-by-animals/

Old 01-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
Gatorhunter1231
thanks

Old 01-25-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
reptilebaby
I don't want to demonize other animals, because I don't want to have them start banning ALL animals.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:46 AM   #9
gandabrenzo
The agenda of these special interest groups is to ban all pet ownership. They ate starting with "easier" targets then will move on up to birds, fish, small mammals, etc... Until they get to dogs and cats.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #10
Snake-Queen
This is what I received from Kay Hagan:

January 20, 2012

Dear Friend,

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns about the decision by the US Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) to classify certain large constrictor snakes as injurious. I greatly appreciate hearing your thoughts on this important issue.

On January 17, 2012, the FWS finalized a rule that bans the importation and interstate transportation of four nonnative constrictor snakes. The final rule lists the Burmese python, the yellow anaconda, and the northern and southern African pythons as injurious wildlife under the Lacey Act because these snakes pose a threat to the Everglades and other sensitive ecosystems.

Under the injurious wildlife provisions of the Lacey Act, the Interior Department is authorized to regulate the importation and interstate transport of wildlife species determined to be injurious to humans, agriculture, horticulture, forestry, or wildlife in the United States.

While I understand your concerns with the final rule, I believe the scientists at the FWS have tried to make this new regulation as practical as possible. However, be assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind as the FWS considers similar regulations in the future.

Again, thank you for contacting my office. It is truly an honor to represent North Carolina in the United States Senate, and I hope you will not hesitate to contact me in the future should you have any further questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Kay R. Hagan

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!