HELP first snake: I was told not to get a milk because they musk - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-11-2007, 06:51 PM   #11
Scott Ballard
John, as far as the musking goes, ALL snakes can and will musk when frightened. Some types are just quicker to release the musk than others.

If you want a nice calm milksnake that keeps its colors well into adulthood, I'd suggest getting a normal Sinaloan milksnake. They are much calmer than the other Latin American milks, and don't get darker as they grow. They average about 4 feet in length.

If you're wanting to get a color morph like the hypomelanistic Honduran milksnake pic you posted, I'd suggest getting an albino Nelson's milksnake. They are very similar to Sinaloans and are bright yellows, pinks, whites, and reds. The Honduran milks are calm as adults, but babies are very nervous and in addition to cutting loose with musk, they also like to chew if they can get hold of you. Since you have no experience with the milks, it'd probably be best to start with one that is calm as a baby.

The $200 that you have to spend on one can probably actually get you a pair of either the normal Sinaloans or the albino Nelson's as babies.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Scott

Old 04-11-2007, 08:18 PM   #12
Clay Davenport
Saying you shouldn't get a milksnake because they musk is like saying you shouldn't get a python because they get 18 feet long. In both cases, some do, but you simply can't make a blanket statement because it's wrong.
My personal experience with milksnakes is limited to albino nelsoni and black milks. In both cases I have never had either species musk, and I've kept a good number of the nelsoni. I'm sure some specimens do, but it's just not something they are prone to.
They are also not prone to biting.

California kings however will musk readily, especially when they are younger, and are also generally more quick to bite, mainly due to a strong food response.
Other kings however are less likely to bite. Species like knoblochi, gray bands, and mexican black milks are generally more easy going than Cal kings.
Regardless, musking is little more than a minor annoyance in any species.

I agree with the previous post however and I would suggest you strongly consider an albino nelsoni. They seem to fit all your requirements well, and are beautiful snakes.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:01 AM   #13
wolf1979
i have a milk and love the snake i all so have a texas rat and friday getting a boa

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!