Rhac Scenting? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-06-2010, 04:04 AM   #11
Zach Spyker
If I had to resort to something like a tree frog feeder what species have been used?

Old 01-06-2010, 06:31 PM   #12
Helenthereef
Hi Zach,

Don't be put off by inexperience! I was in a similar position when I started with Candoia - I used to keep a variety of snakes including Corn/ Rat snakes, Ball Pythons and a Boa, but it was a LONG time ago. I started to keep Candoia because I got neonates in a happy accident, and even though I was very out of snake practice I found the previous reptile experience (mixed with a fairly healthy dose of common sense and some good advice from forums such as this one) was more than adequate - once you get them onto the right food they are really an easy snake to keep.

Further to food options, a friend of mine gives his (larger) C.b.bibroni whole (fresh but dead) fish, interspersed with chicken portions, and she's prospering. I'm thinking of trying it with my larger females. They were wild caught, found hanging out by a creek, and love to bathe, so I figure it's worth a try.

In the wild Candoia bibroni bibroni feed on geckos, frogs, birds (probably fish), rats and fruit bats, and which they prefer seems to be governed only by where they are and how large they are. I don't feed live food ever, as I prefer snakes who feed politely without striking, but mine feed in my hand, in a feeding box from tongs, and in a feeding box with food on the floor.

I think they are more flexible than people give them credit for - but sometimes (like any other snake) they go off food for no apparent reason, and the trick is not to panic and wait them out, (unless they start to lose weight of course).

Re frog species I don't know, I've never tried it. However if my gecko experiences are anything to go by, I don't think it really matters as long as the frog in question DOES NOT have toxic secretions through the skin (as many toads and tree frogs do, so check that out).

Keep us posted, and pictures are always nice once you have made a purchase (but start another thread for that as "Rach scenting" won't attract as many viewers as "New baby boa!")

Old 01-06-2010, 11:24 PM   #13
Twizted Paths
I have a note saying florida cubans are deadly toxic to them but I can't for the life of me remember exactly what I was referring to

Sorry

I have plenty of experience with snakes and lizards but I still get nervous anytime I get a new species.

I'm still nervous with mine but that's just because of all the horror stories I read. They're such awesome little guys & I'm thrilled somebody else is thinking of giving them a chance

Please remember to get us some pictures once you take the leap & get yours settled in

Old 01-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #14
SamanthaJane13
Okay-I'm NOT a snake keeper, but a few years ago, my daughter was interested in getting a SI Ground boa, and I have issues feeding animals that I keep as pets to other animals, so I asked around, and was told that there is ONE scenting product that is ABSOLUTELY IRRESISTIBLE to just a about EVERY snake. I swear on my geckos... The under part of the skin taken from a piece of Kentucky Fried Chicken. Just peel the skin off, rub the slimy underside of the skin on whatever you're trying to feed to the snake, and you're in business. Now-I've never tried it myself, but I've watched others do it...AND IT WORKS!!!! The picky eater scarfed that mouse down like it was chocolate!!! I hope this helps!!!

Old 01-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #15
Helenthereef
I'm amazed with the KFC thing. It must be the "Secret Ingredient!. Or maybe nothing can resist MSG???? I'm going to have try it just for the hell of it (but I am NOT taking them down town for Saturday night treats!).

Re the tiny size of the neonates, I am wondering whether if babies might take guppies. Never tried it, but I may have a pregnant female (unconfirmed) and if she does give birth, I might experiment a bit. I do think scenting pinkies with fish skin may be effective, but again it's something I haven't tried.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:37 PM   #16
Twizted Paths
Be sure to post about that! I have an emergency rack plan for if mine is only fat because she's preggers but neonate food plans are still iffy, though I do know where I can get minnows year round. I have my fingers crossed that mine's not.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:48 PM   #17
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizted Paths View Post
I have an emergency rack plan for if mine is only fat because she's preggers . I have my fingers crossed that mine's not.
Think that's the first time I've ever heard that on this site!

Old 01-07-2010, 07:52 PM   #18
Twizted Paths
Even in a room full of strange people I still manage to be the oddball

Old 01-07-2010, 07:52 PM   #19
Helenthereef
Oh, and something I forgot to mention - you can (with a bit of effort) get neonates to take gecko TAILS, so if you don't want to feed geckos, but either are prepared to manhandle geckos until they drop their tails (please don't beat me, gecko lovers!) , or maybe can get accidentally dropped tails from a breeder, you CAN have a food source without killing them. Would also work for making scenting slurry I guess.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:39 AM   #20
HyderHouseHerps
I keep SI grounds, and mine would just about ONLY eat house geckos. They refused anoles, minnows, live pinkies, green tree frogs, african dwarf frogs, bugs, (I was desperate), etc.
I think the key with mine was habit. Once I got them to take the house geckos from a certain pair of tongs, they just always struck at that pair of tongs coming. I think I scented maybe 3 meals, if that. They also like to be surprised by their food so you might try making their prey dance into their hiding place with you out of sight lol. Mine love that!! good luck! I love candoias.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!