Shipping 101 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 10-14-2003, 12:13 PM   #1
Sasheena
Question Shipping 101

I finally did it. I shipped a snake! How nervous I was, and how careful in packing the animal. Temperatures were a bit low on the receiving end, but 100 degrees here on the shipping end, so I couldn't do a heat pack, and couldn't do a cold pack. But I just heard that she arrived fine, and I'm breathing easy.

When I was packaging up the animal for shipping, I tried to remember every thread on this site that has discussed the good and the bad ways of shipping. I tried to do it right, and she arrived alive, slightly cool, and healthy.

I think it would be nice to have a sort of "shippping 101" for those who are new to this hobby and to shipping. It would be especially nice for it to be in one location.

Some of the things of interest to me:

1. How should you mark the box?
2. How should you pack the box?
3. How should the snake itself be packaged inside the package?
4. What temperatures should decide if you include a heat pack, a cold pack, or neither?

I'm sure there are more questions I have but those are all that come to mind at the moment. What I did for my first ever shipment of a snake was the following:

1. How should you mark the box?

I marked it "Live Harmless Reptile" and below that "Lampropeltis Getula Goini" also had marked "Fragile" and "do not expose to extreme temps."

2. How should you pack the box?

I cut some styrofoam to fit on all six sides of the box. It was NOT the most professional job, but it was solidly done. Inside the styrofoam I used crumpled newspaper to act as further insulation and as a buffer.

3. How should the snake itself be packaged inside the package?

I put the snake in a glad disposable container, with holes in it, and a couple of crumpled papertowels that almost filled the container. I let the snake slither into the papertowels and then shut it up.

4. What temperatures should decide if you include a heat pack, a cold pack, or neither?

Since it was 100 here and 70 at the destination, I opted for no heat or cold pack. The snake was in an air conditioned facility until pickup at 5:30 pm when the temperatures were already much lower. she arrived cool but otherwise okay. A cold pack would have just made her colder at arrival, and a heat pack would have cooked her on departure.

Anyway I would love to hear any other words of advice or a "shipping 101" type discourse. I figure that this can help more than myself, as the more people who learn proper shipping, the more reptiles will make it to their destinations alive, etc.

Old 10-14-2003, 01:31 PM   #2
Clay Davenport
I have a page on my website dealing with this topic. It includes pictures, so I'll just give a link rather than copying the text only.
http://www.arbreptiles.com/shipping/index.html

The methods outlined there have worked for me for years, and to date I have never lost an animal.
I think a thread like this is a good idea. We've been seeing more and more shipping stupidity lately, and there's simply no excuse for it, not to mention the fact that it will contribute to further pressure on our hobby.

Old 10-14-2003, 02:30 PM   #3
Sasheena
Thanks, that is an excellent webpage. Aside from using one of your least favorite shippers (UPS) I think I did an alright job.

I do believe it is important that anyone new to the shipping of reptiles do their best to make sure that they learn all of this information. I also read avidly any threads about DOA's to see if there is something to be learned... something NOT to do.

Old 10-14-2003, 04:48 PM   #4
Stardust
This is an exellent thread. And congrats on your shipping. I have yet to ship any animals. I mostly buy for personal collections. There may come a time, as I know some eggs are hatching here for me to actually have to ship. Hopefully I will do more local, BUT, I feel your nervousness, and I havent even gotten there yet.
I also read everything I can on shipping. Thanx for starting this.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!